• A matchstick
    • Knife or something sharp
    • A Writing Tool
    • Something Else
    • I Don't
    • What?!

Ow!

After the funeral posession postings, I need to escape. bye.. bolt.gif

you can also use the removable cap on a Bic pen. That little piece that hangs down that you use to clip on your pocket works perfectly! yes.gif

Weird that there would be a poll/thread on earwax. Right now my left ear is waxing up enough for me to go to the doctor for a flush. This happens every few years or so.

If you've never had this done before, they basically stick a turkey baster full of water/saline in the ear canal and give it a few squirts. Gobs of oooey goooey gnarly looking earwax are pumped out of the ear canal, offering instant relief.

It's not known what then becomes of the extracted wax by-product.

I would imagine it is stored with all the other biohazardous waste material that a clinic produces before disposal.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 1 2008, 08:03 PM)
Weird that there would be a poll/thread on earwax. Right now my left ear is waxing up enough for me to go to the doctor for a flush. This happens every few years or so.

If you've never had this done before, they basically stick a turkey baster full of water/saline in the ear canal and give it a few squirts. Gobs of oooey goooey gnarly looking earwax are pumped out of the ear canal, offering instant relief.

I would imagine it is stored with all the other biohazardous waste material that a clinic produces before disposal.

Been there done that.

QUOTE (SeahawkRush @ May 1 2008, 04:02 PM)
you can also use the removable cap on a Bic pen. That little piece that hangs down that you use to clip on your pocket works perfectly! yes.gif

That's what I do (when I don't have a cutip)

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ May 1 2008, 06:45 PM)
How do you use your elbow to get earwax ph34r.gif

You can't. That's the point! You're not supposed to put anything inside your ear, except your elbow! Get it!!!!

Oh yeah...I had this done once...what came out was at least an inch long...and it felt great!

I actually had a huge problem with ear wax for several weeks very recently. I went to the doctor, he told me to put olive oil in my ears and come back. I did, and it felt a little better. When I came back, he zapped all the wax out with a water syringe, and now my hearing has returned with a vengeance! Every day noises seem a bit... loud!

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 1 2008, 07:05 PM)

Been there done that.

My husband has to have that done from time to time. What comes out looks like huge wads of chewing tobacco.

I know when he needs to have it done because THE VOLUME ON THE TV IS THIS LOUD!

Reading through this thread, I am wondering how many of you have had to be treated for perforated eardrums at some point. . .

Here's something I heard about a few years ago: ear candles. What they are is a wax-covered paper cone about 6-7 inches long. You take a styrofoam plate or anything that won't readily burn, poke a hole in it and stick the point of the candle through that and then lay down and insert the candle in your ear. You simply light the end of the candle and it will take about 2-3 minutes to burn and the plate will catch the ashes. The rising heat causes a suction that pulls wax and gunk up into the candle. Don't worry, the suction is not even noticeable. Some candles come with instructions that tell you to massage the neck area around the eustachian tube and the ear in order to loosen the wax in there.

It's popular with health nuts (I've only been able to find them at a health food store in town) because it works without having to put chemicals or flushing water in the ear. You probably won't find them at a chain store like GNC though. You can call and ask them but I know the one here in town doesn't have them. And you'd be surprised by how well they work. I always get a plug of wax about the size of the end of my pinky finger.

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ May 2 2008, 06:27 AM)
Here's something I heard about a few years ago: ear candles. What they are is a wax-covered paper cone about 6-7 inches long. You take a styrofoam plate or anything that won't readily burn, poke a hole in it and stick the point of the candle through that and then lay down and insert the candle in your ear. You simply light the end of the candle and it will take about 2-3 minutes to burn and the plate will catch the ashes. The rising heat causes a suction that pulls wax and gunk up into the candle. Don't worry, the suction is not even noticeable. Some candles come with instructions that tell you to massage the neck area around the eustachian tube and the ear in order to loosen the wax in there.
It's popular with health nuts (I've only been able to find them at a health food store in town) because it works without having to put chemicals or flushing water in the ear. You probably won't find them at a chain store like GNC though. You can call and ask them but I know the one here in town doesn't have them. And you'd be surprised by how well they work. I always get a plug of wax about the size of the end of my pinky finger.

Yes, candles are a very effective method also. Thanks for mentioning.

It also should be noted that Q-tips are not advised as they will likely pack in the wax further into the ear canal. Pens, hairpins and other objects increase likelyhood of a perforated eardrum - which you definitely do not want.

Now look after your ears! They could save your ass one day.

I never seem to get ear-wax. no.gif I know, because I have a dig in there quite often. yes.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 2 2008, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ May 2 2008, 06:27 AM)

Yes, candles are a very effective method also. Thanks for mentioning.

It also should be noted that Q-tips are not advised as they will likely pack in the wax further into the ear canal. Pens, hairpins and other objects increase likelyhood of a perforated eardrum - which you definitely do not want.

Now look after your ears! They could save your ass one day.

yup. I've been using the candles for quite a few years.

You can usually find them now @ almost any health food/vitamin store. I've seen them @ Whole Foods, a GNC in my hood, and Vitamin Outlet (not sure where else those live)

I can't do them by myself tho. I need to have someone help because you have to lay on your side, and the candles are long. During the burning, a portion of the burnt candle is cut off, and placed in a dish of water (to immediately cool down).

I've used them on my kids a number of times as well. They work great!

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ May 3 2008, 10:04 AM)
Ear candles? Those things are illegal here.
You know they don't really work. wacko.gif

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/h...ndle/index.html
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/iyh-vsv/med/ear-oreille_e.html

Hmmm.......interesting.

Personally I've never used them, but maybe I'll just stick to flushing out my big floppy ears.

Archived