CYGNUS X-1 Thread

MMCXII

ok I'm thinking if there's a 'chain lightning' appreciation thread, there better damn well be one for the best song on the free rocking planet!! I love how the music fits the lyrics, especially during the space flight (I set a course...) and that groovy space music at the beginning! the playing and coordination between Neil and Ged is freakin god-like!! and then there's Alex when he comes in with the foot pedals while he's playing!! RUSH at it's finest!! and last but not least, Geddy Lee screaming "AAAALLLLL WHO DARE TO CROSS HER COOOUURRSSSE!!!!!" I sure hope I get to see this live before I die!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

P.S. don't ask me why but I even love hearing Alex's fingers squeeking on the strings around the 7:25 mark cool.gif and the heartbeat....can't forget the heartbeat! so fitting to the lyric ...mine's usually going faster by that point though!! 1022.gif

AFTK is one of my top five favorites. A buddy of mine sort of rekindled my interest in this album, and I'm loving it like nothing doing.

One of the wildest, dynamic epics , ever, by any band, let alone Rush. A favorite from the '70's. No one writes stuff like this anymore.

Musically, pretty much the most kick ass thing ever written. 1022.gif

Would've loved to have heard it live when Geddy was in his prime. sad.gif

Cygnus X-1 is great, its a keeper. No doubt one of the best things ever written, besides Xanadu, Hemispheres (everything on it), 2112, and every other Rush song made

AFTK is an awesome album and this is a killer track. I wouldn't say it's their "absolute best song" or even Top Five, but it's damned good.

I set a course just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus;

Flew into the light of Deneb, sailed across the Milky Way

On my ship the Rocinante, wheeling through the galaxies

Headed for the heart of Cygnus, headlong into mystery...

Love how he belts out the "Deneb" line.

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Nov 18 2008, 06:47 PM)
One of the wildest, dynamic epics , ever, by any band, let alone Rush. A favorite from the '70's. No one writes stuff like this anymore.

amen brother

1022.gif

and I feel like Im the only one who thought *gets interrupted by advertisment* what the f**k was that?

any way I feel like the only one who thinks the way the concluded the story with hemispheres is awesome. i remember listing to it like WTF has this got to do with part 1? Then come the familiar chords and the story concludes. I had a rushgasim first time

^Geeeeek

Archived