Rush mentioned in new Entertainment Weekly

Enemy Within 77

I opened up the new EW magazine and almost had a heart attack! On the page with the letters people have written in, there's a tiny article on the bottom that mentions the R&R hall Of Fame. They mention four people/bands that continue to be overlooked and Rush is one of them! There's a small photo that looks like it's from Kings era with Alex and Geddy both playing double necks. It just mentions the fact that Rush have been together over 30 years and "continue to make great music on their own terms." I nearly shit myself with joy when I saw this! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Oct 3 2008, 12:04 PM)
I opened up the new EW magazine and almost had a heart attack! On the page with the letters people have written in, there's a tiny article on the bottom that mentions the R&R hall Of Fame. They mention four people/bands that continue to be overlooked and Rush is one of them! There's a small photo that looks like it's from Kings era with Alex and Geddy both playing double necks. It just mentions the fact that Rush have been together over 30 years and "continue to make great music on their own terms." I nearly shit myself with joy when I saw this! 1022.gif

That... is... fantastic!!

And I truly enjoyed your post, especially this part: I nearly shit myself with joy.... Thanks for the new phrase! I am going to find a point in my daily routine where I can say that. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 3 2008, 02:21 PM)

And I truly enjoyed your post, especially this part: I nearly shit myself with joy.... Thanks for the new phrase! I am going to find a point in my daily routine where I can say that. laugh.gif

Yes-I'm stealing that one too! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Oct 3 2008, 04:04 PM)

trink39.gif

They'll get it! It's adorable. 653.gif 1022.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Oct 3 2008, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 3 2008, 02:21 PM)

Yes-I'm stealing that one too! laugh.gif

I'm actually a fan of the phrase "rampaging jackassery" to describe what goes on around my job.

And, for the record, I'm in the Air Force, so now you know where your tax dollars go! wink.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 4 2008, 07:21 AM)

laugh.gif

I just saw the magazine here at work (Paul Newman on Cover).

Good Eye! yes.gif It is smashedintherighthandcornerofthepage

This late in the working day I would've missed it...

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Oct 3 2008, 02:49 PM)
I think it will eventually happen.

i think next year

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Oct 7 2008, 11:17 AM)

I hope not.

I hope not too. The RnR Hall Of Fame is a joke. Seeing Patti Smith singing People Have The Power at the induction ceremonies a few years ago was one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. Rock 'n' roll ain't what it used to be, kids.

if indeed it DOES happen, we will ALL shit ourselves with JOY. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Anthemic @ Oct 8 2008, 03:52 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Oct 7 2008, 11:17 AM)

I hope not.

I hope not too. The RnR Hall Of Fame is a joke. Seeing Patti Smith singing People Have The Power at the induction ceremonies a few years ago was one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. Rock 'n' roll ain't what it used to be, kids.

goodpost.gif

After neglecting our heroes for so long and inducting all these non rockers I'd see it as an insult to Rush.. They are in the Progressive Rock Hall of Fame and that's way much finer for me...

If they ever get inducted I hope the guys say no thanks.

http://www.progressiverockhalloffame.com/

(Not unusual to shit yourself after almost having a heart attack... But with JOY????? wtf.gif )

The R&R Hall Of fame is a joke. Half of the bands/people in it aren't even rock & roll! Michael Jackson, Madonna, that's not rock. I believe if Rush was ever inducted they would decline. They have too much class and are too good for the hall of fame. They don't care about those things anyways. Rush has been doing fine all these years without support from the industry. If it did happen though, I would definitely shit myself! 1022.gif

Why is it that the R&RHoF issue always comes down to two arguments? One side views it as a travesty Rush is not part of it while the other states that either Rush is too good for the HoF or that it's a joke. Who cares if it's a joke? It is a represenation of who are supposed to be the best ever in the rock music world. When someone can say 'Hall of Fame' next to your name, that invokes a sense of achievement and a place in the ranks of the best of the best that everyone can respect. I know that I think of them as one of the best as do all their fans, but I think everyone should view them as one of the best. If someone who never heard of them came along and saw the name, along with 'Hall of Fame' next to their name, that person would stop and consider that they must be one of the best in their field. btw, last I heard, pop was considered rock.

This whole argument of Rush being too good for the R&RHoF is akin to a college sorority girl not being invited to all the frat mixers and responding that she's too good for them anyway.

I don't think the band feels they are too good for the R&RHoF, although Alex did once say it was a joke. They are just going along doing what they enjoy and if they receive the associated honors and accolades, great. Heaven knows they looked extremely humbled to have received the Order of Canada. They might not be as humble to receive induction into the R&RHoF, but I think they would be happy to know that their years of work have been recognized as a great contribution to the music industry.

Archived