Netflix

neilpeart_gal

I just started my trial membership. I think I'm going to enjoy it. Wondered if anyone there uses their 'friends' list to help them pick movies. I only know one person right now who is using it so I have no friends. laugh.gif

Anyway just curious if this is worth keeping past the trial period. smile.gif

QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Jan 27 2005, 08:04 AM)
Yeah, that's the only thing I'm wondering about. But I've been wanting to catch up on movies so I think I can handle it. Good thing is there's no cancellation fee if I decide to drop it. smile.gif

Very true. Give it a shot, let us know what you think! trink39.gif

Watched my first Netflix film last night, "Pirates of the Carribean" (yes I'm the last person on earth who had not seen it). The DVD skipped in a few places so I think I missed some plot points. That kind of sucks. If they all do that, I will probably cancel. Otherwise I'm willing to let it slide on one every so often.

We use our Netflix constantly - - on the "five at a time plan"! The nifty thing about Netflix, rather than the local stores, aside from convenience, is that soooooo many more options are available. We've seen foreign and older films that no one stocks locally. We rented political documentaries, as well as other non-fiction dvd's. We've also rented rock shows of bands we'd like to see before we commit to purchasing a CD (saved some money there!).

There is never any pressure to view the dvd's on any certain night. Given family issues, we never know when an "emergency" will change our plans. Also, we don't feel as guilty about renting a movie, and giving up on it if the quality is poor. We replace it quickly and don't feel like we've wasted as much as the old $4 charge (plus fees!).

Bottom line: With Netflix we always have a couple of movies waiting for us at home, we've seen hundreds of movies in every genre and we've saved a huge chunk of change!!!

Make sure that you "rate" the movies that you've watched. The website will make recommendations based upon your preferences - - it's pretty interesting what pops up!

Enjoy!!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 18 2007, 03:17 PM)
We use our Netflix constantly - - on the "five at a time plan"!  The nifty thing about Netflix, rather than the local stores, aside from convenience, is that soooooo many more options are available.  We've seen foreign and older films that no one stocks locally.  We rented political documentaries, as well as other non-fiction dvd's.  We've also rented rock shows of bands we'd like to see before we commit to purchasing a CD (saved some money there!).

There is never any pressure to view the dvd's on any certain night.  Given family issues, we never know when an "emergency" will change our plans.  Also, we don't feel as guilty about renting a movie, and giving up on it if the quality is poor.  We replace it quickly and don't feel like we've wasted as much as the old $4 charge (plus fees!).

Bottom line:  With Netflix we always have a couple of movies waiting for us at home, we've seen hundreds of movies in every genre and we've saved a huge chunk of change!!!

Make sure that you "rate" the movies that you've watched.  The website will make recommendations based upon your preferences - - it's pretty interesting what pops up!

Enjoy!!! biggrin.gif

You could have just said yes. laugh.gif wink.gif

Seriously, i use Netflix, infact i have a movie at home im planning to watch this evening. "The history of 13th century cheese." yes.gif

just kidding, im watching Frankenstien, adapted from the Dean Koontz novel. AlienSmiley.gif

Edited by tick

Sorry for the (very old) bump...

But I finally signed up for this.... I have the first month free, and I have a few movies and concerts in my queue, and since I have a ps3, I am enjoying the hell out of streaming

Just got done watching Cheech and Chong's next movie, and the first episode of SNL

Yeah I was going to say nobody really mentioned the streaming and it is very convenient. You can do it on the Xbox, Wii, PS3 and new AppleTV! Some new Bluray players allow you to stream and some TV's even have a wifi connection to allow this also!

Only downside to Netflix is the catalog is too thin IMHO. I'd like to see more stuff in there.

We've had it for about a year now, the one out plan. We watch a movie every week, so for $2.50 a move I think it's a decent deal.

Yeah, the streaming catalog is pretty thin, but It's nice to catch up on some old TV shows smile.gif

I LOOOOVEEEE Netflix. I don't even watch TV anymore due to the instant streaming function on my Xbox. I have watched entire series all the way through at least twice due to Netflix. It's how I got into The Office, Parks And Recreation and Dexter. It also helped me find old cartoons from my childhood; gave me a good whiff of nostalgia.

So yeah, Netflix is worth every penny. yes.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Feb 14 2011, 11:22 AM)

Yeah, the streaming catalog is pretty thin, but It's nice to catch up on some old TV shows smile.gif

It sure is thin & outdated for the most part, and dvd "new" releases tend to lag behind other sources to get them, like pay per view. However do enjoy digging deep in there archives find stuff haven't seen in years.

btw just read a article netflix stated that there direct streaming is now outselling the dvd rental service. They recently raised rates hope that goes along with getting new releases sooner... wink.gif

Netflix recently decided it would be a good idea to strike a deal with Warner Brothers that involved delaying all new Warner Brothers releases by 28 days. Film industry executives somehow believe this strategy is going to help them sell more DVDs, though as we've been discussing, the deal as designed seems just as likely to confuse the hell out of consumers as it tries (and fails) to prop up less innovative companies. Why would Netflix agree to such a deal? It was the only way they could get Hollywood to loosen their vice-like licensing grip on the number of titles they allow Netflix to stream via broadband.