The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

what a week! I met Steve Howe yesterday and chatted with him for like 20 minutes. Nicest guy in the world. Tonight I'm seeing them at the Universal Ampitheater. Should be a good time.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 7 2009, 02:26 PM)
UK tour dates up for Yeslite on Yesworld.

No Jon.

No Yes.

Exactly. I feel like sharing something I saw on YesWorld to finish your statement: "No Jon, No Yes. Know Jon, Know Yes." biggrin.gif

I'd love to see Jon, if he'd come somewhere near here.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 7 2009, 03:01 PM)
what a week! I met Steve Howe yesterday and chatted with him for like 20 minutes. Nicest guy in the world. Tonight I'm seeing them at the Universal Ampitheater. Should be a good time.

Wow.

Excellent! yes.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 20 2009, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 7 2009, 06:26 PM)
UK tour dates up for Yeslite on Yesworld.

No Jon.

No Yes.

Yeslite coming to Dublin & Belfast.

I'll be the one at the front shouting "THERE'S ONLY ONE JON ANDERSON!!!"

Shout extra-loud for me!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 21 2009, 03:47 AM)
Benoit is great. Jon Anderson kept the band waiting for years. I am glad he is doing better but Jon is not Yes!

I don't remember Benoit writing/co-writing "Close To The Edge", "The Gates of Delirium", and "Awaken" wink.gif

Benoit is great. Jon Anderson kept the band waiting for years. I am glad he is doing better but Jon is not Yes!

And Geddy Lee is not Rush.

Have to disagree on this one.....in my mind the two are inseparably linked. Jon Anderson has given too much of himself to this band for it to be any other way.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 21 2009, 03:12 PM)

I don't remember Benoit writing/co-writing "Close To The Edge", "The Gates of Delirium", and "Awaken" wink.gif

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

...Ever feel like you've dropped the ball on ignoring a certain band? I'm beginning to feel that way about Yes.

I bought a copy of 90125 on tape in highschool. Pretty cool, OK. Not Earth-shattering, though I wonder what I'd think of it now. Haven't heard it in a couple of decades. I didn't listen to anything further, or previous. Part of it is from getting into some seriously heavy metal for awhile, so I wasn't gonna be bothered with a Yes album... Hell, I didn't even listen to rush for awhile back then. Y'know, the synth stuff. I'm still catching up on that.

Sooo... I'm in a band and the guitar player tells me he can't beleive I'm a bass player and don't know about Yes.

My wife tells me She doesn't know why Id love Rush so much and not be into Yes.

Bought a copy of Classic Yes on vinyl. Wow. These are a loose collection of songs, imagine what an album sounds like. This'll keep me busy for awhile. The record shop has a copy of Tales Of Topographic Oceans... any good? I do have a good attention span for long songs and thematic albums.

Maybe I've totally missed something here, folks.

Edited by ozzy85

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 21 2009, 02:47 AM)

Dunno... Founding member, voice of the band for 40 years (except for Drama), author of 99% of their lyrics...

I've stuck with Yes over the years through many lineup changes, but not this time. I passed on prime tickets for this tour, despite wanting to see Asia, because I couldn't stand the thought of someone else singing Close to the Edge, And You and I, etc. sad.gif

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jul 27 2009, 01:37 AM)
...Ever feel like you've dropped the ball on ignoring a certain band?  I'm beginning to feel that way about Yes.

I bought a copy of 90125 on tape in highschool.  Pretty cool, OK.  Not Earth-shattering, though I wonder what I'd think of it now.  Haven't heard it in a couple of decades.  I didn't listen to anything further, or previous.  Part of it is from getting into some seriously heavy metal for awhile, so I wasn't gonna be bothered with a Yes album... Hell, I didn't even listen to rush for awhile back then.  Y'know, the synth stuff.  I'm still catching up on that.

Sooo... I'm in a band and the guitar player tells me he can't beleive I'm a bass player and don't know about Yes.

My wife tells me She doesn't know why Id love Rush so much and not be into Yes.

Bought a copy of Classic Yes on vinyl.  Wow.  These are a loose collection of songs, imagine what an album sounds like.  This'll keep me busy for awhile.  The record shop has a copy of Tales Of Topographic Oceans... any good?  I do have a good attention span for long songs and thematic albums.

Maybe I've totally missed something here, folks.

yes.gif you have! But, better late than never. Don't know if Tales is the best Yes album to start with - I'm not saying you shouldn't buy it, it's a good album, but it's not really the best starting point. Close To The Edge or Fragile would probably be better, but I'll let some other members chime in with what they think you should get first.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jul 27 2009, 02:11 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 21 2009, 02:47 AM)

Dunno... Founding member, voice of the band for 40 years (except for Drama), author of 99% of their lyrics...

I've stuck with Yes over the years through many lineup changes, but not this time. I passed on prime tickets for this tour, despite wanting to see Asia, because I couldn't stand the thought of someone else singing Close to the Edge, And You and I, etc. sad.gif

goodpost.gif

Also, there are a few differences between the Drama lineup and Yeslite. With Drama, Jon left the band, and Rick followed, so Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes were just new members (hell, Geoff was the fourth keyboardist in Yes history). That lineup got together in the studio and recorded an album, then went on tour. With Yeslite, Jon had acute respiratory failure and was ready to tour, but was replaced by a tribute band singer, which was a dick move by Chris. Then they went on tour, which to me seems like a cash grab and not caring about the music. I know the decision has been made, and Jon will probably never be in Yes again, but this shit pisses me off. I'm siding with Jon.

Just heard Yes played at Six Flags in New Jersey. They played about four songs, less than an hour, and the show was called on account of threatening thunderstorms. Just FWIW.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 28 2009, 12:04 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 28 2009, 12:02 AM)
Going to see them tomorrow night with Asia smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Would have been cool if Europe and U.K. (Bill Bruford's old band) could have joined them as well. tongue.gif

rofl3.gif Very pun-ny.

This is Diet Caffeine Free Yes, but Ill take what I can get at this point...

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 28 2009, 12:07 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 28 2009, 12:06 AM)
Is it me or is Chris starting to look like Bea Arthur?

"And then there's Squire!"

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif laugh.gif

That old bassifyin', lyricisn', anything but tranquilizing,

Right on Squire!