Neil Now, Neil Then...

djb

There are many great things about Neil's drumming now, but I'm afraid to say that emotional playing is not really one of them at present. Not surprising when he's counting down the days, hours & minutes to when the tour will be over.

That Hammersmith '78 recording is stunning. There are moments when Neil might be sloppy, but there are also moments where I think he's being - shock, horror - almost playful. Listen to how he messes around with tempos (By-Tor has some obvious examples of this). Even better, the other two are able to home in on what he's doing and lock in. It's a great recording of a band full of the vigour of youth and the stimulation of relatively new shores to conquer - you can sense the adventure in their playing. Geddy's cold? I don't even notice it.

QUOTE (Broncos730 @ Oct 23 2008, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 15 2008, 09:40 AM)
QUOTE (Broncos730 @ Oct 15 2008, 09:08 AM)
Oh yuck Talisker is like sucking on a peat briquette.

I hear Bob Geldof used to do that tongue.gif

wtf.gif

Your humour escapes me.

Its not his humour thats escaped,it's his brain.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Oct 23 2008, 08:28 PM)
I think he is much better now than he was then. He didn't have as much control as he does now. confused13.gif
However, I do like his raw, wild style on that 1978 recording.

rofl3.gif nice avatar rofl3.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 15 2008, 07:40 AM)
QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 14 2008, 05:35 PM)
Listening to DS3, I'd say NEP was waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy sloppier than he is now, but f**k I say f**k, was it ever exciting. He thinks too much these days.

yes.gif and he needs to drop the f-n samples . enough already. drums, just drums 1022.gif

Here ya go;

QUOTE (Rush Man @ Oct 23 2008, 12:45 PM)

wtf.gif

Your humour escapes me.

At least it used to be in my head.

You shat yours out your arse smile.gif

And to Mr lack of humour, Bob Geldof was in a band called the Boomtown Rats who had another member called Pete Briquette, whom Mr Geldof used to give BJs - allegedly.

QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 23 2008, 03:57 PM)

wtf.gif

Your humour escapes me.

And to Mr lack of humour, Bob Geldof was in a band called the Boomtown Rats who had another member called Pete Briquette, whom Mr Geldof used to give BJs - allegedly.

Talk about obscure references! Thanks KT, that's one mental image I didn't need. wacko.gif

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Oct 23 2008, 09:31 PM)

wtf.gif

Your humour escapes me.

Talk about obscure references! Thanks KT, that's one mental image I didn't need. wacko.gif

And talk about a thread drifting far from the original topic! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Oct 23 2008, 09:33 PM)
QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Oct 23 2008, 09:31 PM)

wtf.gif

Your humour escapes me.

And talk about a thread drifting far from the original topic! laugh.gif

No shit, how does that keep happening??? rofl3.gif

wtf.gif

Your humour escapes me.

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 23 2008, 09:57 PM)

wtf.gif

Your humour escapes me.

That was a fanfiction, not a news article wink.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Oct 24 2008, 01:04 PM)

wtf.gif

Your humour escapes me.

z7shysterical.gif

From Neil now vs. Neil then to Geldof supposedly giving hummers to bandmates rofl3.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 15 2008, 07:40 AM)
QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 14 2008, 05:35 PM)
Listening to DS3, I'd say NEP was waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy sloppier than he is now, but f**k I say f**k, was it ever exciting. He thinks too much these days.

yes.gif and he needs to drop the f-n samples . enough already. drums, just drums 1022.gif

Oh no way, load up on 'em enough so they can play 2 or 3 songs from Power Windows next tour!

QUOTE (djb @ Oct 14 2008, 05:32 PM)
Ok, I'm all over this 1978 Different Stages concert take, the sound is sooo good!

but the drums, man Neil gives it in that concert. The vibrance of youth! Now he can still kill it, but not like that, not with such bravado, now he plays the songs but then, he did that and much more.

Wow.

I think he stood out more then than he does now, so many killer players but then, who was like that?

I agree in a way. but it depends on how you look at it. He definitely became a tighter and more seasoned drummer in the years that followed, but you're right about the energy part. He was stronger and younger then. But just as many people think he got better as he matured. Personally I love the sound of young fire in a musician trying to make it.

You get this same argument a lot with Geddy's voice pre/post Permanent Waves. Personally I just think he was so much better of a singer when he was able to sing high with power. It still blows me away when I listen to it. Not many singers could do that like him. Although he was plenty good when he lowered his voice, a lot of people can sing like that though so it never seemed as special to me as when he was younger.

As they all calmed down a bit and focused more on song writing rather than trying to show everyone what they could do, I feel like they got a lot closer to what many other bands were doing where when they were younger I dont personally feel like anyone could touch them. But they're still great either way.

QUOTE (trenken @ Oct 24 2008, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (djb @ Oct 14 2008, 05:32 PM)
Ok, I'm all over this 1978 Different Stages concert take, the sound is sooo good!

but the drums, man Neil gives it in that concert.  The vibrance of youth!  Now he can still kill it, but not like that, not with such bravado, now he plays the songs but then, he did that and much more.

Wow.

I think he stood out more then than he does now, so many killer players but then, who was like that?

I agree in a way. but it depends on how you look at it. He definitely became a tighter and more seasoned drummer in the years that followed, but you're right about the energy part. He was stronger and younger then. But just as many people think he got better as he matured. Personally I love the sound of young fire in a musician trying to make it.

You get this same argument a lot with Geddy's voice pre/post Permanent Waves. Personally I just think he was so much better of a singer when he was able to sing high with power. It still blows me away when I listen to it. Not many singers could do that like him. Although he was plenty good when he lowered his voice, a lot of people can sing like that though so it never seemed as special to me as when he was younger.

As they all calmed down a bit and focused more on song writing rather than trying to show everyone what they could do, I feel like they got a lot closer to what many other bands were doing where when they were younger I dont personally feel like anyone could touch them. But they're still great either way.

Freewill was the last studio song that Geddy ever "screeched" on. Despite what the critics write about every album that came after: "blah blah Geddys screeching vocals blah blah"

I remember reading reviews of HYF and RTB that both mention Rush's "Sci-Fi" themes and Geddy's "screeching voice" and I was left wondering if they even bothered to listen to the album. Especially on those two albums, Geddy came no where NEAR "screeching" angry.gif

confused13.gif

Archived