The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 18 2009, 11:41 AM)
Yessymphonic has been released as a double CD. Thought you might like to know.

It's very good. The 28 minute version of Ritual is a mindblower.

It's the same gig as the DVD, Amsterdam.

I've mentioned this in Turn The Page before, but I urge you all to buy Bill Bruford's Autobiography. I've just finished it, and it's excellent.

Oh, my goodness! After posting my diatribe above on what Rhino should have done with both the 90125 and Big Generator remasters, I went and looked for what I had in realm of bonus material from this era.

I have two tracks here that I've never heard before. Didn't even know, bro. They're in rough shape though. Both seem to be live, in-studio run-throughs of songs which never made the final cut and transition from Cinema to Yes.

One eight-plus-minute track is called 'Open The Door' . It's got Squire on vocals, and I can't really make out much of the song, other than it's basic rhythm and a few guitar parts. The question is WHY wasn't this attached to a 90125 re-release?

The other track is a ten-plus-minute track called 'Don't You Know Everyone' which has a ver familiar opening. I'm trying to figure out what that opening eventually morphed into. Trevor Rabin sings on this one. Again, the listener can make out some of the basic rhythm and some vocal harmonies. Bad electronic drum fills, but the song sounds like it's got plenty of potential. A brushed-up version of this track could have been on that 90125 bonus disc I spoke about above.

Has anyone else heard these two songs?

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 31 2009, 10:56 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 30 2009, 09:56 AM)
I just Listened to "Big Generator" for the first time...

WHY THE HELL HAVE I NOT LISTENED TO THIS YET!?

It f***ing rocked!  Better than 90125

I happen to dig 90210 a bit more than any of the other important area codes in the continental United States. I especially like what they did with the re-mastering job and the addition of bonus tracks to this one. But, well, now hear me out on this idea, erm'k? Listen to the reasoning behind what I'm about to state at ya. On this particular remaster, they give the longtime YEZ fan some much-coveted treats...extra tunes from those now-mythical Cinema sessions. I'm McLovin' it! But, why not include them all? How many more times is Yes and the various record labels going to tease us and taunt us and bait us into buying more of these releases? This is not how a fan of any consequence is meant to be treated, gosh darnit.

I'll tell ya what they should have done with 90125. And, that case should serve as an example as to what now should be done with the Big Generator job. As far as I understand it, there's something like a twenty-minute version of the track 'Cinema' still in the vaults. The current remaster features three of the Cinema tracks, two with Rabin on the mic, one with Squire. Supposedly, there's a whole slate of early versions of the 90125 material that never surfaced. What should have manifested on this project is a seperate, bonus disc which would house all the important material still out there. This added cost would have been negligible compared to all the money pumped into the remastering itself. We were robbed, friends. I'm mad as heck. Vehemently so.

It's still not too late to salvage a Big Generator remaster though. There's stll a whole 'nother version of Generator out there. An early version produced and mixed by Trevor Horn. I've heard two high-gen copies of this recording which sounded awful due to all the copying and recopying. I assume that the original tapes are untainted though. What should happen with a Big Gen remaster is attaching a bonus disc with all the 'Aternate Generator' tracks, along with anything else that they might find of interest. How about getting this one right, Yes? What do they think, we won't be able to handle too much bonus material all in one serving? They underestimate the longtime Yes fan.

If they do that, they better tack on some rare live tracks from 1988! yes.gif

Jon Anderson news (I think it's safe to say that he's my favorite member of Yes): he's on Twitter ( http://twitter.com/TheJonAnderson ), got a YouTube channel ( http://www.youtube.com/user/JonAndersonOnline - no videos up YET), and he's apparently going to update his personal site. I can't wait! Edited by Xanadu93

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 3 2009, 02:41 AM)
Jon Anderson news (I think it's safe to say that he's my favorite member of Yes): he's on Twitter ( http://twitter.com/TheJonAnderson ), got a YouTube channel ( http://www.youtube.com/user/JonAndersonOnline - no videos up YET), and he's apparently going to update his personal site. I can't wait!

I was on his Twitter thingie last night and it was full of inane gibberish, which means, JON'S BACK!!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 1 2009, 04:31 AM)

I've mentioned this in Turn The Page before, but I urge you all to buy Bill Bruford's Autobiography. I've just finished it, and it's excellent.

what is it called? i read he is retiring

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 3 2009, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 1 2009, 04:31 AM)

what is it called? i read he is retiring

1022.gif

It's called The Autobiography, Yes, King Crimson, Earthworks and more.

He retired from live work on Jan 1st.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 31 2009, 11:58 PM)
The thing about 90125 is that it was almost not a Yes album.. until Jon jumped on at the last minute.... and they decided to call it a Yes album.

Big Generator sounded much less commercial than 90125, and much more traditional...which I really liked.

Less commercial than 90125? Is there now a third version of BG that I have yet to hear? 'Cause the one I'm familiar with displays the 90125 lineup of the band going back into the studio to try and conjure up the same level of commercial success as the previous effort.

With 90125, the guys kinda just happened to stumble upon a new, winning formula by a whole lotta trial-and-error. BG was a bit more contrived. With BG, they marched into the studio with the implicit goal of trying to replicate whatever was done right on the previous effort. For BG, the template was definitely 90125.

Rhythm Of Love, Big Generator and Love Will Find a Way are the songs which are meant to make the same move up the mainstream charts as Owner, Leave It and It Can Happen. Actually, Love Will Find a Way was initially deemed too Poppy and not Yes-like enough for the band and was going to be sold to Stevie Nicks. Supposedly, Trevor Rabin wrote it with her vocal in mind. When I hear it now I can totally picture what her version of the song would sound like.

As for the other songs on BG, they too match up pretty well with what was on 90125, with Shoot High and Final Eyes being as impressive, and Yes-like as the songs, Changes and Our Song. I pretty much like the two albums equally. We might have had another disc that was very close to the vision of the band displayed on these two outings if the 'Union' project wasn't undertaken next. The 'Talk' album is somewhat similiar to that earlier vision, but the material is noticably missing Chris Squire's imput, amongst a few other obvious changes.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Apr 2 2009, 11:52 PM)
Xan, man. Have you heard the two songs above from the 90125 sessions?

'Open The Door' and 'Don't You Know Everyone'.

No - where'd you get them?

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Apr 4 2009, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 31 2009, 11:58 PM)
The thing about 90125 is that it was almost not a Yes album.. until Jon jumped on at the last minute.... and they decided to call it a Yes album.

Big Generator sounded much less commercial than 90125, and much more traditional...which I really liked.

Less commercial than 90125? Is there now a third version of BG that I have yet to hear? 'Cause the one I'm familiar with displays the 90125 lineup of the band going back into the studio to try and conjure up the same level of commercial success as the previous effort.

With 90125, the guys kinda just happened to stumble upon a new, winning formula by a whole lotta trial-and-error. BG was a bit more contrived. With BG, they marched into the studio with the implicit goal of trying to replicate whatever was done right on the previous effort. For BG, the template was definitely 90125.

Rhythm Of Love, Big Generator and Love Will Find a Way are the songs which are meant to make the same move up the mainstream charts as Owner, Leave It and It Can Happen. Actually, Love Will Find a Way was initially deemed too Poppy and not Yes-like enough for the band and was going to be sold to Stevie Nicks. Supposedly, Trevor Rabin wrote it with her vocal in mind. When I hear it now I can totally picture what her version of the song would sound like.

As for the other songs on BG, they too match up pretty well with what was on 90125, with Shoot High and Final Eyes being as impressive, and Yes-like as the songs, Changes and Our Song. I pretty much like the two albums equally. We might have had another disc that was very close to the vision of the band displayed on these two outings if the 'Union' project wasn't undertaken next. The 'Talk' album is somewhat similiar to that earlier vision, but the material is noticably missing Chris Squire's imput, amongst a few other obvious changes.

Some of the songs seem more poppish - "Love Will Find A Way" and "Rhythm of Love" - and more Jon-influenced, like"Final Eyes", "Shoot High Aim Low", and especially "I'm Running". No, they aren't just like the classic Yes, but they're not as pop-influenced as the others.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 4 2009, 01:12 PM)
Some of the songs seem more poppish - "Love Will Find A Way" and "Rhythm of Love" - and more Jon-influenced, like"Final Eyes", "Shoot High Aim Low", and especially "I'm Running". No, they aren't just like the classic Yes, but they're not as pop-influenced as the others.

Shoot High is an enduring classic. Everyone that I've ever played that song for just loves it. Final Eyes definitely sounds like it could have been a song from the Classic Yes era of the band, but only if it had a slightly different production.

As for those two songs that I didn't even know that I had, I got them from a friend that I met on a Yes fan site. He has it labeled merely as 'Cinema Sessions'. There are various bootlegs out there in internetland deriving from those sessions, and I'm guessing that this collection of tracks is the same as those. It has two other tracks labeled as Jamming 1 & 2 and another earlier, longer version of Make It Easy. All of this stuff should have been included in a 90125 re-release, instead of just portions of it.

It was refreshing to unexpectedly hear some new Yes material. Then, on top of those tracks, there's another collection of things that I have here which came from another fan. These tunes I believe eventually did get an official release, but just under Jon's name, although the tracks are all demo recordings for the never-released second ABWH album. The official release was called, Watching the Flags that Fly, and it includes songs like, We Make Believe, Axis Of Love, To The Stars, Tall Buildings, She Walks Away. Not bad.

Anyone seen Jon with The Warriors?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayGGZhTc7JI&feature=related

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 7 2009, 09:28 PM)

Oh, snap, son! This one is AS shocking as that Bon Scott footage that someone recently posted. Holy cow!

Damn, is Jon's voice absolutely foul here tho! How the heck did anyone hire him for anything pertaining to music? Is it just me, or is that one bad bad voice. He's lucky that someone gave him an early break, or maybe we wouldn't have ever heard of him.

Ya have a clue what month of what year this is?

A cd worth mentioning is 90124. It's basically a bunch of Trevor's demos, most of which made it onto 90125, Talk, Big Gen & Union. It's good to hear so many classics at their nascent stages.

A must have for completists. It's on Amazon.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 9 2009, 07:53 AM)
A cd worth mentioning is 90124. It's basically a bunch of Trevor's demos, most of which made it onto 90125, Talk, Big Gen & Union. It's good to hear so many classics at their nascent stages.

I want to get that cd, but I don't yet own Union or Talk - so it'll have to wait. I did sample a few tracks fro it on iTunes, they sound pretty good!

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Apr 8 2009, 09:58 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 7 2009, 09:28 PM)

Oh, snap, son! This one is AS shocking as that Bon Scott footage that someone recently posted. Holy cow!

Damn, is Jon's voice absolutely foul here tho! How the heck did anyone hire him for anything pertaining to music? Is it just me, or is that one bad bad voice. He's lucky that someone gave him an early break, or maybe we wouldn't have ever heard of him.

Ya have a clue what month of what year this is?

I think his brother, Tony, was in The Warriors. According to Jon's website, he joined The Warriors in 1962, and left in 1967 as the band was gigging in Germany. Not sure if that video is from '67, could be likely.

QUOTE (Soni @ Apr 9 2009, 12:56 PM)
Who here likes the Union album?
is 8 members enough ^^?

No, but an army of session musicians is. laugh.gif

I heard that Rick Wakeman threw his copy out of the window because he couldn't recognize anything he played. Steve couldn't recognize anything either - the whole album was pretty much recorded by the sessions guys, at least, I think.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 9 2009, 12:53 PM)

In the same vein, Steve Howe's Homebrew 1 has some demos of songs that ended up on ABWH and Union. smile.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Apr 9 2009, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 9 2009, 12:53 PM)

In the same vein, Steve Howe's Homebrew 1 has some demos of songs that ended up on ABWH and Union. smile.gif

Yes! I forgot about Homebrew, good call there Jaye!

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 9 2009, 07:18 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Apr 9 2009, 12:56 PM)
Who here likes the Union album?
is 8 members enough ^^?

No, but an army of session musicians is. laugh.gif

I heard that Rick Wakeman threw his copy out of the window because he couldn't recognize anything he played. Steve couldn't recognize anything either - the whole album was pretty much recorded by the sessions guys, at least, I think.

It's an awful mish-mash. It could have been great. If ABWH were left alone to record the follow up to their debut, we would have gotten a great album. But Arista and Jonathon Elias had other ideas. Shame.