Any fans of Open Secrets

Picture Moving

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 14 2008, 09:19 PM)
I guess there's no love for tai shan?  A different sounding song, but I like it.  The music is perfect for the lyrics.

No, I dig Tai Shan. As I said recently on here along with High Water and Time Stand Still that was originally the only song I enjoyed from Hold Your Fire until I went back and realised what an awesome, awesome album that is.

I love Geddy's bass on Tai Shan, always wanted to learn to play it just because of that distinct, "forwards" tone he gets outta it.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ May 14 2008, 09:26 PM)
Open Secrets is definately in my top 20 Rush songs, but yet, from what I know, it has NEVER been played live???

why??!?!?!

Probably because quite a lot of the Rush fanbase doesn't feel that way, although I'm with you on this; its an awesome tune (Not sure it would make my person top 20 though) not everyone feels that way and I guess its always nice when the songs you choose to play get a good response rather than a lukewarm one.

Plus as you probably already know a lot of the material on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire is very complex arrangement-wise and might be quite difficult for the band to reproduce live, which might also explain the complete rejection of Power Windows material and just Mission from Hold Your Fire on the Snakes & Arrows tour.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ May 14 2008, 03:30 PM)
Open Secrets is definately in my top 20 Rush songs, but yet, from what I know, it has NEVER been played live???

why??!?!?!

Probably because quite a lot of the Rush fanbase doesn't feel that way, although I'm with you on this; its an awesome tune (Not sure it would make my person top 20 though) not everyone feels that way and I guess its always nice when the songs you choose to play get a good response rather than a lukewarm one.

Plus as you probably already know a lot of the material on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire is very complex arrangement-wise and might be quite difficult for the band to reproduce live, which might also explain the complete rejection of Power Windows material and just Mission from Hold Your Fire on the Snakes & Arrows tour.

i se your point, but songs like Natural Science, which they obviously still play, have a lot more complex arrangements then Open Secrets and they play those still.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ May 14 2008, 09:38 PM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ May 14 2008, 03:30 PM)

why??!?!?!

i se your point, but songs like Natural Science, which they obviously still play, have a lot more complex arrangements then Open Secrets and they play those still.

Yes but in a different way. Perhaps I should have phrased my response differently. Natural Science is a difficult song to play. Some of the songs on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire while clearly not as "virtuoso" on any of the instruments as Natural Science... take the guitar part in Marathon for example... are heavily overdubbed and full of triggered samples. I think its Geddy in Contents Under Pressure who speaks about how difficult it was to play song of those songs live on tour, all three of the guys were having to trigger overdubs in the form of samples through pedals, synth or synth pads.

You can see why that might get tricky and its probably one of the major reasons why in a way Presto and Counterparts are the start of a much more "back to basics" or "stripped down" sound for Rush.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ May 14 2008, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ May 14 2008, 09:19 PM)
I guess there's no love for tai shan?  A different sounding song, but I like it.  The music is perfect for the lyrics.

No, I dig Tai Shan. As I said recently on here along with High Water and Time Stand Still that was originally the only song I enjoyed from Hold Your Fire until I went back and realised what an awesome, awesome album that is.

I love Geddy's bass on Tai Shan, always wanted to learn to play it just because of that distinct, "forwards" tone he gets outta it.

I like Tai Shan too. It's lovely to hear during a bike ride through the park. smile.gif smile.gif

Open Secrets is a fantastic song.

For anyone who is married or in a long term relationship, the lyrics are very relevant. In fact they are pretty close to the bone, and I found myself wincing with recognition on hearing them for the first time.

the music is superb as well wih some tasty bass and guitar

I was looking out the window

I should have looked at your face instead.....

Excellent song smilies-8579.png

Open Secrets was the first "new" song for me to hear once I bought the CD. I already knew Force Ten and Time Stand Still from Chronicles - which was my most significant introduction to the band's previous work, especially thought the 80's.

So Secrets really opened my eyes and ears to just how incredible Hold Your Fire is as a whole. It's dark sound through the keys still stands out above all the others. It's gripping. Just a flawless song.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 15 2008, 09:50 AM)
I like the song a lot. Love that album. THE most improved album for me...over all my listens....based on what I used to think. (Never disliked it...but didn't love it like I do now).

Good man. smile.gif

Archived