What Musical KICK are you currently ON?

moltenlava

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

re: Joni Mitchell-- Court And Spark is a must, Jaco or no. It's all about the songs. If you don't have the live "Shadows and Light" you need that too. It's amazing.

(EDIT--GeddyRulz, I read your post... wink.gif So you already know how kickass S&L is. Chris/moltenlava, my bro, you gotta get that one!)

Re: Jaco-- by the same token, don't avoid older Weather Report because Mr. Pastorius isn't there either. Some wonderful spacy stuff to be found there!

re: Alan Parsons -- Pyramid is my fave too. And if 'Don't Answer Me' isn't one of the most perfect pop songs of the 80s, I don't know what is..

I guess I'm not really on any real "kick" these days...that could change at any time.

Porcupine Tree

Opeth

Kind of a duo - they go together quite well. I find Opeth a bit *too* heavy at times, as I generally dislike growled vocals, but when I'm in a really really heavy metal mood, it's Opeth that seems to do the trick.

PT - I absolutely love. Absolutely superb songwriting, playing, everything. Haven't heard anything from them I haven't liked - but their last 3 albums have been stellar.

Stu!!!!!! What's up, brethren? Uncle Seige wants to know which Opeth discaroonies you're familiar with at present. I was just reading an interview with Steve Wilson where he talks about how layered and sprinkled with subtle complexity all the Opeth albums are that he has worked on. And, when you listen to things like Blackwater, Deliverance, Damnation, Ghost Reveries long enough, you begin to hear the band in a totally different light. All the nuances really rise to the surface and you become conscious of relationships in the compositions that kinda elude you the first dozen spins. Wilson says that the mark of a great piece of music. Something that reveals itself a little at a time. It really took me much longer than any other band to get into these guys.

Sugarland

I had their two previous albums before this new one came out a month or so ago, so I was already a fan. But, as with any bands I love for a short period of time, I wondered if the new album would still make me like them, or let them fall into the graveyard of "Bands I Used to Love". I was even more nervous when their radio single, "All I Want To Do" sounded like complete pop crap, with crap lyrics to go along. I thought they sold out to the newer country styles that all sound the same (even though they are "newer" country themselves). But I got Love on the Inside and really love it right now. Their single is really the only song on that album that doesn't "fit" in my opinion since the other tunes have a lot of their signature old-style folk mixed w/ newer country. It's a great album and I can't stop listening to it.

I know there are hardly any country fans on this board, but I really like this group. The singer, Jennifer Nettles, has a beautiful, soulful voice and I feel their lyrics are really good for a country band.

Tal Wilkenfeld... just... wow.

-head is dizzy-

I was totally impressed even before I knew she was a she. O_o

QUOTE (fritz44 @ Feb 15 2009, 08:23 AM)
UFO - Literally because of their "Chrysalis" catalogue being remastered.

UFO has snuk (?) into my origins of Prog and Metal research. It's just their earliest efforts which I'm concerned with at the moment. Things like Phenomenon (1974) and Force It (1975). There's a few tracks off of Phenom that I've definitely heard before, maybe from the radio or films. Doctor, Doctor, Space Child and Rock Bottom all sound very familiar.

If any of all ya'll want the names of some hidden gems which might interest a fan of early Yes or Rush, just give me a holla.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 15 2009, 01:45 PM)
Kings X

Now, forever and always

There is simply no one better....

Over at Last FM, I was listening to tracks from their most recent outing - XV. In a sense, King's X are a band like Muse and Porcupine Tree, who, when you listen to them you quickly grow indignant over the fact that they've been overlooked by most of the mainstream media. You know that there's plenty of short, accesible, highly melodic songs in their catalog which would go over extremely well on many of those mainstream radio stations, instantly raising the bar of what's acceptable on mainstream radio, if only they were given just a small push and some DJ support. But, eventually, you're resigned to accepting the fact that this music is much more intelligent and much better constructed than anything coming from Pop music and should always be kept seperate from it. It's a shame though, because most of these dull delinquents who listen to the radio will never know anything better, probaly think that there doesn't exist anything better.

http://www.last.fm/music/King%27s+X/XV

XV

I wouldn't exactly say I was on a kick, but a few weeks ago, I burned a couple of discs of studio versions of songs played live by The Rolling Stones in Oct. 6/8 2006 at a concert in my home town. The stadium had been expanded to 45,000 seats or so.

I had chauffeured my roomate and his galpals from Cowtown ... It was 3C, so I wasn't crazy about going to a concert, in a parka ... after watching enough football games at that venerable old drafty stadium. I have a newfound respect for TRS's journey, when dissecting their discography.

So they have been played a little bit more on my Ipod ... and like 2.gif , they have recorded a truckload of albums.

QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 15 2009, 11:39 PM)
I take it day by day. biggrin.gif Lately though its been.. Zeppelin 1022.gif

Me too. Always been a Zep fan. But for some reason, they're the music of choice these last couple of weeks.

van halen -78-84

allman brothers

zz top

a ton of death/speed/black metal

funk

653.gif

Archived