Anyone else feel that Rush is artistically spent ?

GeminiRising79

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Dec 3 2008, 11:54 PM)
I love the people who whine about this thread. If you don't like it don't read the posts and DON'T post! its that simple. same goes with Rush. I don't like post GUP Rush. and some of the songs on the last four albums I can tolerate. and guess what?! If i don't like a Rush album i DON'T listen to it. its that easy. Sure im disappointed that they aren't making music that I like, but at the end of the day Rush is going to make music that they want to make. I don't expect them to make an album just to please the fans. They are going to play what they like and that's that. I don't expect anymore then that.

Dude, I'm not whining! I just don't hear anything on Snakes & Arrows that leads me to believe it's a bad album. And it's just an observation that some Rush fans seem to go out of their way to say it sucks. fists crying.gif

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I became a rush fan shortly after 2112 was released and loved everything all the way up to the GUP album which IMO was their last good album everything afterward just sounded the same, nothing stood out for me, in fact i didn't even buy HYF, Counterparts, RTB. I stopped going to their concerts because i felt they lost their edge and it just wasn't worth it to go and see a few old great songs mixed in with all the new stuff i didn't care for, THAT WAS UNTIL S&A. S&A woke me up and it was the first concert i was compelled to go to in many years -

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Dec 4 2008, 10:04 AM)
I became a rush fan shortly after 2112 was released and loved everything all the way up to the GUP album which IMO was their last good album everything afterward just sounded the same, nothing stood out for me, in fact i didn't even buy HYF, Counterparts, RTB. I stopped going to their concerts because i felt they lost their edge and it just wasn't worth it to go and see a few old great songs mixed in with all the new stuff i didn't care for, THAT WAS UNTIL S&A.  S&A woke me up and it was the first concert i was compelled to go to in many years -

Wow, I had a similar experience except that I started listening from ATWAS. After Power Windows, that was it for me and I dropped off from listening to Rush anymore, even moreso since I was intensely involved in grad school for many years thereafter.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Dec 4 2008, 01:35 AM)
QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Dec 3 2008, 02:27 PM)
062802puke_prv.gif 

Close this disgusting thread! It sucks! Rush is the last band in the world I would call artistically spent! Put Snakes & Arrows in your CD player and appreciate its awesomeness you dumbasses! 

2.gif  AlexFinal.gif  NeilFinal.gif  GeddyFinal.gif  1022.gif

Shit, son. You are blinded

Right back at ya, "son"

QUOTE (The_Juke @ Dec 4 2008, 12:54 AM)
Each release gets better....

you really think so?

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Dec 5 2008, 07:12 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Dec 4 2008, 01:35 AM)
QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Dec 3 2008, 02:27 PM)
062802puke_prv.gif 

Close this disgusting thread! It sucks! Rush is the last band in the world I would call artistically spent! Put Snakes & Arrows in your CD player and appreciate its awesomeness you dumbasses! 

2.gif  AlexFinal.gif  NeilFinal.gif  GeddyFinal.gif  1022.gif

Shit, son. You are blinded

Right back at ya, "son"

laugh.gif Love it.

I've never felt that Rush has been artistically spent. Each album, while drastically different, has it's own appeal. Snakes & Arrows is their best album since Grace Under Pressure, IMO.

I'm trying to think of another artist that has been active since the early mid 70s, has produced so many albums, of such quality (yes there have been ups and downs), has been so technically proficient, has also conducted themselves with such integrity, has avoided all the usual rock n' roll madness, has managed to reproduce the sound live with no assistance in terms of extra musicians, has continued to produce new material and commit to it as a major part of the live show rather than just re-hashing old songs, has gained such respect from peers, has sold so many albums consistently, has not re-cycled the same old formula, has changed styles with reasonable success (yes we won't all agree with that) and finally, STILL seem to be capable of going on a while longer yet......

....while not being artistically spent.

Is there anyone who comes close to all that?

I rest my case.

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Dec 5 2008, 07:07 AM)
I'm trying to think of another artist that has been active since the early mid 70s, has produced so many albums, of such quality (yes there have been ups and downs), has been so technically proficient, has also conducted themselves with such integrity, has avoided all the usual rock n' roll madness, has managed to reproduce the sound live with no assistance in terms of extra musicians, has continued to produce new material and commit to it as a major part of the live show rather than just re-hashing old songs, has gained such respect from peers, has sold so many albums consistently, has not re-cycled the same old formula, has changed styles with reasonable success (yes we won't all agree with that) and finally, STILL seem to be capable of going on a while longer yet......

I rest my case.

goodpost.gif

Actually, excellent posting.

Sure, they're getting old. People do that.

But they've attempted - often successfully - to stay current and think ahead musically. But they have done it all with excellence in mind.

Snakes and Arrows was by no stretch garbage music. They continue to challenge themselves and I believe they will do no less on their next recording project. It does certainly help that they've got a keen, modern producer who understands their catalog and wants to help them push the envelope and keep the new work fresh. It's clear they want someone around like that too.

Hmmm, maybe their next album will be a concept / techno combo with three 20-minute long epics. rofl3.gif

You never know with these guys. Who would've imagined back in the Caress of Steel days they'd put out something like Power Windows 10 years later?

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Dec 5 2008, 08:07 AM)

I rest my case.

I can't. confused13.gif

I wonder though, if Rush's fan base hadn't been so loyal through the ups and downs, would it have forced Rush to return to the 70's, MP sounds to regain the fans???

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Dec 5 2008, 08:55 AM)
Hmmm, maybe their next album will be a concept / techno combo with three 20-minute long epics. rofl3.gif

You never know with these guys. Who would've imagined back in the Caress of Steel days they'd put out something like Power Windows 10 years later?

That's the great thing, we don't know what to expect sometimes.

All I ask is no more lyrics on faith and religion. I think Neil got it out of his system, but I want a few tunes with less preaching.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 5 2008, 11:26 AM)

I rest my case.

I can't. confused13.gif

I wonder though, if Rush's fan base hadn't been so loyal through the ups and downs, would it have forced Rush to return to the 70's, MP sounds to regain the fans???

Has Rush ever done anything in an effort to get more fans? They've done everything on their own terms...and they're a better band for it.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Dec 6 2008, 06:26 AM)

I rest my case.

I can't. confused13.gif

Are you kidding? Never no.gif

I rest my case.

Bob Dylan

Neil Young

Wire

I rest my case.

Excellent point! Comparing Rush to my other favorite surviving prog bands:

1. Genesis recenty toured without releasing any new material. Some nice choices in the setlist, though, epecially In the Cage/Cinema Show/Duke's Travels/Afterglow.

2. Yes is touring without new material AND with replacements angry.gif for Anderson and Wakeman (hopefully temporary).

3. Marillion is still putting out some great music (IMO) but hasn't toured the US in years (decades?).

4. Spock's Beard hasn't been the same since Neal Morse left, IMO.

So yeah, I think Rush is still going much stronger than we could reasonably have hoped for, especially after Neil's near-retirement.

Archived