The Shining

Saint NIck

Anybody like this one?

I remember when I would see the trailer-preview on late night tv back a whole bunch of years ago; I would see this guy running through the snow with an axe and hear the voice over, "...Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece of modern horror...".

And it was, still is and always will be a classic.

Jack Nicholson is top notch and Shelley Duvall played her role perfectly.

There's only one part that I skip over; just over the 2 hour mark...you may know the scene.

My first DVD and, next to Snakes & Arrows, probably amongst my first Blu-Ray.

I posted music from the soundtrack in the "Halloween Decorations" thread created by The Owl. The music seems like John Carpenter's style of music.

But yeah, it is one of the greatest horror films.

1980 had a lot of good horror movies.

QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ Oct 8 2008, 02:28 PM)
I'm ashamed to say that I've never seen Kubrick's version.

I've never seen the whole thing in it's entirety. It's strange to me that I've never gotten into it. Don't know why.

QUOTE (Saint NIck @ Oct 9 2008, 05:57 AM)
Anybody like this one?
I remember when I would see the trailer-preview on late night tv back a whole bunch of years ago; I would see this guy running through the snow with an axe and hear the voice over, "...Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece of modern horror...".
There's only one part that I skip over; just over the 2 hour mark...you may know the scene.

Yup, never tire of it. Absolute classic. DVD has been on the backburner for a while. Thanks for reminding me trink39.gif

QUOTE (Saint NIck @ Oct 8 2008, 12:57 PM)
Anybody like this one?

For some reason, Kubrick's use of the follow camera behind Danny on the big wheel has always stuck with me. Really creepy in intself.

I'm not a big horror fan, and I think there are precious few horror movies that stand up as really high quality movies outside of the genre with interesting and intelligent stories outside of just purely trying to scare you. The Shining is definitely the best one I've ever seen, and it's one of my favorite all-time movies.

I don't care how many times I see this movie, every time Danny is on his big wheel going around corners in the long hallways, it freaks me out. Come and play with us, Danny - forever, and ever, and ever! scared.gif

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Oct 10 2008, 02:30 PM)
See avatar

see sig

QUOTE (*Presto* @ Oct 9 2008, 09:55 AM)
I loved the book. It scared the crap out of me in some spots. ohmy.gif

So did I!!

In fact I had to read it for a class project in my high school Art class, in which I had to recreate the book cover that came out real good...I still have it somewhere...

Damn, I need to get my hands an another copy of that book...

ok....heres the shining from the perspective of the dark tower....

the woman in the bathroom is rhea of the coos

danny is totally possessed susannah-mio style......and then goes todash to get help from the janitor who is also gifted with the touch and therefore leaves his creepy demon possessor in control. the janitor and danny are ka-tet.

when the creepy old caretaker is giving a job to the bear....which is actually supposed to be a dog, i consider it to be a cameo from shardik.

uhhhh....yeah...im crazy.........

The Kubrick/Nicholson version is absolute gold.

But the other version, starring Rebecca DeMornay and Stephen Webber is poor. Which is surprising since Stephen King was behind the whole thing, wrote the screenplay, more in line with his vision, and even performed a brief cameo.

I love King's novel though, that too is 24 carat GOLD.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 14 2008, 09:26 PM)
But the other version, starring Rebecca DeMornay and Stephen Webber is poor. Which is surprising since Stephen King was behind the whole thing, wrote the screenplay, more in line with his vision, and even performed a brief cameo.

There's another version??? Who knew??? ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 14 2008, 06:45 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 14 2008, 09:26 PM)

There's another version??? Who knew??? ohmy.gif

It was an ABC mini-series, and it had it's moments of being pretty good at times, but it never actually got scary.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 14 2008, 04:26 AM)
The Kubrick/Nicholson version is absolute gold.

I love King's novel though, that too is 24 carat GOLD.

Wow, I must be the only one who liked this, as IMO, it was truer to the book...

Don't get me wrong, Kubrick's version is the shite, and I'm sure I'll be watching it sometime soon, just in time for Halloween! biggrin.gif

Still, I'd love to read the book again...

I recently read from another author that books rarely translate well to the screen, verbatim.

They are two different mediums entirely and must be treated somewhat differently with changes that work better for film.