Neil Now, Neil Then...

djb

Ok, I'm all over this 1978 Different Stages concert take, the sound is sooo good!

but the drums, man Neil gives it in that concert. The vibrance of youth! Now he can still kill it, but not like that, not with such bravado, now he plays the songs but then, he did that and much more.

Wow.

I think he stood out more then than he does now, so many killer players but then, who was like that?

Listening to DS3, I'd say NEP was waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy sloppier than he is now, but f**k I say f**k, was it ever exciting. He thinks too much these days. Always dangerous is thought. Don't think, DO!

QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 14 2008, 05:35 PM)
Listening to DS3, I'd say NEP was waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy sloppier than he is now, but f**k I say f**k, was it ever exciting. He thinks too much these days. Always dangerous is thought. Don't think, DO!

Dude your still pissed WHAM broke up,aren't you.

Kinda like comparing different types of apples if you ask me.

NP circa 1978 was exciting for sure, and I love the attack of those days. But I actually enjoy his playing more now .. IMO it has gained something that only time, exploration and maturity can bring.

They both have their merits.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Oct 15 2008, 11:40 AM)

NP circa 1978 was exciting for sure, and I love the attack of those days.  But I actually enjoy his playing more now .. IMO it has gained something that only time, exploration and maturity can bring. 

goodpost.gif Its all good. He has many sides to appreciate. End of.

IMO, Neil keeps getting better and better. Some of his best drumming is on Snakes & Arrows. He has gained more fluidity, and when they play the old songs live, I even think that Neil has gained power!

i'm trying not to sound too much like king troll here, so bear with me.....

neil is starting to slow down now. the stamina that he had in the '70s just isn't there. but it's amazing that he's still able to do what he does now, given his age, and his losses in 1997. we're lucky to have him in the band at all. and he's still capable of a lot more than many younger drummers, even if he doesn't have the speed "chops" anymore.

the only gripe i have is that he and his drum tech really ought to sit down and discuss what they're going to do about heads/tuning, cause the stock DW heads sound like crap.

i thought this was a thread about him being fatter and more bald laugh.gif

joke of course

Hey, it happens to everybody. You're only 20-25 once. It's still exciting to remember (or hear about) the barely contained recklesness of that age. A little more on the power and a little less on the finesse. I remember some of things I've done and thought "Damn!" You're running on a different kind of fuel then. They won't pen another epic like Cygnus X-1,... but they don't need to.

A analogy of sorts... Neil at 25=a bottle of 100 proof Southern Comfort. Neil now= a finely aging bottle of Scotch (like the Macallan). Still has the firepower, just smoother.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Oct 14 2008, 05:40 PM)

NP circa 1978 was exciting for sure, and I love the attack of those days. But I actually enjoy his playing more now .. IMO it has gained something that only time, exploration and maturity can bring.

goodpost.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Oct 15 2008, 12:50 PM)
Hey, it happens to everybody. You're only 20-25 once. It's still exciting to remember (or hear about) the barely contained recklesness of that age. A little more on the power and a little less on the finesse. I remember some of things I've done and thought "Damn!" You're running on a different kind of fuel then. They won't pen another epic like Cygnus X-1,... but they don't need to.

A analogy of sorts... Neil at 25=a bottle of 100 proof Southern Comfort. Neil now= a finely aging bottle of Scotch (like the Macallan). Still has the firepower, just smoother.

I really like the thought and style in your post. goodpost.gif trink39.gif

neil is trying to show us that rock drumming does not neccesarily have to be all crash,bang wallop which of course we all love to hear but its kinda cool that he has different approaches.

many drummers sight peart as a major influence on there playing and im sure this influence comes from his many styles

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Oct 14 2008, 08:50 PM)
Hey, it happens to everybody. You're only 20-25 A analogy of sorts... Neil at 25=a bottle of 100 proof Southern Comfort. Neil now= a finely aging bottle of Scotch (like the Macallan). Still has the firepower, just smoother.

Not a very good analogy. Bottles of Scotch don't age. The Macallan isn't that good a single malt either. If Neil had any class he'd be drinking Highland Park smile.gif

QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 15 2008, 01:10 PM)
Hey, it happens to everybody.  You're only 20-25 A analogy of sorts...  Neil at 25=a bottle of 100 proof Southern Comfort.  Neil now= a finely aging bottle of Scotch (like the Macallan).  Still has the firepower, just smoother.

Not a very good analogy. Bottles of Scotch don't age. The Macallan isn't that good a single malt either. If Neil had any class he'd be drinking Highland Park smile.gif

Agreed, Macallan is syrupy muck yes.gif

Personally he should try The Talisker or Laphroiag

QUOTE (Fridge @ Oct 15 2008, 07:26 AM)
Hey, it happens to everybody.  You're only 20-25 A analogy of sorts...  Neil at 25=a bottle of 100 proof Southern Comfort.  Neil now= a finely aging bottle of Scotch (like the Macallan).  Still has the firepower, just smoother.

Aye, Talisker would do. Like Rush Highland Park's not as good as it used to be (the 12yo anyway) wink.gif

QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 14 2008, 05:35 PM)
Listening to DS3, I'd say NEP was waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy sloppier than he is now, but f**k I say f**k, was it ever exciting. He thinks too much these days.

yes.gif and he needs to drop the f-n samples . enough already. drums, just drums 1022.gif

Oh yuck Talisker is like sucking on a peat briquette.

Macallan 12 or Glenmorangie madiera

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Oct 14 2008, 05:44 PM)
Back then he was fast and such, but I challenge you to find a drummer with more emotion in their playing than Neil today.

More emotion? Terry Bozzio.....Thomas Pridgeon....Ari Hoenig.....when he was alive...Tony Williams....

I like Neil for alot of things but the wild and emotional type player is not what I consider his strength.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Oct 15 2008, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Oct 14 2008, 05:44 PM)
Back then he was fast and such, but I challenge you to find a drummer with more emotion in their playing than Neil today.

More emotion? Terry Bozzio.....Thomas Pridgeon....Ari Hoenig.....when he was alive...Tony Williams....

I like Neil for alot of things but the wild and emotional type player is not what I consider his strength.

He's still pretty damn fast. I was watching the solo on R30 last night, and his cross-sticking work - the wood is flying.

QUOTE (Broncos730 @ Oct 15 2008, 10:08 AM)

Oh yuck Talisker is like sucking on a peat briquette.

Macallan 12 or Glenmorangie madiera

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb305/EveryNerveAware/RUSH/620018x.jpg

Different music calls for different drumming. His playing has "matured" along with the rest of the band. Serving the song...

Personally, I like the earlier stuff more, but I appreciate it ALL.

OP here...

I agree both the young and the aged have their merits. I just thought the Tom Sawyer solo was NP the young and played now by NP the old, I thought he was more or less the same, in terms of attack. (I know the style has changed somewhat...)

but to hear the vigor of youth, I was just kinda I dunno, impressed or suprised to hear the difference....given that he is so much a note-for-note kinda record-reproducing player, I thought he would sound the same over the years, but does not...

Archived