Rocco VS. Tiger

rushnmike

I can not believe that Tiger made that putt on 18 to tie tonight. I like to see tiger do the amazing things he does but today I really wanted Rocco to win. Incase you dont know, Rocco Mediate is a huge rush fan and is friends with Alex. He attends as many shows as he can and I remember him being one of the chicken basters in Dallas.

So lets all root for Rocco tomorrow to kick Tigers ass.

2.gif

Today (and yesterday) were just amazing! This was golf at it's finest and there is a reason why Tiger is who he is.

Yeah, Rocco might be a Rush fan, but he is also a huge fan of Tiger and tomorrow we will see who has the mental game. Should be awesome! Can't wait.

Rocco is lucky this wasn't a PGA event (it's a USGA event), because the winner would have been decided by a sudden death playoff, instead of 18 holes tomorrow.

QUOTE (rushnmike @ Jun 15 2008, 11:24 PM)
I can not believe that Tiger made that putt on 18 to tie tonight. I like to see tiger do the amazing things he does but today I really wanted Rocco to win. Incase you dont know, Rocco Mediate is a huge rush fan and is friends with Alex. He attends as many shows as he can and I remember him being one of the chicken basters in Dallas.

2.gif

Or how about this?

I root for Tiger to kick Rocco's ass even though hes a Rush fan.

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jun 15 2008, 10:07 PM)

2.gif

Or how about this?

Whatever, it's good golf.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 16 2008, 12:14 AM)
QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jun 15 2008, 10:07 PM)

2.gif

Or how about this?

Whatever, it's good golf.

Oh its great golf. What i think is awesome is that Tigers got one good leg and hes winning arguably the hardest tournament.

Rocco's a great guy. I think everyone saw that today. He's a great interview...and he's a positive human being. I love him, and he's playing well enough to win tomorrow, but playing Tiger head to head isn't going to be easy because Tiger is intimidating. Tiger's also hurting pretty bad. Obviously he wouldn't be out there if it weren't the Open. Rocco's got a chance.

But...who didn't know Tiger was going to hit that putt? He's the best pressure putter I've ever seen or ever will see. He's been dropping huge putts all week, and he damn well wasn't going to miss that one. Rocco knew it too, and said so.

I think they're both cool...whoever wins...wins.

Hey! It's great to hear Rocco is a Rush fan and friends with Alex. However, I'm a huge Tiger fan, so I feel a little conflicted here. How about "May the best man win" instead!

But let's not overplay the "Tiger's got one leg" thing guys. I think the media has definitely played that up to the nth degree and it makes for good reading and will no doubt add to "the legend of Tiger Woods", but I dont think it's like the guy should be using his putter for a cane as Johnny Miller likes to describe it. He's hurt, but a lot of golfers play hurt, so give it a rest

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Jun 16 2008, 04:26 PM)
QUOTE (1974FAN @ Jun 16 2008, 09:46 AM)
How about "May the best man win" instead!

Then that would be Rocco. Maybe not the best golfer but definitely the best man. yes.gif

Why? Just because he has a better personality on the course than Tiger. People didn't even know who Rocco was before this.

I work on the PGA Tour, and know Rocco well. This already has changed his life,..win or lose. Had he won, the change would have been much greater. He's "great people",...what you see is what you get.

Mark Calcavecchia is also a major Rush fan. We're always talking Rush when our paths cross at tournaments. Last year during the BMW Championship in Chicago, we all went to see Alex and the boys after play Saturday night in Joliet.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 16 2008, 04:23 PM)
Why?  Just because he has a better personality on the course than Tiger.  People didn't even know who Rocco was before this.

This is a typical comment from an Eldrick-loving, golf-ignorant person. As a long time golf fan, I guarantee you that I knew who Rocco Mediate was many years ago. His back problems have been legendary for quite a while. Perhaps "Many people" would have been an accurate way to start that sentence.

FYI, Eldrick is Mr. Woods' real first name.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 16 2008, 05:23 PM)

Then that would be Rocco. Maybe not the best golfer but definitely the best man. yes.gif

Why? Just because he has a better personality on the course than Tiger. People didn't even know who Rocco was before this.

I did.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 17 2008, 08:33 AM)

I did.

Me too. I've been a Rocco fan for years, before I knew he was a Rush fan. He's a great guy who seems to have fun on the course, never has a bad word to say about anyone, never throws a club in anger...he's like one of the cool friends you grew up with who just happened to make the PGA tour, and stayed the same cool person.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 17 2008, 07:49 AM)

I did.

Me too. I've been a Rocco fan for years, before I knew he was a Rush fan. He's a great guy who seems to have fun on the course, never has a bad word to say about anyone, never throws a club in anger...he's like one of the cool friends you grew up with who just happened to make the PGA tour, and stayed the same cool person.

Yeah, that's why he was so popular among the gallery yesterday. No golf fan wants to see Tiger lose, but it's easy to pull for a guy like Rocco Mediate. Had Tiger been playing Colin Montgomerie or Rory Sabbatini in a playoff, the love wouldn't have been there...Tiger would have been the choice to win by 100% of the crowd. But Mediate is likable, he's just like us.

That being said, I'm glad Tiger won.

2.gif

QUOTE (subdivider79 @ Jun 17 2008, 08:58 AM)

I did.

Yeah, that's why he was so popular among the gallery yesterday. No golf fan wants to see Tiger lose, but it's easy to pull for a guy like Rocco Mediate. Had Tiger been playing Colin Montgomerie or Rory Sabbatini in a playoff, the love wouldn't have been there...Tiger would have been the choice to win by 100% of the crowd. But Mediate is likable, he's just like us.

2.gif

Rocco's the reason I use a long putter today. He doesn't use it anymore, but he used to.

QUOTE (subdivider79 @ Jun 17 2008, 08:58 AM)

I did.

2.gif

goodpost.gif

I followed Mediate for many years and then had a chance to see that chat with him and Alex on the Golf Channel and I was instantly a fan of his affability; in a sport where there are either very serious professionals, or superstars, Rocco is just a guy with a consistent game and swing, and a terrific sense of humor.

I don't know why, but during the final round, he was reminding me a little bit of David Lee Roth (not the annoying DLR ego) but that goofy laugh-at-anything approach during the most pressure-filled event for a professional golfer. Here the guy was, paired with Tiger Woods, on a Sunday in a major championship, and he was able to maintain his humor throughout. I would have melted. I would have probably been laughing but only because I was soiling myself on national TV in front of millions. :-)

Anyway, I was pulling for Rocco. Tiger is a machine unlike any that we have seen, and while it was inevitable, my heart went out to Rocco in the playoff. He played so well, for 90 holes. He's a true sportsman.

I don't know if anyone read any of the stories from the newswire about Rocco's comments after Sunday (heading into the Monday playoff) but it was pretty hilarious; asked if he thought Tiger was worried about the playoff (because of his knee), Mediate said "He does look nervous" as he looked over at Tiger and laughed.

I can see him and Alex getting along pretty well, lol.

I don't know if any caught this quote of Tiger's about Rocco,.....

"I think it is just fascinating how Rocco can be laughing and talkin it up the majority of the time, but when it is his turn to play, he gets right into "the zone" just like everyone else."

Tiger probably wishes he had that personaility trait,..it's something that you just have within your pesronality,..not something learned.

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Jun 16 2008, 03:26 PM)

Theyre both equally great men. Just look at how much Tiger gives to charity. That is the best thing a man can do.

Archived