The Shining

Saint NIck

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Oct 14 2008, 07:17 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 14 2008, 04:26 AM)
The Kubrick/Nicholson version is absolute gold.

But the other version, starring Rebecca DeMornay and Stephen Webber is poor. Which is surprising since Stephen King was behind the whole thing, wrote the screenplay, more in line with his vision, and even performed a brief cameo.

I love King's novel though, that too is 24 carat GOLD.

Wow, I must be the only one who liked this, as IMO, it was truer to the book...

I'm with you, but I didn't want to voice my contrary opinion during the Kubrickian lovefest.

DeMornay is a much better Wendy (who was supposed to be a hot blonde, not a homely brunette) and I'd even say Weber was a better Jack Torrance than Nicholson, who didn't "go crazy" during the story... he started out crazy to begin with!

Other areas where the miniseries was truer to the book than the Kubrick film: topiary animals instead of a hedge maze, and a croquet mallet instead of an axe.

The mini-series is awful.

Kubrick used a maze because he felt the special effects technology, at the time, was not adequate to do the ending justice.

Kubrick made a Kubrick movie, not a straight adaptation of the book.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 14 2008, 09:58 AM)
The mini-series is awful.

Kubrick used a maze because he felt the special effects technology, at the time, was not adequate to do the ending justice.

Kubrick made a Kubrick movie, not a straight adaptation of the book.

I agree. Brian DePalma's Carrie was treated the same way. In the book, it's a constant back and forth from events leading up to the prom, and Sue Snell retelling what happened that night. It was written as a conspiracy theory type of thing regarding telekinesis.

I have a documentary on the making of "Carrie", and the screen writer felt that the movie would not have succeeded if translated directly from the novel.

According the interview, it was said that Stephen King really liked Brian DePalma's shock ending versus what happened in the book at the end.