vapoUrtrails

Maestro

This album just screams.

I've heard it many, many times, to be sure; but after tonight -after putting a very serious ear on it- I've got to say that I have determined that when this thing finally gets cleaned-up (and it will get cleaned-up) a very great number of Rush fans are in for a very real treat.

Vapor Trails kicks some very serious serious ass. yes.gif

Enough said.

III.

I've always loved it and yearn, like so many Rush fans, to hear a remaster. I can't wait for Retro3 and the remixes of Earthshine and OLV.

QUOTE (Maestro @ Oct 28 2008, 12:52 AM)
This album just screams.

I've heard it many, many times, to be sure; but after tonight -after putting a very serious ear on it- I've got to say that I have determined that when this thing finally gets cleaned-up (and it will get cleaned-up) a very great number of Rush fans are in for a very real treat.

Vapor Trails kicks some very serious serious ass. yes.gif

Enough said.

III.

The music on VP is very good, especially Alex's guitar playing. Unfortunately the mix and countless overlays are very annoying. From a tonal aspect, every song sounds like the last, except for How It Is.

Yet again, another Rush album that has "grown" on me. It's not a masterpiece, it's just a very good album. Yeah, it's "relentless" and I still have a difficult time listening to it all the way through in one sitting, but there are certainly some very high peaks. I'm looking forward to Retrospective III to hear the Vapor Trails remixes.

QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 28 2008, 09:38 AM)
Turds can't be polished.

Really! Just ask your father.

tongue.gif

j/k

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 28 2008, 08:40 AM)
Turds can't be polished.

tongue.gif

j/k

Why would I wish to speak to a jar of ashes?

QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 28 2008, 09:44 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 28 2008, 08:40 AM)
Turds can't be polished.

tongue.gif

j/k

Why would I wish to speak to a jar of ashes?

z7shysterical.gif

(oh...and so sorry. No offense?)

QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 28 2008, 01:38 PM)
Turds can't be polished.

They can if you bury them in a swamp for a couple of million ears till their petrified , then take a grindstone to them and volia! - A lovely paperweight.

By a stunning coincidence, this is exactly the correct treatment for VT...

has anyone ever listened to any old voivod or even stuff by strapping young lad? the production on some of their albums is so *ouch* that even i notice it, and i love vapor trails. so stop whining about production, theres MUCH MUCH worse out there. (i love SYL)

Vapor Trails is one of the most frustrating albums ever because there are some really good songs there in the mush. i don't know if remastering would really help that much either because i think a lot of the problems were in the playing itself, it's like they didn't really have sense of what would really work with most of those songs and so just threw everything they could at the wall to see what would stick. it works on One Little Victory but on the rest of the album not so much.

i'd love to hear this album rerecorded as a sort of school of rock project by a bunch of ambitious kids, that would be really interesting. a different take entirely is what is needed on most of these songs.

This has been addressed ad nauseum.....but count me in with the "worst production in the history of albums" category.

Alex has eluded to this before, and has mentioned that the band has looked into remastering...but Alex does talk a lot wink.gif and he seems to have a lot of thoughts and ideas floating in his head....

So I wonder if it will ever happen.

I really want to hear a "clean version" of Ghost Rider, Earthshine, Peaceable Kingdom, etc...great songs that are damn near unlistenable in my car!

Well I hadn't even considered listening on big car stereos or other large speakers, but when I listen with my headphones/on my laptop speakers it sounds fine. I never even knew there were all these apparent horrid production issues.

So I like the album as it is, but a remaster couldn't hurt I guess. God this makes me want to listen to Ghost Rider now biggrin.gif

Hell, when I say I don't like Vapor Trails that much I never meant the music isn't good. It just sounds like shit! The music is there and SHOULD be cleaned up one day!

QUOTE (Grapes_under_pressure @ Oct 28 2008, 11:12 AM)
has anyone ever listened to any old voivod or even stuff by strapping young lad? the production on some of their albums is so *ouch* that even i notice it, and i love vapor trails. so stop whining about production, theres MUCH MUCH worse out there. (i love SYL)

No, but as a fan of My Bloody Valentine, the "noise" on Vapor Trails doesn't bother me.

I really like Vapor Trails. Lotsa power in the last half of the album (marred only by the misplacement of Sweet Miracle in the running order)

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 28 2008, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (Grapes_under_pressure @ Oct 28 2008, 11:12 AM)

No, but as a fan of My Bloody Valentine, the "noise" on Vapor Trails doesn't bother me.

I really like Vapor Trails. Lotsa power in the last half of the album (marred only by the misplacement of Sweet Miracle in the running order)

I just started the album - and TBH, I can't hear the noise. And I'm listening on speakers, albeit small ones.

Vapor Trails is one of my top 3 Rush albums......it is a complete masterpiece when it comes to lyrics and the songs themselves....

so the production isnt the greatest

the only reason its like that is because they went a bit overboard with the layered guitars and stuff, but it was a cool idea....i like the layered sound.

Archived