Anyone else feel that Rush is artistically spent ?

GeminiRising79

Thanks to all for your replies, both positive and negative. I feel there are a number of factors going on with Rush's current state of evolution. I don't expect them to continue the styles of old, but certainly not the droning material they've released in recent years. Either Rush is experiencing burnout from the whole process of +30 years, and/or just slowing down. In addition, with the terrific success they've accomplished and living fairly wealthy lives, the pressure or fire to produce great music just isn't there anymore(imo)--If it were, we would most definitely feel its presence. Nonetheless, I'm happy to see they're still around, but I truly wish they would do something exceptional and perhaps one day go off to a remote locale, listen to and feel that awesome fire and brilliance they once had, involve themselves in intense interactive brainstorming(& perhaps smoke a few joints?) to create a profound masterpiece before they call it quits or go into semi-retirement. Its a no-lose situation for anyone at this point, relatively speaking. I only and truly wish the best for Rush and want to see them go out with another spectacular(and aureal) moment of greatness.

And btw guys, I'm 46 as well.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 26 2008, 01:53 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Oct 26 2008, 02:25 PM)
For those who say S&A is an "advancement" or a "progression forward"........how so?

because Test for Echo and Vapor Trails were more or less a total load of crap, and feedback was utterly useless, whereas Snakes and Arrows was a decent album, in fact I would go so far as to call it Rush's best since Presto. the mix doesn't make your brain implode, there were no shitty lyrics about the speed of virtual dogs or "all the crap we have to take", and the music itself had a real, refreshing vitality to it.

That's not advancement it's regression.

Even if some of the music is better than things since PoW it certainly isn't an advance on it, and the lyrics are abysmal, I don't necessarily mean in content, but just the fact that they don't fit in a melody line, and Geddy has to either shoehorn them in, or pad it out with "Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhssssssss"

i think there taste in music has changed/evolved but some of there fans taste have not. it sounds like they put as much effort if not more into snakes as they have in previous records from back in the day. i would not say they are burned out or just going through the motions.

QUOTE (himey @ Oct 26 2008, 04:57 PM)
i think there taste in music has changed/evolved but some of there fans taste have not. it sounds like they put as much effort if not more into snakes as they have in previous records from back in the day. i would not say they are burned out or just going through the motions.

I agree. There are so many people that are stuck on the Permanent Waves/Moving pictures era and base all of the other Rush albums and compare them to that style.

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Oct 26 2008, 02:22 AM)
QUOTE (bengal21 @ Oct 25 2008, 10:25 PM)
Ok so heres my 2 cents
I dont want to offend anyone but I must speak my mind. I am 46 yrs old and listen to all types of music. I will always be bias towards the music from my teens and twenties as I believe most people are.  Why...music for me has the ability to take me anywhere I want to go. Its like a photo. I can listen to a song and smell the perfume of my first crush at the school dance.
Bands like Rush and Journey take me back to my days partying with my friends and for brief moments trigger feeling of being young again.
Why do folks always say " Well you know, I think (insert band here)their past their prime" or "time to hang it up already"
Now you may think I'm having a midlife crisis or something and you may be correct, but my point is that I dont care if these guys are playing from wheelchairs in a care home, I will listen and appreciate it. They are a part of our lives as are the actors we watch on TV. I dont care how old Pacino or Hopkins are, I will watch any movie they appear in till one of us kicks the bucket.
Its all about the emotional connection and where and how these artists fit into our lives.
So having said that, I really think once a group has contributed so much and reached the status Rush has over the years, maintaining "peak" performance is absolutely irrelevent.
Thats all there is to it. I want to see the people I admired as a youth continue to do the things I admired them for when I am 60. Isnt that awsome. What else can we expect them to do, sell insurance.
So what if they arent as good. They love to perform and we love to watch and listen.  At their worst, they would still be better than most of the crap artists are getting paid millions of $$$ to spew these days.
I hope I am making my point as it is difficult to put into words exactly what I mean.
ok Im done

cheers

goodpost.gif I'm 46 also, and I feel the same kind of connection to the "old" Rush that you're referring to. The thing I believe needs to be understood is that we all change. It's unrealistic to expect Rush to keep cranking out the same old stuff just because all some want to hear is 2112 and Tom Sawyer! If there's anything I know about Rush, it's that they thrive on change. They love what they do, and they like to keep it interesting for themselves, as well as the fans. If they didn't, they probably would have burned out and called it quits a long time ago, and for some here that would mean never having experienced Rush live at all. Imagine there not being a second generation of Rush fans. Wouldn't that be a shame? I'll take an aging "maybe not as good as they used to be" Rush in the here and now over fading memories of a Rush that hasn't been heard from since the 80's any day. Btw, to answer the original question; No, I don't think Rush is artistically spent.

goodpost.gif Both of you. old.gif laugh.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Being 48 myself, I have enjoyed the ride with 2.gif I don't like every song that they have done but that's with any band. When I first really got in to them, I said to myself that they would go far, and have they ever. Beyond my expectations and many others that have followed them. Especially those that continue to hate them from the beginning. It has to drive them nuts! laugh.gif I have alway's admired them for doing what they want regardless of what others think. They are the musicians and they make the final decisions on what style of music to play and release. They are thick skinned and have defied all odds in the music industry!! 1022.gif And at this point of there career as a band they are just loving every minute of it and are not done yet!!

Rock On 2.gif 653.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Alex @ Oct 26 2008, 05:02 PM)

I agree. There are so many people that are stuck on the Permanent Waves/Moving pictures era and base all of the other Rush albums and compare them to that style.

That's because for many that was their creative peak........therefore it will draw lots of comparisions to what they are doing now. Their music has changed alot........they stuff they've put out in the last 20 years sounds almost nothing like they were putting out in their best period (2112 - MP)......therefore tends to draw some criticism.........make sense?

Heck, they were once considered "prog band". Not much prog about them anymore, if you ask me.........

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Oct 26 2008, 03:34 PM)

That's because for many that was their creative peak........therefore it will draw lots of comparisions to what they are doing now. Their music has changed alot........they stuff they've put out in the last 20 years sounds almost nothing like they were putting out in their best period (2112 - MP)......therefore tends to draw some criticism.........make sense?

Heck, they were once considered "prog band". Not much prog about them anymore, if you ask me.........

If they would have stayed stuck in that era they would have died out long ago! wink.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Oct 26 2008, 06:34 PM)

Well said sir.

The creative Peak of Rush is from CoS to PeW IMHO of course, and that is the material that has to be the Rush benchmark, and nothing recorded since then matches up to it.

And of course Rush aren't Prog now, because they're an HM band, always and 4 eva biggrin.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 26 2008, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Oct 26 2008, 06:34 PM)

Well said sir.

The creative Peak of Rush is from CoS to PeW IMHO of course, and that is the material that has to be the Rush benchmark, and nothing recorded since then matches up to it.

And of course Rush aren't Prog now, because they're an HM band, always and 4 eva biggrin.gif wink.gif

Dude your nuts!! laugh.gif Do you honestly think they would still be around by making albums such as COS?? wacko.gif biggrin.gif

I first heard rush at the ripe old age of 10 In 1982 . My older brother blasted rush , maiden , priest , sabbath - the devils music . And it corrupted me forever . I still think rush have the ability to take you back in time - to that special place, That is rare with most bands today. I dont think they have lost their spark , and Don't really care if they artistically spent , they gave us how many good if not great albums ? And live , never forgot about the old school fans that loved the elderly material. I haven't really listened to too much past power windows, no desire - no need. I have all the rush on vinyl i need to last me a lifetime of good tunes . \\\ 2.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Oct 26 2008, 04:25 PM)
Thanks to all for your replies, both positive and negative.  I feel there are a number of factors going on with Rush's current state of evolution. I don't expect them to continue the styles of old, but certainly not the droning material they've released in recent years.  Either Rush is experiencing burnout from the whole process of +30 years, and/or just slowing down. In addition, with the terrific success they've accomplished and living fairly wealthy lives, the pressure or fire to produce great music just isn't there anymore(imo)--If it were, we would most definitely feel its presence.  Nonetheless, I'm happy to see they're still around, but I truly wish they would do something exceptional and perhaps one day go off to a remote locale, listen to and feel that awesome fire and brilliance they once had, involve themselves in intense interactive brainstorming(& perhaps smoke a few joints?) to create a profound masterpiece before they call it quits or go into semi-retirement. Its a no-lose situation for anyone at this point, relatively speaking.  I only and truly wish the best for Rush and want to see them go out with another  spectacular(and aureal) moment of greatness. 

And btw guys, I'm 46 as well.

Exactly. I can't help but hold out some hope that something will spark a fire of musical genius at least one more time, whatever it

takes cool10.gif cosmo.gif msn_sheep.png . Maybe it is wishful thinking but it's not impossible, after all it's 2.gif .

With some people you just can't win. It's kind of funny to me that recently I've heard several people joke about the new AC/DC album (even AC/DC fans) that it's the same album they've been releasing for the last thirty years but they simply keep putting a different title on it. On the other hand, lots of other major bands whose music has changed from their original sound always have huge chunks of their fan bases wishing they still sounded like they used to. Caress of Steel volumes one through twenty would have indicated to me that Rush was artistically spent. When I was in high school in the 80s I really loved things like Trevor Rabin-era Yes, 80's Genesis, and albums like A Momentary Lapse of Reason by Pink Floyd (in addition to the older stuff) and I had older friends constantly trying to tell me why I shouldn't like those because that's not the way those bands used to sound. They sounded like spurned girlfriends. Obviously, 80's era Rush was part of that too. And Hagar-era Van Halen. All those things were great on their own but people just hate leaving their comfort zone. Evidently, grumpy old man syndrome can affect people even in their 20s.

This obsession over their "prog period identity" is just weird to me. I love that stuff as much as anyone but basically the only albums that fit that category in the pure sense (meaning the ones that inspired the Dream Theaters of the world) are A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves. That's three albums out of eighteen. Four years out of roughly thirty-five. The idea that somehow that's what they are or should be any more than any other period is just misguided. It's a small part of the whole. People who think that their other albums with different styles and influences are somehow a betrayal of what they should have been doing all along just don't understand this band. As Geddy has said, they've always followed more of the tradition of bands like The Who and Cream than anything else.

QUOTE (Netboy @ Oct 27 2008, 08:44 AM)
This thread is kind of silly and a breeding ground for TROLLS.  It is hard to believe that people are criticizing a band that already receives unfair criticism of its music for the main stream.  They are almost sixty and they just released a new kick ass album.  What specifically is filler on S&A?  Bands recycle their sound over and over and over and over.  keep in mind that most famous bands do not even evolve!  they just play the same pop songs that made them famous. Therefore, why is it sacrilegious if RUSH wants to incorporate a particular sound from a past song?  It is important to keep in mind that S&A was intended by the trio to explore a Little of their musical roots.  Aside from a few rare "injections" of chords, there is little in terms of recycling.  And to the original poster who find it dark.  Where have you been living the past ten years?? Go listen to a disney album if you want upbeat. Personally, I want serious music and lyrics from serious musicians.

What keeps RUSH fresh and relevant is musical composition, a love for playing and lyrical writing.  I see this thread degenerating into a "when are they going to retire post."  I'll give you the short answer...when they are dead.

goodpost.gif Yup. Get real. Bored of saying it over and over and over...

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Oct 26 2008, 07:43 PM)
With some people you just can't win. It's kind of funny to me that recently I've heard several people joke about the new AC/DC album (even AC/DC fans) that it's the same album they've been releasing for the last thirty years but they simply keep putting a different title on it.

It's called sticking to their roots and remaiming true to form, and I give them alot of credit for that..........sure lots of their albums sound the same, but the integrity they started their careers with is still very intact. The elements that make them what they are, are always there.......and I'm not the world's biggest AC/DC fan either, although I like lots of their stuff.........

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 27 2008, 03:49 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Oct 25 2008, 07:10 PM)
When Counterparts was released I could begin to feel the first signs of this.  Please don't flame me here, I'm only stating my interpretation of the band's aging/evolutionary process.  I tried listening to Snakes and Arrows again but I simply cannot tolerate it. It all sounds like filler to me -with momentary regurgitations of preceding works mixed in. Nothing believably original or catchy.  Brooding and moody.  Why can't they do something uplifting and positive, beaming with energy/enthusiasm?  I certainly love Rush, but I hate to see them fade out like they are (In my opinion).  Again, I'm not trying to stir things up, I only want to see what others think about my interpretation.

hey look everyone, it's Prince Troll!

i don't agree with some of that post and i don't have to. but i don't see anything trollish about it at all

It's called sticking to their roots and remaiming true to form, and I give them alot of credit for that..........sure lots of their albums sound the same, but the integrity they started their careers with is still very intact. The elements that make them what they are, are always there.......and I'm not the world's biggest AC/DC fan either, although I like lots of their stuff.........

Me too, I really like a lot of their music. They're very good at what they do and I never get tired of Angus Young's playing. My point is that whether a band stays the same or changes part of the fanbase will see it as a problem.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Oct 26 2008, 07:52 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Oct 26 2008, 07:43 PM)
With some people you just can't win. It's kind of funny to me that recently I've heard several people joke about the new AC/DC album (even AC/DC fans) that it's the same album they've been releasing for the last thirty years but they simply keep putting a different title on it.

Not to get too far off track, but I've been enjoying the new AC/DC album for just that reason.. It's AC/DC and it sounds like AC/DC..no surprises, but, they are a much different band than Rush. Our boys have made it their trademark (imho) to constantly evolve with each album, keeping it fresh for them and for us.

They don't appear to be afraid of trying something new, like it or hate it. One poster indicated that in doing this they can continue to enjoy playing and performing live. I think we know that if they aren't enjoying themselves they simply will stop playing and nobody wants that.

As for S&A - I happen to like brooding and gloomy, I love the album!

edit for spelling

I have been listening to Rush since the early 80s and personally, I think that Snakes and Arrows is one of their best albums-definite top 5 for me and thir best album since PeW and maybe MP. Its been, what, 18 months since SnA came out and I am still listening to it like crazy. I really felt like Rush had kind of lost it creatively when Presto came out, started to get it back a bit with T4E and VT and is really back on top with SnA. I am not suggesting that any individual song on SnA is quite the works of art that 2112 (the song, not the album), Jacobs Ladder or Red Barchetta, for example, are, but taking the album as a whole work, It feels so cohesive and just freakin awesome that I have to rank it up in their top tier of albums. Before SnA I never thought that I would be able to say that about any new Rush album.

Definatly the fact that todays CDs offer more space to fit more music and longer albums hasn't worked to Rush's benefit as of late. Both Vapor Trails and S&As were at least two songs too long. I don't know why, but Rush isn't really good at editing their own material and ditching the weaker songs.

There's actually very few Rush albums that I like start to finish. Fly By Night and Presto come the closest for me, but the rest I end up skipping around. I'll listen to two songs, skip one, listen to the next, skip the next two, listen to one, etc etc.

As for everything starting with RTB: I really liked the tone and positive attitude of RTB and the groove of the songs, but the weaker songs that made up the second half of the album and the overall soft production did it no favors. It's good, but not one that I listen to often.

Counterparts had a GREAT ballsey sound and mix. Heads and shoulders above the previous albums and another great instrumental. My only gripe was many of the lyrics were pretty lame ("Alien Shore" has that line "you and me, we'd elect each other president" that makes me cringe) and the fact that the song 'Speed Of Love' exists at all 062802puke_prv.gif . But overall, pretty good.

Test For Echo is the beginning of the major problems I have with them now....the start of the shoehorned words, the lack of good melodys, Alex's layers of distortion which sound like mud, Geddy taking the last word of a line and stretching it out like a wad of gum to fill out the measure, Geddy playing too many notes too fast and I can't make out the bass parts easily anymore. And let's not forget how well 'Virtuality' aged. Wow, those darn kids and their 'internet' and 'E-mail'!

Vapor Trails had a sad meloncoly feel to it that I really like, but damn that shitty production just makes it literally unlistenable. I CAN'T sit past two songs without getting a headache. And this was the continuation of the lack of melodys, more shoehorned lyrics, and two or three songs too long. And more Alex mud. And more unimaginative Geddy bass playing, assuming you can pick it out of the wall of sound.

Which brings me to my least favorite Rush album ever, Snakes and Arrows. Even more half-assed negative lyrics, shoehorned phrasing, and Geddy's increased habit of warbleing instead of singing. Too many songs, too little to remember, and a handful of tunes that sound totally out of place with the rest of it ('Far Cry', 'Malignant Narcissism' and 'Hope')

It's like they just crapped out a bunch of songs real quick and threw them all on without caring if they were any good. fing.gif

So yes....unfortunatly at this point, I don't think that Rush is capable of getting out of their bad habits and making a solid album that's not too long, has one great well-composed song after another, doesn't bore you or blast your head off with over-compression, and stands the test of time. I'll always love the band, but I find past 1989 I'm skipping over more songs than I'm listening to every album

confused13.gif

QUOTE (toddnbeth @ Oct 27 2008, 04:13 PM)
It feels so cohesive and just freakin awesome that I have to rank it up in their top tier of albums.

Wow, not many can say that. 2.gif

Can't say its that good for me, but I havent given up hope for another 5 star with Rush either, and never will damn it 1287.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 26 2008, 10:22 PM)
It feels so cohesive and just freakin awesome that I have to rank it up in their top tier of albums.

Can't say its that good for me, but I havent given up hope for another 5 star with Rush either, and never will damn it 1287.gif

I just don't get that either...........I understand how some people like it, but how on earth can anyone say it's Rush's best album.......? or even one of their best..........everyone has opinions, but their back catalog is so strong........how can this be at the top?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Oct 26 2008, 11:21 PM)

I just don't get that either...........I understand how some people like it, but how on earth can anyone say it's Rush's best album.......? or even one of their best..........everyone has opinions, but their back catalog is so strong........how can this be at the top?

personal taste, my friend, personal taste.

QUOTE (Anthemic @ Oct 26 2008, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Oct 26 2008, 11:21 PM)

personal taste, my friend, personal taste.

Let me clarify what I was saying about SnA being cohesive (perhaps I was misusing the word). I feel that the album as a whole flows together very well, both lyrically and stylistically. Taking this in to consideration, along with the fact that I personally really like the music, I would rate it toward the top of Rush albums.

I, like many here, consider the albums from 2112 through PeW and perhaps MP to be the high point in the Rush catalog, and dont expect that Rush can ever top this era. After these 4 or 5 albums, though, I place SnA next on my list, for the reasons mentioned above. (So I suppose I have to consider it a top 6 album, rather than a top 5).

In my opinion, the song 2112 is Rush's ultimate masterpiece, never to be equalled. Taking the 2112 album as a whole, though, I dont think that it flows nearly as well as SnA. Side B of the album, although it contains a couple of good songs-APTB and SFN, also contains a couple of my least favorite Rush songs-notably The Twilight Zone (no disrespect intended if anyone really likes this song-its just not to my tastes). Also, side B does not in my opinion flow well at all. Each song is very different both musically and thematically (not that there is anything wrong with that-I just personally prefer that the songs on an album actually sound like they BELONG on that particular album.) This is what I am hearing when I listen to Snakes and Arrows.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Oct 27 2008, 05:21 PM)

Thats great, its good to have someone like it so much for a change around here. Wish I could lift it out of the middle tier. Perhaps I will in a few years, like what happened to VT, who knows confused13.gif

Archived