hey "older" Rush fans...

liddybuck01

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 17 2008, 09:54 AM)
ONE song would be released to radio before the album came out, and the only way to give it repeat listens was to call the DJ and request that it be played... then capture it on cassette from the radio.

You had to sit right in front of the stereo, waiting for them to announce the song, hold your tape player up to the speaker, and hit the play and record buttons at the same time, at the exact moment the song started to get it taped correctly.

If I still had all of those old tapes they would contain great music with the first few seconds of every song missing and half of the next song or a commercial at the end.

My first Rush concert was AFTK 8th row center at the Santa Monica Civic when I was 15. It was pretty much a life changing experience. I've seen them 51 times since then.

I think that qualifies me as an older fan.

Edited by Rushman14

QUOTE (different strings @ Dec 16 2008, 05:19 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Dec 16 2008, 03:39 PM)
I remember my 1st Rush concert, Moving Pictures at age 18. What an experience.  After the first show (of two), me and some guys followed Rush's limo after the concert.  One guy had a camera with only a flash(lol) and proceeded to continue flashing the back of the limo on the way to the Watergate hotel in DC, just to make them think we were totally crazy about them(Crazy, but not totally). When we arrived at the hotel, we were blocked from following them to the back door, but they let us in after some guy yelled "Is this what we get for dedication"(I cringed big time when he yelled this). There we were- Me and three other guys standing right there with Geddy, Neil, and Alex at the small back entrance. It was surreal. They were standing there actually waiting for US.  Just us guys and the boys right there, no-one else. I was in shock.. there was my idol Alex standing just three feet in front of me.  My vocal chords were nearly paralyzed as I asked if I could shake his hand. He said "sure!".  I was shaking and probably as pale as a ghost. They were the nicest guys, I'll never forget that. I left stunned and feeling completely spent from the adrenaline overload.  It was an experience I'll never forget and laugh about to myself once in a long while.  What you think of when you're just a kid, lmao..

Wow , what a great post and experience. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif goodpost.gif trink39.gif

Thanks Different Strings smile.gif

Part Two:

The next day (second concert date at the Capital Centre, MP tour May 1981) me and a couple guys went to the Capital Centre in the early afternoon to see if we could catch Alex and friends going into the venue before concert time. Well, amazingly, Alex showed up with his RC airplane to fly around the giant parking lot. There was a small group of about 10 guys watching Alex fly around the airplane. He then got it caught in a big tree and some brave guy actually risked his life to climb the tree to get it. Alex was sort of standing around talking to a couple guys. It was simply amazing to see my idol again standing just a few feet in front of me. Anyway, he decided to leave and started walking to the Capital Centre after his plane was finally retrieved. So their goes Alex walking by himself back to the concert hall. By nature I am not an aggressive person, and back then I was pretty shy, but something overcame my normal nature that urged me to walk up to him. It was absolutely unbelievable for me to be seeing my larger-than-life idol walking away alone. It was really surreal. So there I go, with my Archives album in hand after the lerxster. When I caught up to him I said "Excuse me Mr. Lifeson, could you please sign my Archives album?" He looked a little upset (perhaps from the plane getting stuck in the tree) and said something to the effect that "this really wasn't his work time". He did sign it and continued on. I felt guilty that I had inconvenienced him (By the way, I still have that signed Archives album somewhere!).

Later on, before the concert started, I was talking with Howard Ungerleider and Rory Gallagher outside the back door. Both of them were really nice guys. It was great to meet them. Howard gave me floor seats to the show about at the 15th row. It was a tremendous time, but I was exhausted from all the excitement. Great memories music.gif

Edited by GeminiRising79

QUOTE (MCM @ Dec 17 2008, 12:44 PM)
[then capture it on cassette from the radio. [/quote]
You had to sit right in front of the stereo, waiting for them to announce the song, hold your tape player up to the speaker, and hit the play and record buttons at the same time, at the exact moment the song started to get it taped correctly.

If I still had all of those old tapes they would contain great music with the first few seconds of every song missing and half of the next song or a commercial at the end.

rofl3.gif tongue.gif rofl3.gif

OMG how many times did we have to QUICK be ready with the 'play' and 'record' buttons, and wishing the stupid DJ would SHUT UP because you wanted the song - not some schmoe trailing into The Trees with '... bla bla on WYSL'..... always the tinny sound with the big 'chunk' at the end when you stopped - unless you were slick and had a 'pause' button

or the tiny transistor radio with the long antenna....

or someone walking in to ask you about your homework while you were trying to record rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Bernard Black @ Dec 17 2008, 06:12 PM)
QUOTE (willowroolz @ Dec 17 2008, 03:25 PM)
on the day HYF was supposed to be released, made the hour long journey home having been unable to find it, then opened up a copy of Kerrang! and saw an advert from a shop called Shades

IMMENSE, INTENSE, BUY OR f**k OFF AND DIE!!!!!!

Yep Shades was where I got all Rush's new releases, sometimes ahead of official UK release date. Proper customer service in those days.

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Dec 18 2008, 01:21 PM)
QUOTE (Bernard Black @ Dec 17 2008, 06:12 PM)
QUOTE (willowroolz @ Dec 17 2008, 03:25 PM)
on the day HYF was supposed to be released, made the hour long journey home having been unable to find it, then opened up a copy of Kerrang! and saw an advert from a shop called Shades

IMMENSE, INTENSE, BUY OR f**k OFF AND DIE!!!!!!

Yep Shades was where I got all Rush's new releases, sometimes ahead of official UK release date. Proper customer service in those days.

Yeah. I was very sad when it closed down.

I became a Rush fan in 1982 and it has been great to watch each new album (old school) come out and listen to it and realize how they have changed since the last album. Tickets were like $15 back in the 80's and the best part was...you could get in the ticket line on the day the tickets went on sale really early and actually get the best tickets because you stood in line. These days you only get good tickets if you are rich and that really SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! But there is also something to be said for finding a really great band and then realizing they have like 20 albums you have never heard before. That's pretty cool too. Go to each show you can because you never know when it will be their last tour! Lets hope there are many more!

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Dec 15 2008, 11:39 PM)
I remember my 1st Rush concert, Moving Pictures at age 18. What an experience. After the first show (of two), me and some guys followed Rush's limo after the concert. One guy had a camera with only a flash(lol) and proceeded to continue flashing the back of the limo on the way to the Watergate hotel in DC, just to make them think we were totally crazy about them(Crazy, but not totally). When we arrived at the hotel, we were blocked from following them to the back door, but they let us in after some guy yelled "Is this what we get for dedication"(I cringed big time when he yelled this). There we were- Me and three other guys standing right there with Geddy, Neil, and Alex at the small back entrance. It was surreal. They were standing there actually waiting for US. Just us guys and the boys right there, no-one else. I was in shock.. there was my idol Alex standing just three feet in front of me. My vocal chords were nearly paralyzed as I asked if I could shake his hand. He said "sure!". I was shaking and probably as pale as a ghost. They were the nicest guys, I'll never forget that. I left stunned and feeling completely spent from the adrenaline overload. It was an experience I'll never forget and laugh about to myself once in a long while. What you think of when you're just a kid, lmao..

You are one lucky guy. Good for you!!!!

My first show was Signals in 83, about 12 bucks, shirts about 12 bucks. that tour rocked, I missed GUP because of the Air Force and saw them on PW, Presto, RTB, Counterparts. Wish I had seen them on T4E when they played all of 2112. Any way, have seen all the from Vapor Trails to this year. I must say, I like the last few tours the best because no opening act, long sets. I had never seen Xanadu played in it entirety or Natural Science or Bytor, so those have been a treat. Also, never saw Between the Wheels since missing GUP. So, yeah it was great seeing them more often and hearing new stuff more often, but overall I have enjoyed the 2000's the most, except the ticket and T-shirt prices.

QUOTE (shiftinganddrifting @ Dec 17 2008, 10:03 PM)
[then capture it on cassette from the radio.

If I still had all of those old tapes they would contain great music with the first few seconds of every song missing and half of the next song or a commercial at the end. [/quote]
OMG how many times did we have to QUICK be ready with the 'play' and 'record' buttons, and wishing the stupid DJ would SHUT UP because you wanted the song - not some schmoe trailing into The Trees with '... bla bla on WYSL'..... always the tinny sound with the big 'chunk' at the end when you stopped - unless you were slick and had a 'pause' button

or someone walking in to ask you about your homework while you were trying to record rofl3.gif

HAH!!! I forgot about the silence while recording rule... the phone would ring during the song and it would then be on the tape. Now I have to wait 8 more hours until they play it again so I can tape it without a ringing telephone in the middle of it.

My cassette player with the microphone must not have had a pause button.

QUOTE (MCM @ Dec 18 2008, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @  Dec 17 2008, 02:54 PM)
ONE song would be released to radio before the album came out, and the only way to give it repeat listens was to call the DJ and request that it be played... then capture it on cassette from the radio.

HAH!!! I forgot about the silence while recording rule... the phone would ring during the song and it would then be on the tape. Now I have to wait 8 more hours until they play it again so I can tape it without a ringing telephone in the middle of it.

You guys were even worse than we were! Holding a tape recorder up to your speakers? We had a boom box with FM/cassette; everything coming off the radio went directly onto the tape, with no room noise. (But yeah, I have used your methods, when desperate.) Not the best sound quality, eh? We weren't very slick with our edits, either. Who cared? The important thing was to get the song on tape, and then play it to death. That's the name of the game!

I remember spending an entire Saturday at the park with a boom box, playing our pathetic cassette copy of "Distant Early Warning" over and over. Rewind, immediately play it again. How many times???? "Play it again, Gary!"

Next album, I heard the new Rush song for the first time on the drive to school. (Gary had taped it off the radio the night before.) I'll tell you now: it was essentially just sounds and words going by... I had no idea what Geddy was saying! Still, it sounded great. After that first listen, Gary said the song was called "The Big Money," and then I thought, "Oh, okay. That's what Geddy keeps repeating through the whole song!" We'd sit in the car during lunch at school, or during breaks from our part-time jobs, just to hear it a few more times on the tape deck.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Dec 14 2008, 07:07 AM)
i honestly can't imagine what it would've been like opening a brand new Rush album and putting it on for the first time to hear what they came up with this time. paying, what, about $10 to go see them play a show, which we now know were some of their best. i just can't fathom how awesome it must've been.

I didn't get to see the first tour but I did buy the first LP. To tell you the truth, I had a lukewarm feeling about it for a while. I got to see the Fly By Night tour at Illinois State U about a month after I picked up the LP. It was awesome. Peart coming into the band made a huge difference to my appreciation of their music. I didn't warm up to Caress of Steel right off the bat and the show we went to at Arlington Heights was the worst I've seen of the band. Geddy's vocals were strained to say the least and the guys didn't seem to be having a great time. Then came 2112 and to my ears and eyes, Rush gelled to a deeper level and it was like LIFTOFF! We saw the Roberts Stadium show in Evansville, Indiana and I'll never forget it.

After 2112, I was a convert. But get this: I've never had as much fun being a Rush fan as I have in the last 2 years. My older son is 14 and he synced up with Rush in early '07 and he got to see both of the Red Rocks shows in the Snakes tours. The first time I sat him down to play Rush for him was in '98 and that little 4-year old said: "It sounds like the singer's balls are in a vise!" But as he learned to listen to music (probably by getting into playing guitar and drums) he realized how special of a band they are. Watching that process has been really excellent for me.

----------------

After reading through the thread, I am back to edit. Thanks, this is a great thread. After rethinking, maybe I'd say that the Presto tour was a lower point for me than Carress. Reading the thread reminded me of camping out 3 nights to get 3rd row center tickets for the Permanent Waves tour. March of 1980 at McNichols Arena in Denver. Incredible. I'm not one of those Rush fans that believes that all of their work was the best that rock/progressive/whatever had to offer. Roll the Bones was a huge relief to me because I was picky about the songs on Big Money, Hold Your Fire and Presto and felt that era to be lackluster at the shows we went to. It felt to me at the time like the band's vibe was like they had been left behind by the industry. Alas, I digress.

Edited by Clue69Less

QUOTE (Geddy1001 @ Dec 18 2008, 12:02 PM)
These days you only get good tickets if you are rich and that really SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not rich but we got great seats for the '08 Red Rocks show. I sold off $500 worth of my climbing/mountaineering gear and bought two row 9 seats with the bucks. It was worth it.

QUOTE (Clue69Less @ Dec 19 2008, 11:36 PM)
These days you only get good tickets if you are rich and that really SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not rich but we got great seats for the '08 Red Rocks show. I sold off $500 worth of my climbing/mountaineering gear and bought two row 9 seats with the bucks. It was worth it.

Not if you're plummeting to earth by virtue of cheap rock climbing equipment

Edited by GeminiRising79

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Dec 20 2008, 01:06 AM)

That's not a problem. I used to teach climbing and had extra gear. I also had two big wall gear racks. I still have adequate gear for big routes.

QUOTE (Clue69Less @ Dec 20 2008, 02:50 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Dec 20 2008, 01:06 AM)

That's not a problem. I used to teach climbing and had extra gear. I also had two big wall gear racks. I still have adequate gear for big routes.

That's good. Ever thought of carrying a parachute?

I was exposed to Rush as a freshman in high school, that was 1980. My buddy tried to describe a cool song he had heard and I was inspired to find out what song it was because he didn't know the name of it. It was "The Spirit Of Radio". I was hooked on Rush immediately. I turned down a chance to go see them when they were touring in support of "Moving Pictures" banghead.gif and to this day haven't been able, for one reason or another, to see them. I'll make it one day. Edited by Mothers Boy

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 19 2008, 05:37 AM)
QUOTE (MCM @ Dec 18 2008, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @  Dec 17 2008, 02:54 PM)

You guys were even worse than we were! Holding a tape recorder up to your speakers? We had a boom box with FM/cassette; everything coming off the radio went directly onto the tape, with no room noise. (But yeah, I have used your methods, when desperate.) Not the best sound quality, eh? We weren't very slick with our edits, either. Who cared? The important thing was to get the song on tape, and then play it to death. That's the name of the game!

I remember spending an entire Saturday at the park with a boom box, playing our pathetic cassette copy of "Distant Early Warning" over and over. Rewind, immediately play it again. How many times???? "Play it again, Gary!"

Next album, I heard the new Rush song for the first time on the drive to school. (Gary had taped it off the radio the night before.) I'll tell you now: it was essentially just sounds and words going by... I had no idea what Geddy was saying! Still, it sounded great. After that first listen, Gary said the song was called "The Big Money," and then I thought, "Oh, okay. That's what Geddy keeps repeating through the whole song!" We'd sit in the car during lunch at school, or during breaks from our part-time jobs, just to hear it a few more times on the tape deck.

Yes, the luxury of being able to tape from radio directly to the cassette deck. I did graduate to that type of radio pirating later. After my older brother got a new stereo and I inherited his old one. Now that was sophistication!!!

It was about that same time that we got t.v. cable so you could put the t.v. cable into the back of the receiver and finally get a radio station clearly all the time. Before t.v. cable we could only get the Buffalo NY staion on clear cold nights.. Today's youth have it pretty good!

GeminiRising79,Dec 17 2008, 08:49 PM]

Part Two:

The next day (second concert date at the Capital Centre, MP tour May 1981) me and a couple guys went to the Capital Centre in the early afternoon to see if we could catch Alex and friends going into the venue before concert time.

Dude! I was there on the second day too! First post I have seen on here that someone on TRF was at the old Cap Centre in Maryland doing the MP tour in '81. smile.gif My first tour! Check my profile out on the best show. And hey, check my old story out below...

I was a fan from the 70's but like I said, didn't see them until MP in '81. Well, I got into them from a friend who loaned me a couple albums. Got off on them bigtime, thought they were the best thing ever, and then I came across A Farewell To Kings. I was amazed. CygnusX1 was a trip. Then, I heard the title track and get this, I started thinking, "A Farewell to Kings? Wait, hold on here a sec. To me back then, they were the Kings of Rock. But, are they giving it up for good now? Is this their last album? Forever? No more RUSH? ohmy.gif NOOOOO!!!" LOL laugh.gif

I know man, how f*cking goofy was that!?!? lol I was worried like hell for months that they were calling it quits, thought that A Farewell To Kings was indeed their 'farewell' album lol, until I finally saw that they were coming out with their next album. tongue.gif I was sooo relieved. Been rocking my ass off ever since, and loving it! 1022.gif

Edited by SiriusRushFan

That's my point. When you paid $15 for concert tickets for twenty years and the good seats now cost $500, it's kind of hard to get used to. You didn't have to sell your posessions to have enough money to get good seats for a concert.

QUOTE (Geddy1001 @ Dec 22 2008, 08:44 AM)

That's my point. When you paid $15 for concert tickets for twenty years and the good seats now cost $500, it's kind of hard to get used to. You didn't have to sell your posessions to have enough money to get good seats for a concert.

parking is now more than the seats were in early 80s.

062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 22 2008, 08:39 PM)
QUOTE (Geddy1001 @ Dec 22 2008, 08:44 AM)

parking is now more than the seats were in early 80s.

062802puke_prv.gif

Parking, there's your rip-off.

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Dec 20 2008, 08:52 PM)
GeminiRising79,Dec 17 2008, 08:49 PM]

Part Two:

The next day (second concert date at the Capital Centre, MP tour May 1981) me and a couple guys went to the Capital Centre in the early afternoon to see if we could catch Alex and friends going into the venue before concert time.

Dude! I was there on the second day too! First post I have seen on here that someone on TRF was at the old Cap Centre in Maryland doing the MP tour in '81. smile.gif My first tour! Check my profile out on the best show. And hey, check my old story out below...

I was a fan from the 70's but like I said, didn't see them until MP in '81. Well, I got into them from a friend who loaned me a couple albums. Got off on them bigtime, thought they were the best thing ever, and then I came across A Farewell To Kings. I was amazed. CygnusX1 was a trip. Then, I heard the title track and get this, I started thinking, "A Farewell to Kings? Wait, hold on here a sec. To me back then, they were the Kings of Rock. But, are they giving it up for good now? Is this their last album? Forever? No more RUSH? ohmy.gif NOOOOO!!!" LOL laugh.gif

I know man, how f*cking goofy was that!?!? lol I was worried like hell for months that they were calling it quits, thought that A Farewell To Kings was indeed their 'farewell' album lol, until I finally saw that they were coming out with their next album. tongue.gif I was sooo relieved. Been rocking my ass off ever since, and loving it! 1022.gif

Amazing. Small world, no? How fast time goes..27 years already. Seems like a dream. Too bad they did away with the capital centre sad.gif

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/tours/81may16_ticket.jpg