Alien & Aliens VS. Terminator 1 & 2

JohnnyBlaze

Which pair is better?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which pair is better?

• Alien & Aliens
    • Terminator 1 & 2

http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/terminator.gif vs http://www.meloncorp.com/arch/0047/alien1.jpg

These 4 movies are often mentioned in regards to quality sci-fi flicks. First, I liked them all. Alien was always a horror movie but gets lumped into the SF genre for obvious reasons. Individually I liked the originals better than their sequels. The creature in Alien seemed more menacing even though there was only one. In Aliens the bastards are being blasted left and right. Still good stuff though..."What?! With those things runnin' around?! You can count me out!" laugh.gif . In Terminator Ahnold was better suited as a relentless (mostly) silent murderous villain ..."Your clothes. Give them to me!" laugh.gif . In T2 his bad assery was toned down to fit his father-figure role with Edward Furlong. Still a great popcorn movie though.

So, I didn't even answer my own question...hmmm. I guess I'd go with T1 & T2 overall. I think the pacing was better in the Terminator movies (Alien moved a bit slow at times). And in Aliens I thought the scene where Ripley is laying waste to all the alien eggs looks a little cheesy (with her grunting and just mowing everything all away at once...total 80s!) these days. I'm not sold that any one of these is the best sci-fi movie of all time BUT they're worth mentioning in any conversation about the genre

I think Aliens is the best out of all those movies. It's gotta be one of the most intense sci-fi/action movies ever made. It's just relentless, but not in a wink at the camera type of way. I feel exhausted after I watch it. Plus that queen alien at the end just looks so f***ing badass.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 27 2008, 12:21 PM)
I think Aliens is the best out of all those movies. It's gotta be one of the most intense sci-fi/action movies ever made. It's just relentless, but not in a wink at the camera type of way. I feel exhausted after I watch it. Plus that queen alien at the end just looks so f***ing badass.

I agree, Aliens is pure intensity. T2 is a very close second, though. Both directed by James Cameron, too.

I agree 100%. Without question Aliens is my choice as THE most intense action suspense movie ever made.

However, aside from the first Alien - the other 3 choices are Cameron made. And he is THE most incredible action suspense movie maker there is. He doesn't have a bad movie.

Wow. Am I going to be the only one that votes for T1 and T2? Not that it matters but I thought the voting would be a bit closer (even though only 6 votes have been cast so far).

There's definitely more action in the sequels but I don't think sci-fi has to go that route at all to be good. But anyways, all kick ass movies nonetheless

QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 28 2008, 02:05 AM)

I agree 100%. Without question Aliens is my choice as THE most intense action suspense movie ever made.

However, aside from the first Alien - the other 3 choices are Cameron made. And he is THE most incredible action suspense movie maker there is. He doesn't have a bad movie.

You must've not seen Titanic laugh.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 27 2008, 01:11 PM)

Titanic was amazing. Sure it was a love story built around a tragedy. But tell me how it's not great??? It's my favorite from him, but truly - the man has never made a bad movie.

I mean c'mon! He made Aquaman starring Vincent Chase! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif laugh.gif

The original 'Alien'. Ridley Scott. That's all that needs to be said.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 27 2008, 01:23 PM)

From a horror SF movie perspective, one of the best ever made. It was like Jaws. When Alien came out, nobody would travel through space anymore. laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 27 2008, 01:25 PM)

That movie is first rate, too. The dinner table scene is classic.

You know what makes it so great? Ridley Scott dismissed the cast after John Hurt was laid on the table. Then the fx artists prepped him for the chestburster scene, when he was ready Scott told the rest of the cast to come back in, but didn't tell them what was about to happen. He had had the chestburster scene cut from the script before any of the cast saw it and re-wrote it as something like "the crew watches helplessly as Kane lapses into unconsciousness". Kind of a prick thing to do, but he got some great reactions, didn't he?

Almost forgot: Scott's doctored script had Kane "giving birth" to the alien offscreen with the crew discovering his remains afterwards.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 27 2008, 01:48 PM)

You know what makes it so great? Ridley Scott dismissed the cast after John Hurt was laid on the table. Then the fx artists prepped him for the chestburster scene, when he was ready Scott told the rest of the cast to come back in, but didn't tell them what was about to happen. He had had the chestburster scene cut from the script before any of the cast saw it and re-wrote it as something like "the crew watches helplessly as Kane lapses into unconsciousness". Kind of a prick thing to do, but he got some great reactions, didn't he?

Almost forgot: Scott's doctored script had Kane "giving birth" to the alien offscreen with the crew discovering his remains afterwards.

I never knew that! That's cool. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 28 2008, 02:20 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 27 2008, 01:11 PM)

Titanic was amazing. Sure it was a love story built around a tragedy. But tell me how it's not great??? It's my favorite from him, but truly - the man has never made a bad movie.

I mean c'mon! He made Aquaman starring Vincent Chase! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif laugh.gif

Even though it's a romance movie (which I don't mind), it still was a bit slow. And the pairing of DiCaprio and whatshername I just couldn't believe. Not that either one was bad but the two together didn't seem like a couple to me. The chemistry I guess. Besides, I shouldn't be able to guess how a movie's going to end 5 minutes into it (and of course I'm not talking about the thing sinking laugh.gif ). However, as far as set design, it was magnificent. Just not enough to keep me awake

Its a draw, in my mind. They both start off as more horror and suspense, and then they get switched up for the second movie to be balls-out action. Both sets of movies have classic lines that are a part of pop culture. If you held a gun to my head I would tell you to pull the trigger, because there is no way I could decide between the two franchises.

And as a footnote, the third movie in each franchise was absolutely terrible. Alien 3 was so bad that they basically tried to erase it, and T3 should never have been made.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 27 2008, 01:06 PM)
Wow.  Am I going to be the only one that votes for T1 and T2?  Not that it matters but I thought the voting would be a bit closer (even though only 6 votes have been cast so far). 
There's definitely more action in the sequels but I don't think sci-fi has to go that route at all to be good.  But anyways, all kick ass movies nonetheless

We're with ya JB!!! (Soooooooooo, I guess that's really 3 of us! laugh.gif )

The Terminators (1 and 2) have the fabulous time travel conundrum to ponder, which for us pushes them to the top.

John sends Kyle to impregnate Sarah to beget John. LOVE IT!

And, more importantly, so many messages and recommendations for the future . . .

1. become strong and fit

2. develop hand-to-hand combat skills

3. develop contacts in various locations that you would trust with your life

4. never trust phone calls

5. develop keen skills of intuition

6. learn basic first aid and emergency care

7. develop auto, motorcycle and bicycle driving and repair skills

8. always look for a second method of egress

9. government officials and corporate tyrants are greedy and stupid

10. learn to shoot and clean a gun; develop as many other weaponry skills as possible

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The Two of Us! 1287.gif biggrin.gif

Edited by Tortoise and Hare

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 27 2008, 01:48 PM)

That's some genius movie-making right there yes.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jun 27 2008, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 27 2008, 01:06 PM)
Wow.  Am I going to be the only one that votes for T1 and T2?  Not that it matters but I thought the voting would be a bit closer (even though only 6 votes have been cast so far). 
There's definitely more action in the sequels but I don't think sci-fi has to go that route at all to be good.  But anyways, all kick ass movies nonetheless

We're with ya JB!!! (Soooooooooo, I guess that's really 3 of us! laugh.gif )

The Terminators (1 and 2) have the fabulous time travel conundrum to ponder, which for us pushes them to the top.

John sends Kyle to impregnate Sarah to beget John. LOVE IT!

And, more importantly, so many messages and recommendations for the future . . .

1. become strong and fit

2. develop hand-to-hand combat skills

3. develop contacts in various locations that you would trust with your life

4. never trust phone calls

5. develop keen skills of intuition

6. learn basic first aid and emergency care

7. develop auto, motorcycle and bicycle driving and repair skills

8. always look for a second method of egress

9. government officials and corporate tyrants are greedy and stupid

10. learn to shoot and clean a gun; develop as many other weaponry skills as possible

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The Two of Us! 1287.gif biggrin.gif

and Terminators show no pity, or remorse, and absolutely will not stop, UNTIL YOU ARE DEAD!

Count me as a Terminator guy, because I think both T1 and T2 are amazing. I can watch them anytime, all the way through, and never be bored. I think T2 was the stronger one. It had a bit more emotional depth than the first.

"I know now why you cry...but it's something I can never do"