• Corner of a piece of mail or album cover
    • A matchstick
    • Knife or something sharp
    • A Writing Tool
    • Something Else
    • I Don't
    • What?!

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 2 2008, 09:12 AM)
It also should be noted that Q-tips are not advised as they will likely pack in the wax further into the ear canal.

yes.gif blush4.gif I had this problem once. Nothing was noticeable until I brought my grandson to a local water park. It was a hot day and the water was nice and warm. As soon as we jumped in the water, my ears filled up. Usually this is not a problem, but this time the warm water softened and expanded the wax in my ears (not one ear. . . both). Needless to say I was deaf upon surfacing, not stone deaf but very hard of hearing. It sounded and felt similar to jamming my head between two pillows.

At the emergency room later for an ear cleaning. blush4.gif all were amazed at the raisin sized chunk of wax that came from each ear, and this was after they used some type of solution to dissolve the wax. YUK.

I still use Q-tips to clean (and push wax deeper into) my ears. banghead.gif Old habits, eh

Tortoise 1287.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ May 3 2008, 10:32 AM)
Needless to say I was deaf upon surfacing, not stone deaf but very hard of hearing. It sounded and felt similar to jamming my head between two pillows.

That's a horrible feeling.

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ May 2 2008, 07:27 AM)
Here's something I heard about a few years ago: ear candles. What they are is a wax-covered paper cone about 6-7 inches long. You take a styrofoam plate or anything that won't readily burn, poke a hole in it and stick the point of the candle through that and then lay down and insert the candle in your ear. You simply light the end of the candle and it will take about 2-3 minutes to burn and the plate will catch the ashes. The rising heat causes a suction that pulls wax and gunk up into the candle. Don't worry, the suction is not even noticeable. Some candles come with instructions that tell you to massage the neck area around the eustachian tube and the ear in order to loosen the wax in there.
It's popular with health nuts (I've only been able to find them at a health food store in town) because it works without having to put chemicals or flushing water in the ear. You probably won't find them at a chain store like GNC though. You can call and ask them but I know the one here in town doesn't have them. And you'd be surprised by how well they work. I always get a plug of wax about the size of the end of my pinky finger.

That sounds incredibly dangerous! ohmy.gif

Archived