The Happening

deadwing2112

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 12 2008, 04:16 PM)
It's gonna suck. Unless you're a total Shyamalamadingdong apologist/sycophant.

ohmy.gif

WHOA THERE!!!! Didn't I patent that "lamadingdong" thing for Obama???

You'll be hearing from my lawyers. laugh.gif

Edited by Necromancer

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 12 2008, 05:17 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 12 2008, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jun 12 2008, 03:16 PM)
I would if I knew what the hell it was about.
The people are just dropping like flies in the trailer. But what's killing them?  confused13.gif
And the last good movie I saw by M. Night Shamylan was Signs.

schla03.gif

I'll skip this one, thanks.

Signs was entertaining up until the aliens (who managed to fly thru space and have advanced weapons) couldn't break down a wood door...

schla03.gif

and those same advanced aliens couldnt see our planet was 3/4 water before they invaded?

Or that the human body is mostly water... confused13.gif

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jun 13 2008, 09:11 PM)
So, what you're saying is that a superficial, unimportant detail ruined an otherwise good movie for you?

Er...yes, when something so positively absurd takes place it makes a movie silly.

The human condition?

laugh.gif

I'm sorry to laugh but that's a touch of a film school cliche is it not? Surely you jest.

And saying things like:

Doesn't seem like a very reasonable reation to me, but hey, to each their own...

I find to be a bit of passive-aggressive, pompous buggery. Just come out and call me unreasonable next time. I won't cry.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jun 14 2008, 07:53 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 12 2008, 04:16 PM)
It's gonna suck. Unless you're a total Shyamalamadingdong apologist/sycophant.

ohmy.gif

WHOA THERE!!!! Didn't I patent that "lamadingdong" thing for Obama???

You'll be hearing from my lawyers. laugh.gif

doh.gif bolt.gif laugh.gif

All you newer members with an opinion on Shyamalan should check out this poll/thread.

Every time Shyamalan is mentioned in a thread, we always have these debates (not that it's a bad thing). wink.gif

I was absolutely gonna see this movie this past week-end, but was kept away by the poor reviews and extremely low rotten tomatoes percentage.

However, three people on this thread saw it and enjoyed it, so I guess I'm gonna give it a shot.

I've loved all his movies except Lady in the Water which just didn't work at all.

I saw it and the whole time I was wishing I was in the theatre next door seeing the Hulk. Thin storyline that went absolutely nowhere. His spookiness is not that spooky anymore, especially without a plot.

I would wait until it comes out on Blue ray. (or even TNT)

personally i loved it.

i loved the scene at the model house, there was a big billoard and it said 'you deserve this'

had a chuckle at that.

i think that the way the thing affected them (how they die) was probably the most disturbing thing, more than your average murderer or zombie or whatever.

***spoiler****

the scene where there's loads of bodys hanging from the trees was like *shock* . and the way they start walking backwards when they are infected . i dunno i just thing it was brilliant. and it had humour!!

As pissed off as I am at M. Night for the last few movies, I really enjoyed this one!

It was a bit like a long twilight episode, but I didn't find anything wrong with it!

It was total garbage. What a waste of 91 minutes... I could have been washing my car or something...

Just for the Record.. I loved the Sixth Sense and Signs, so I tend to give M. Night some slack, but his last two have really blown...

Tortoise and I finally went last night despite the negative reviews. We tend to like many movies that get bad reviews.

So, here's what we thought . . .

*Spoilers below*

We were at first excited about the premise of the conflict - - in a Peter Tompkins, The Secret Life of Plants sort of way.

But there was never any explanation that we could identify for the characters that were immune to the toxic element. I almost thought that he was going for an Andromeda Strain exclusion - - the hyperventilating drunk and baby who both neglected to succumb because the strain did not have time to settle into their lungs. But, in The Happening, crying, screaming, fearful people died.

Then I thought perhaps they would do the "moral judgement" type of salvation, whereas the sentient plants would pardon the humans who were "true at heart"? For instance, the two main characters in the end - - perhaps they were saved because they put aside their fears and negativity to re-focus on their loving relationship? This would have been the way I would have liked to see it end, but this did not account for the little girl, who was still fearful and angry AND still alive.

Then I thought that maybe the greenhouse owners would be spared because they were experienced in "plant speak" - - but no, they died as well - - although perhaps they were punished for eating hotdogs!! laugh.gif

Then the logical premise (and perhaps an indictment of over-population hinted at by the Northeast setting) that the natural forces only killed large groups of humans - - which was the point-of-view of the main characters for awhile - - was blown at the end when the old widow woman died, alone!

We sort of feel that it would have been a better movie, if everyone had died in the effected area. That would have made a dramatic and apocalyptic point!!!

But . . . maybe he was going for the "randomness of nature", maybe chaos theory???

Maybe I'm over-analysing!!! confused13.gif

Also, in this movie, television news-reporters served the role of narrator much too frequently!!! I believe that this element was interjected when they realized that there were too many unexplained details in the plot.

Poor acting - - OVER acting!!

I'm with YaBigTree - - we did have a chuckle over the "You Deserve This" sign.

But overall this movie was very dissapointing. And we have loved Shamalyan's other movies.

Hare biggrin.gif

M.Night is the most overrated film maker in the history of cinema. I dont get why people get excited for his films. confused13.gif

Sixth sence was good.(still a bit overrated imo)

Signs was good.( once again, overrated)

The Villiage blew !

The Lady In The Water was as bad a movie as I have seen in years.

Seriously, whats the big stinkin deal with this guy ?

P.S. I know you love this guy Goobs, you need not write a novel explaining why The Villiage was great, and he doesn't suck. no.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 24 2008, 03:43 PM)
M.Night is the most overrated film maker in the history of cinema. I dont get why people get excited for his films. confused13.gif

Sixth sence was good.(still a bit overrated imo)
Signs was good.( once again, overrated)
The Villiage blew !
The Lady In The Water was as bad a movie as I have seen in years.

Seriously, whats the big stinkin deal with this guy ?

P.S. I know you love this guy Goobs, you need not write a novel explaining why The Villiage was great, and he doesn't suck. no.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 24 2008, 03:43 PM)

He already has.

More than once.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jun 24 2008, 11:03 AM)
Tortoise and I finally went last night despite the negative reviews. We tend to like many movies that get bad reviews.

*Spoilers below*

We were at first excited about the premise of the conflict - - in a Peter Tompkins, The Secret Life of Plants sort of way.

But there was never any explanation that we could identify for the characters that were immune to the toxic element. I almost thought that he was going for an Andromeda Strain exclusion - - the hyperventilating drunk and baby who both neglected to succumb because the strain did not have time to settle into their lungs. But, in The Happening, crying, screaming, fearful people died.

Then I thought perhaps they would do the "moral judgement" type of salvation, whereas the sentient plants would pardon the humans who were "true at heart"? For instance, the two main characters in the end - - perhaps they were saved because they put aside their fears and negativity to re-focus on their loving relationship? This would have been the way I would have liked to see it end, but this did not account for the little girl, who was still fearful and angry AND still alive.

Then I thought that maybe the greenhouse owners would be spared because they were experienced in "plant speak" - - but no, they died as well - - although perhaps they were punished for eating hotdogs!! laugh.gif

Then the logical premise (and perhaps an indictment of over-population hinted at by the Northeast setting) that the natural forces only killed large groups of humans - - which was the point-of-view of the main characters for awhile - - was blown at the end when the old widow woman died, alone!

We sort of feel that it would have been a better movie, if everyone had died in the effected area. That would have made a dramatic and apocalyptic point!!!

But . . . maybe he was going for the "randomness of nature", maybe chaos theory???

Maybe I'm over-analysing!!! confused13.gif

Also, in this movie, television news-reporters served the role of narrator much too frequently!!! I believe that this element was interjected when they realized that there were too many unexplained details in the plot.

But overall this movie was very dissapointing. And we have loved Shamalyan's other movies.

Hare biggrin.gif

I had to quote so I could read it. Thine eyes cannot decifer the gawdy yellow font.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 24 2008, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jun 24 2008, 11:03 AM)
Tortoise and I finally went last night despite the negative reviews.  We tend to like many movies that get bad reviews.

*Spoilers below*

But there was never any explanation that we could identify for the characters that were immune to the toxic element.    I almost thought that he was going for an  Andromeda Strain exclusion - - the hyperventilating drunk and baby who both neglected to succumb because the strain did not have time to settle into their lungs.  But, in The Happening, crying, screaming, fearful people died. 

Then I thought perhaps they would do the "moral judgement" type of salvation, whereas the sentient plants would pardon the humans who were "true at heart"?  For instance, the two main characters in the end - - perhaps they were saved because they put aside their fears and negativity to re-focus on their loving relationship?  This would have been the way I would have liked to see it end, but this did not account for the little girl, who was still fearful and angry AND still alive. 

Then I thought that maybe the greenhouse owners would be spared because they were experienced in "plant speak" - - but no, they died as well - - although perhaps they were punished for eating hotdogs!!  laugh.gif

We sort of feel that it would have been a better movie, if everyone had died in the effected area.  That would have made a dramatic and apocalyptic point!!! 

Maybe I'm over-analysing!!!  confused13.gif

Also, in this movie, television news-reporters served the role of narrator much too frequently!!!  I believe that this element was interjected when they realized that there were too many unexplained details in the plot.

But overall this movie was very dissapointing.  And we have loved Shamalyan's other movies.

Hare  biggrin.gif

I had to quote so I could read it. Thine eyes cannot decifer the gawdy yellow font.

It was in a yellow font for a reason-it contains spoilers. You don't have to quote it to read it, you can just highlight it.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 24 2008, 04:13 PM)

It was in a yellow font for a reason-it contains spoilers. You don't have to quote it to read it, you can just highlight it.

Yes of course.

I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Either way, looks like I'll be waiting for the DVD release.

No need to sit in a theatre for this one.