Ever been an extra?

I just had a strange experience. My son wanted me to take him to the filming of High School Musical 3 and be an extra with his friends. So I did and I ended up being an extra as well. I never realized how much work it is to film a motion picture. We were filming a basketball game and the director wanted a continuous scene that ends with a guy making a three point shot. We did fifteen takes and he still didn't get it. It took all day long.

Since I haven't seen any of the other of the high school musicals, I had no idea who the actors were. I ate lunch at a table with the basketball coach and had no idea he was an actor. There were people asking him for pictures and after a while I thought he might be famous.

If you see the movie, the guy in the crowd with a white hat holding a "warriors rule" banner is me. laugh.gif

Has anyone else ever been an extra in a movie before?

I've never been an extra, but was interested in being one for "Leatherheads" with George Clooney. They had a casting call in Greensboro and were going to be filming the movie there and in Salisbury.

I watched part of the filming of "Love Field" with Michelle Pfeiffer which was being shot in part in my hometown of Rocky Mount.

When I was younger I had opportunities to be an extra in Mtv music videos and some modeling. The money offered was good too. But my drug addiction was far more important and I blew every opportunity. Very sad sad.gif

Now I just live happily through my friend Dave up in Toronto who has a 20 year history of commercials and movies and makes a decent living out of it and has been aquainted and worked with many famous people.

His most recent was The Love Guru the Mike Meyers movie where Dave had 5 or 6 different roles as an extra. smile.gif

Luck Bastard angry.gif tongue.gif

Saw Megadeth tape their live portion for the movie The Decline of Western Civilization: Part II - The Metal Years @ The Country Club in Reseda, CA many years ago. They played one song three times and the footage is shown at the very end of the movie. Some of the security searching us can be seen at the beginning of the movie, too, but I haven't been able to spot myself in the movie yet. Waiting for the official DVD..all I have so far is a grainy bootleg.

I was an extra in a 3 Doors Down video - they are from my neck of the woods, in case you didn't know... wink.gif

It was for the song "When I'm Gone"... not the version that they officially released, but the original conceptual video which did not make the cut (didn't get released)... they did, however, have it posted on their website for a while (it was listed as an alternate vid for the song)...

The original video concept was of a funeral type nature... had a funeral procession (which I was in), and the band was being buried alive in a pit, while playing! I could be seen in the vid, for a whole 1.5 seconds! laugh.gif

Edit - Just checked - the video is no longer on their site anymore.

Edited by rushbass

QUOTE (owlswing @ May 19 2008, 06:05 PM)
Does Captain Kangaroo count. I was real young but I was on it. smile.gif

ohmy.gif DUDE! NO WAY! That would have been awesome to be on Capt. Kangy laugh.gif

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ May 19 2008, 12:54 PM)
I just had a strange experience. My son wanted me to take him to the filming of High School Musical 3 and be an extra with his friends. So I did and I ended up being an extra as well. I never realized how much work it is to film a motion picture. We were filming a basketball game and the director wanted a continuous scene that ends with a guy making a three point shot. We did fifteen takes and he still didn't get it. It took all day long.

Since I haven't seen any of the other of the high school musicals, I had no idea who the actors were. I ate lunch at a table with the basketball coach and had no idea he was an actor. There were people asking him for pictures and after a while I thought he might be famous.

If you see the movie, the guy in the crowd with a white hat holding a "warriors rule" banner is me. laugh.gif

You are now my hero, as I can now tell my daughter that I know someone who has been part of the filming of HSM3.

cheer.gif

Edit: Oh, I've never been an extra, but I've been on t.v. a few times for the news & sports.

Edited by goose

It's funny because I used to work with a guy named Ben at Sam Goody's in Boston who was an extra for Good Will Hunting (no not Ben Affleck). Anyhow, this was way before it became the giant suprise hit or whatever, and he said he got to see Mini Driver a lot (I guess this is a good thing, but not for me blech..).

Anyhow, if you remember that movie where they are driving and see a bunch of gang kids walking near a basketball court and they all jump out and start fighting, Ben's the one in the black leather jacket. He said he got paid $3000 to do it, and that he really got punched in the face by accident while shooting it, since they had to do some re-takes.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 20 2008, 10:29 AM)
It's funny because I used to work with a guy named Ben at Sam Goody's in Boston who was an extra for Good Will Hunting (no not Ben Affleck). Anyhow, this was way before it became the giant suprise hit or whatever, and he said he got to see Mini Driver a lot (I guess this is a good thing, but not for me blech..).

Anyhow, if you remember that movie where they are driving and see a bunch of gang kids walking near a basketball court and they all jump out and start fighting, Ben's the one in the black leather jacket. He said he got paid $3000 to do it, and that he really got punched in the face by accident while shooting it, since they had to do some re-takes.

Did he get punched in the face on the re-takes? laugh.gif

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ May 20 2008, 10:32 AM)

Beats me, all I know is he said he got punched once and that it hurt a whole bunch. He had to sign some paperwork beforehand otherwise he could probably have a lot of money right now!

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 20 2008, 10:34 AM)

Beats me, all I know is he said he got punched once and that it hurt a whole bunch. He had to sign some paperwork beforehand otherwise he could probably have a lot of money right now!

Was the "Beats me" an intentional pun? tongue.gif

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ May 20 2008, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 20 2008, 10:34 AM)

Was the "Beats me" an intentional pun? tongue.gif

One thing I learned was that acting is a lot harder than it looks. How many takes can you do when your getting punched?

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ May 19 2008, 01:54 PM)

Yes.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 20 2008, 02:12 PM)

Yes.

Gotta love it when Jack is intentionally cryptic. wink.gif

I was an extra on a music video for someone you never heard of filmed in Vermont in 1983 or 1984, but it never aired on MTV. I was actually there for 2 or 3 days for the entire shoot and did odd jobs. It was way fun. The only person who I know MIGHT have a copy of it is my mother, unless she threw it out years ago, which is highly likely...

QUOTE (rushbass @ May 19 2008, 06:10 PM)
I was an extra in a 3 Doors Down video - they are from my neck of the woods, in case you didn't know... wink.gif

It was for the song "When I'm Gone"... not the version that they officially released, but the original conceptual video which did not make the cut (didn't get released)... they did, however, have it posted on their website for a while (it was listed as an alternate vid for the song)...

The original video concept was of a funeral type nature... had a funeral procession (which I was in), and the band was being buried alive in a pit, while playing! I could be seen in the vid, for a whole 1.5 seconds! laugh.gif

Edit - Just checked - the video is no longer on their site anymore.

Cool! I thought I found it on YouTube but instead it was one of those super annoying worthless asswipe videos someone made that just plays the song and shows some pictures.

QUOTE (udanax @ May 19 2008, 06:20 PM)
no, but some of our family firends were extras in Titanic.....they said the water was actually really really warm

Sounds like someone may have been peeing in that pool. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 20 2008, 06:10 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 20 2008, 02:12 PM)

Yes.

Gotta love it when Jack is intentionally cryptic. wink.gif

It's only because when it comes to being an extra I don't exactly pick winners, so I'm a little embarassed. laugh.gif

I was a Marine in 'King Kong Lives'. I met Linda Hamilton who is very cool and has a great sense of humor. No, I never saw the movie. I was also in a crowd scene in 'Collision Course' which starred Jay Leno and Pat Morita. I met both of them and shook their hands. Jay was hilarious and constantly cracking jokes and Pat was very kind and had a smile for everyone, both were total class acts. I planned to go and be an extra in Stephen King's 'Cat's Eye', but I finally got a date with a girl that I'd been pursuing for a couple of weeks so she got priority. wink.gif

That's it for my film career. laugh.gif

I went to a casting call for extras in the Denzel Washington movie Deja Vu; when they were filming here in New Orleans in March of 2006.

I was chosen amongst about a hundred + others to be of the Navy. They told us, "...you're coming into New Orleans for Mardi Gras and you're gonna die..." = the ferry explodes.

It was hard work; getting to the location site for 5 in the morning, then shooting all day, for 3 days; lots of hurry up, background action, action, cut, reset & wait; then getting home after 7 that night. That first night, Tuesday, March 14th, I was so tired I was out within 5 minutes.

Wedensday was very tiring, lots of moving = very uncomfortable shoes from wardrobe.

Thursday = boredom.

Yet I'm very proud of their finished product.

If you haven't seen Deja Vu, check it out. The part that I'm in somewhere is in the very begining.