Gas prices are killing me !

Tick

The wife and I just bought a new Chevy Tahoe. 14 miles per gallon, and it only cost between $75 - $80 to fill it up! ohmy.gif

My Grand Prix GXP isn't much better, but at least that gets 17 MPG.

I hope the dollar starts to recover soon. That will help gas prices.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time I filled up, gas was $3.14 a gallon. I have a Saturn SL-2, and it takes about $28-30 to fill it up.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 8 2008, 12:32 PM)
The last time I filled up, gas was $3.14 a gallon. I have a Saturn SL-2, and it takes about $28-30 to fill it up.

I drive a diesel and for some stupid reason that has never been adequately explained to me, it's now $.80 more than regular gasoline. When I bought it in 1999, diesel was $.20-$.30 LESS than regular. It was $0.99 a gallon in 1999. Now it's $4.10!

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 8 2008, 12:00 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 8 2008, 10:43 AM)
Who out there uses oil heat in their homes? Heating oil prices have risen just like gasoline has. I have a 200 gallon tank in my basement, and during the winter it needs to be filled about once every two months. It used to cost about $300 to fill it. Last week's fill-up cost almost $700. The previous one in January cost $590.

And you never know when your tank is going to be filled -- they fill it when they think you need it -- so seeing those bills in the mailbox is always a nice surprise.

And natural gas heat has gone way up, too. Those customers are also getting slammed with exorbitantly high heating bills.

Think about the older people on fixed incomes who have to heat their homes in the winter. How are they affording to live when energy prices have more than doubled? How do they cope with a $700 heating oil bill that was half that only a couple of years ago?

Oh man 1001, i forgot to mention home heating oil. sad.gif (how the hell did i forget that !) I locked in at 2.59 a gallon this season which sucks ass but i know some people who are paying over 3.00 a gallon because they did not bother to lock in a price.

How or why i stared this thread, i have no idea, its depressing laugh.gif but maybe a little theraputic as well.

With the price of oil this season being what it is, i keep my house at 66 degrees while im home during my waking hours,(which is far colder then i would like it) and 62 degrees at night when we go to bed.(which is actually fine with me) If i had my way the heat would be on 70 while im awake, in the heart of the winter, but its just too expensive to justify that so i always a little less comfortable then i would like to be, but thats life.

I am one who has oil heat. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what size tank i have in the basement, but we have set up to call the company to fill up the tank when we need it filled...

We have the tank filled twice a year. In the fall, and usually in late february/ early march. We last had the tank filled on 3/18/08. We only put in 100 gallons @ 3.79 a gallon.

No clue you could lock in to a set $. I may have to look into that this fall when it will be time to fill it again. We also have the thermostat programmed so the temperature is lower at night and during the day when no one is home.

I paid $3.45 a gallon today to fill up my vehicle. altho, i didn't fill it, just filled to a half tank today. If i hadn't HAD to fill it up, then i would have drove around a bit to find a cheaper gas station. I didn't have a choice today...

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Apr 8 2008, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 8 2008, 12:32 PM)
The last time I filled up, gas was $3.14 a gallon.  I have a Saturn SL-2, and it takes about $28-30 to fill it up.

I drive a diesel and for some stupid reason that has never been adequately explained to me, it's now $.80 more than regular gasoline. When I bought it in 1999, diesel was $.20-$.30 LESS than regular. It was $0.99 a gallon in 1999. Now it's $4.10!

And diesel fuel doesn't need to be refined as much as regular gasoline, so the high price of diesel makes even less sense.

I chalk it up to supply and demand.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Apr 8 2008, 03:36 PM)

...fine...but provide decent public transport at decent prices and where you can actually get from place to place easily.

Amen to THAT brother...

I personally never fill up my tank anymore. I just get $10, or usually $15 worth at a time. Of course I have to get gas a lot more often, but at least it gives me the illusion of not spending as much at one time. eh.gif

Thankfully, I work only 4 miles from home and the days I drive my wife to and from work, it's about an extra 4 miles each way, so all in all it's not that bad. Still, just driving around town and doing a once-weekly trip to a bigger town 12 miles away adds up. I know it's not nearly as bad as some people have with major commutes, and I know it's nowhere near as bad as the UK, but it still sucks.

The worst thing is, like Tick mentions in his initial post, is an extreme reluctance to go on day trips or long trips. My family lives 400 miles away, and that's a lot of money in gas to visit them. Even going 40/50 miles, not to mention 100 miles for a day trip seems excessive. There are so many more places I would go if it wasn't so expensive... sad.gif

Edited by rushgoober

Rickyrob hit the nail on the head with the British system. He basically said what I said but in a shorter way laugh.gif

Tax is mad on our fuel in this country... In fact for every litre you paid for going into your car 70% of that was tax.. and this was in 2005!

God knows what it's like now smile.gif... And fuel has gone up even more smile.gif.

I have to work for 20 more years to get my full pension.

I drive 60 miles a day and I drive JEEPS which is starting to suck.

At $3.00 a gallon I was putting in about $100 a week, whcih translates to $ 5,200 a year on gas.

$5200 x 20 = + $100,000 UP IN SMOKE.

everyone who reads this should do the math to see OVER YOUR LIFETIME what you'll spend.

I'd look for a high fuel economy car but the jeeps are paid for.

Fortunately, I drive a company car and have no car payments since the wardens car is paid for, But it costs $45.00 to fill hers up and it lasts about 2 weeks. I probably put about $60.00 - 80.00 per week in my car.

The gas still hits me in the fact that every car we sell leaves with a full tank of fuel, and that gets charged to my department.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Apr 8 2008, 03:57 PM)
I have to work for 20 more years to get my full pension.
I drive 60 miles a day and I drive JEEPS which is starting to suck.
At $3.00 a gallon I was putting in about $100 a week, whcih translates to $ 5,200 a year on gas.
$5200 x 20 = + $100,000 UP IN SMOKE.

everyone who reads this should do the math to see OVER YOUR LIFETIME what you'll spend.

I'd look for a high fuel economy car but the jeeps are paid for.

At least daveyt can afford it. eyesre4.gif moon.gif

I drive 15 miles each way and so does my wife every day to work. I did get rid of the SUV in november 2006 so at least I have a fuel efficient car. I need something larger to haul bicycles and kayaks and may actually buy a third car that I only use for that purpose so it doesn;t kill me on gas. Thinking about a used Wrangler.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 8 2008, 09:12 AM)
$3.15 per gallon. Not too bad, considering.

3.12 where i am. (Utah)

I guess we're the lucky ones at the moment!

we're all still getting screwed!!

QUOTE (the invisible man @ Apr 8 2008, 10:25 AM)
QUOTE (daveyt @ Apr 8 2008, 12:05 PM)
$3.70 over here. but i can afford it  yes.gif

Oh yee of foolish jest, thou art wisdom fails thee. ph34r.gif

duuuuumb! i responded to the first post and only later later did i read about (people's) conseqeunces! eh.gif

Edited by daveyt

My Neurologist has my drivers license because of my Epilepsy and I won't be getting it back for 6 months so I can't drive. Not being able to drive sux, but maybe it's a blessing in disguise that I can't.

QUOTE (blonde77th @ Apr 9 2008, 02:00 PM)
Coming to my daughters this morning and passing a gas station I almost had heart failure $114.7 a Liter  ohmy.gif

$114.7???

That's really a dollar and .147 cents right? unsure.gif

Edited by Mrs. Huck Rogers

I drive 32 miles one way to work. My car gets 25 mpg if I keep my foot out of it. Gas is $3.46 in McMinnville, and $3.35 in Canby. I prefer to fill up in Canby. I can't wait to be able to commute my motorcycle to work.

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Apr 9 2008, 10:29 AM)
Coming to my daughters this morning and passing a gas station I almost had heart failure $114.7 a Liter  ohmy.gif

$114.7???

I wish it's somewhere around $4.50 or a bit more a Gallon wacko.gif

QUOTE (blonde77th @ Apr 9 2008, 02:33 PM)

$114.7???

so there's like 4.56 litres to a gallon right?

So it must be $1.147/litre

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Apr 9 2008, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (blonde77th @ Apr 9 2008, 02:33 PM)

$114.7???

so there's like 4.56 litres to a gallon right?

So it must be $1.147/litre

I am old school never learned the Litre Sh*t smile.gif

Edited by blonde77th