hey "older" Rush fans...

liddybuck01

i hope you realize how lucky you are to have grown up with Rush. i would kill to have been around for each new album release as some as you were, and to go to each tour that went with it. i honestly can't imagine what it would've been like opening a brand new Rush album and putting it on for the first time to hear what they came up with this time. paying, what, about $10 to go see them play a show, which we now know were some of their best. i just can't fathom how awesome it must've been.

being only 21(22 in like, 3 days!) and just becoming a fan, sadly, right after S&A was released, i've not experinced that Rush rush yet. i saw them in June but i'm sure it's no comparison to what they were doing 30 years ago.

so i just wanted to say that and hope that you appreciate being old! laugh.gif

i wish i had a Delorian... unsure.gif

Concerts were $12.50, and T-shirts were $15, I think.

Yeah, it was cool. 653.gif

For alot of people whom I grew up with, their favorite bands are but a distant memory.

Mine?......still rockin at the end of the first decade of the new millenium.

Like.....how f***ing cool is that???

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I got into Rush after the release of 2112, and for a few years it was indeed a great pleasure to grow up with a band getting better with each release. This of course then makes it all the more painful when the creative powers of your favourite band begin to wane and then dry up altogether. The young 'uns will never understand those feelings of hurt on discovering that the high and mighty still have feet of clay.

Luckily I am able to console myself with cheap wine and memories - ah Bingley Hall - and the corpses of the bees in my shop window.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Dec 14 2008, 04:07 AM)
i hope you realize how lucky you are to have grown up with Rush... i just can't fathom how awesome it must've been.

being only 21(22 in like, 3 days!) and just becoming a fan, sadly, right after S&A was released, i've not experinced that Rush rush yet. i saw them in June but i'm sure it's no comparison to what they were doing 30 years ago.

I'm right in the middle. (So I don't need to appreciate being "old" yet tongue.gif .) I've been a fan for a very long time. I had a few Rush 8 tracks as a kid and really got into them in my late teens but I only just saw them for the first time last May. I really wish I had seen them sooner and more often. Sort of why I'm bummed that they won't be touring again for a few more years. I have seen quite a few concerts and can honestly say that Rush was the best, by far. They blew me away and don't even get me started on how awesome it was to watch Neil perform his solo.

QUOTE (Bernard Black @ Dec 14 2008, 09:15 AM)
I got into Rush after the release of 2112, and for a few years it was indeed a great pleasure to grow up with a band getting better with each release. This of course then makes it all the more painful when the creative powers of your favourite band begin to wane and then dry up altogether. The young 'uns will never understand those feelings of hurt on discovering that the high and mighty still have feet of clay.

Luckily I am able to console myself with cheap wine and memories - ah Bingley Hall - and the corpses of the bees in my shop window.

i was at the bingley hall gig ,it was dreadfull the place is a glorified cowshed and the sound blows bigtime,rush flew into britain especially to do this show,they must of been so dissapointed.

ive never missed a rush tour since 75 and am one of the few rush fans to witness fountain of lamneth played in its entirety(arent i great and better than everybody else?) laugh.gif

Well, I'm old without the benefit of having been into Rush before last year, so where does that leave me? laugh.gif

Oh yeah, I remember...It leaves me happy that they were around to pick me up at a time when I really needed something good to come into my life, and happy that I am able to experience an appreciation and awe for what they are NOW that is unmatched by most of the fans who have been around for all these years. yes.gif

By "older" Rush fan do you mean an older person who loves Rush or a person who has been a fan for a long time. If it's the later than I guess that would include me because I have loved Rush since I was like 11 years old and I will be 25 next year. biggrin.gif

I have loved Growing up with Rush! wub.gif cool.gif

My dad would classify, though he hasn't continuously followed Rush. As a matter of fact, I know loads more about them than he does, even though he still calls them his favorite band. He first saw Rush on the Tour of the Hemispheres, which cost around $7. He had only known who Rush was for around two weeks, so that's kinda the reason that I envy him - he didn't know most of the songs they played!

After that, it took him 24 years until the Vapor Trails tour to see them again. wacko.gif He then saw the boys twice on the R30 tour, and finally took me to the Snakes and Arrows tour - my first Rush concert was the first show of the tour! I saw them 3 days later in Tampa, then saw them back in July. Though I didn't see Rush in the '70s - or even in the '80s - I still got to see my favorite band ever, and not on the "county fair" circuit like most classic rock bands are! laugh.gif

Not only am I "old" enough to appreciate the experience, (got into them with Moving Pictures, when I was 12), I also remember the novelty of being pretty much the only adolescent/teen GIRL who was really, really a hardcore fan.

My 1st Rush show was Signals (with the same 6 guys who became my "Rush group" all through high school and part of college), and I caught them on every tour after that until VT. Missed R30 as well, and finally got back on track this year.

It is great to have grown up with them. No other band has held my loyalty for so long.

you're right, xanadu, we're very lucky that our fave band still plays arenas, whereas if you're a fan of Loverboy then you're screwed laugh.gif

and it seems, by these postings, that the newer fans, such as myself, got into Rush pretty quick after first hearing them. now THAT is amazing.

and what i meant by this was not that they were better back then, but pretty much, to be as blunt as possible, i'm young, they're old, they're not going to be touring much longer. that's what kills me. i have this same hang up with my other fave band, fleetwood mac.

i always want to smack my mom because she was my age when they were in their prime and she wasn't into them angry.gif she said the "nerds" were into them. so sorry they weren't as cool as REO laugh.gif

Edited by liddybuck01

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Dec 14 2008, 11:14 AM)
you're right, xanadu, we're very lucky that our fave band still plays arenas, whereas if you're a fan of Loverboy then you're screwed laugh.gif

and it seems, by these postings, that the newer fans, such as myself, got into Rush pretty quick after first hearing them. now THAT is amazing.

and what i meant by this was not that they were better back then, but pretty much, to be as blunt as possible, i'm young, they're old, they're not going to be touring much longer. that's what kills me. i have this same hang up with my other fave band, fleetwood mac.

i always want to smack my mom because she was my age when they were in their prime and she wasn't into them angry.gif she said the "nerds" were into them. so sorry they weren't as cool as REO laugh.gif

Hey, The Beatles are my favorite band and I never got to see them in concert! rage.gif

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Dec 14 2008, 07:07 AM)
i hope you realize how lucky you are to have grown up with Rush. i would kill to have been around for each new album release as some as you were, and to go to each tour that went with it. i honestly can't imagine what it would've been like opening a brand new Rush album and putting it on for the first time to hear what they came up with this time. paying, what, about $10 to go see them play a show, which we now know were some of their best. i just can't fathom how awesome it must've been.

so i just wanted to say that and hope that you appreciate being old!  laugh.gif

i wish i had a Delorian...  unsure.gif

Hi Liddy. I was first exposed to Rush in HS with ATWAS. It was the sweet zone for Rush music. Everything up to and including Moving Pictures was simply epic, imo. I really don't think it could have gotten much better, quite like the having planets being perfectly aligned. Just get yourself the old albums and look at the covers while listening, like everyone used to do back then. That will give you a feel for how things looked and felt. You can even find tons of photos here on the net. Just fire up an old Rush cd(not a bong, lol) and look at the older photos. I have such amazing memories of Rush back then and the things I were doing at that time. Have fun..

Edited by GeminiRising79

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Dec 14 2008, 09:11 AM)
For alot of people whom I grew up with, their favorite bands are but a distant memory.

Mine?......still rockin at the end of the first decade of the new millenium.

Like.....how f***ing cool is that???

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

trink39.gif

That IS awesome, when you think about it. My favorite band when I was 15 years-old (25 years ago!) is still around, touring regularly.

Teenagers today getting into a band for the first time won't be able to say that about their (current) favorite artist, who'll have three albums, tops, and then either get dropped by their label and just completely wane in popularity until they're forgotten. Artists don't stand the test of time anymore, much less continue making relevant music into their middle-age.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Dec 14 2008, 11:14 AM)
you're right, xanadu, we're very lucky that our fave band still plays arenas, whereas if you're a fan of Loverboy then you're screwed  laugh.gif

and what i meant by this was not that they were better back then, but pretty much, to be as blunt as possible, i'm young, they're old, they're not going to be touring much longer. that's what kills me.  i have this same hang up with my other fave band, fleetwood mac.

i always want to smack my mom because she was my age when they were in their prime and she wasn't into them  angry.gif  she said the "nerds" were into them. so sorry they weren't as cool as REO  laugh.gif

Believe it or not, there was a time when REO was cool, before they went all soft-rock! tongue.gif I was 15 when ATWAS came out, and my 1st 2.gif concert was AFTK at MSA in Indianapolis. One advantage to being a young fan is that none of you had to suffer thru the 80's! (Rush is one of the few bands who got me thru that time) wacko.gif

Edited by CygXanTor

Today marks the 26 year and 3 day anniversary of my first 2.gif show.
  • Like 1

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Dec 14 2008, 08:07 AM)

laugh.gif

Ok, I was alive for 2.gif my entire life. I didn't become a fan until after Hold your Fire I didn't get to see them that tour. I went to as many as I could after that.

I wish I could've seen them more than that. However, the price of the tickets back then were as much as they are now given that inflation has brought the price up. We just reminice about then thinking that the prices were so much less.

Don't worry, I'm a Who fan as well as a Zep fan. I never saw them. So, we all have our wishes. Consider yourself lucky to be able to at least see the band once!!

2.gif on!!!

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 14 2008, 05:50 PM)
Y'know what I miss? Opening up that highly UV'ed album and your room filling with the smell of the UV. Especially 2112. Dark albums require more waterbase coating and UV, so that one had the best smell. It lasted forever too. old.gif

whats uv'd? i know exactly what youre talkign about laugh.gif

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Dec 14 2008, 06:07 AM)

not all deloreans can defy the laws of the universe... I think it was just the one