Why not lynyrd skynyrd

roni_kinshin

QUOTE (Huck @ Mar 11 2008, 06:03 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 11 2008, 11:00 PM)
QUOTE (Huck @ Mar 11 2008, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 11 2008, 10:51 PM)
QUOTE (Huck @ Mar 11 2008, 05:47 PM)
QUOTE (rushbass @ Mar 11 2008, 10:44 PM)
Oh, and here's a little trivia for all ya'll...

I used to roadie for Skynyrd many years ago (back in my younger, long-haired days)!  ohmy.gif  biggrin.gif

ohmy.gif How cool is that notworthy.gif

I demand stories yes.gif

I'm going to the store right now and getting me some snuff. I'm gonna take a huge dip and listen to Sweet Home Alabama. I might even work on an alter. I bow to you chief. That is cool.

My Dad used to work the spotlight for the Stone City Attraction tours in the '70's. He worked Led Zep, The Who, Alice Cooper, etc etc etc......

His normal work was as an engineer but he was able to run the spot light for rock shows. I have tons of stories.

Hey why not start a new thread with these, it would be cool! yes.gif

It would trip you out. Ever heard of Billy Martin? He used to hang with my Dad when he was in town. He even stayed the night and ate breakfast with my family one day. He just wanted to be in a normal place. I suppose managing the Yankees wore on him. He really liked my dad. And the weird thing is that my dad was a quiet man. I have SO many stories.

Not heard of him sorry, I'm not into baseball, but I'd like to hear those stories. smile.gif

Google Billy Martin and check out his story. He was extremely important for MLB. You'll be impressed. He was one crazy son um bitch I will admit. But he was nice to my family.

QUOTE (Huck @ Mar 11 2008, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 11 2008, 10:21 PM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Mar 11 2008, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 11 2008, 02:56 PM)
good band, cant hold a candle to the allman brother's

I agree !

I'll triple that. The Allman Brothers are one of the best bands that I've seen. A top five for sure.

Interesting, I was thinking of buying At Fillmore East, any good or would you recommend something else you guys?

Buy it.

QUOTE (tupelobarchetta @ Mar 11 2008, 06:50 PM)
QUOTE (Huck @ Mar 11 2008, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 11 2008, 10:21 PM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Mar 11 2008, 05:20 PM)

I agree !

I'll triple that. The Allman Brothers are one of the best bands that I've seen. A top five for sure.

Interesting, I was thinking of buying At Fillmore East, any good or would you recommend something else you guys?

Buy it.

Yeah, the fillmore show is awesome but I take will Skynyrd over the Allmans anyday. Just my personal preference as I prefer skynyrds music and most certainly skynyrds lyrics over the bros. , two great bands though.

The times I have seen Skynyrd they were nothing more than One more from the road, pretty much note for note, whistle for whistle and holler for holler.

I gotta say the last time I saw the Allmans ( at Red Rocks ) was one of the most disappointing shows I have ever seen. It must of been the early 90's and I am not sure if it was an off night or what.

Now, who here has heard Charlie Daniels Band, Nightrider or Fire on the mountain discs??

Edited by tangdog

Been listening to Gimme Back My Bullets this morning while working.

What a great ablum and perhaps the the truest "line" ever written can be found in Roll Gypsy Roll.

"Made lots of money, just how much well I don't know, but most the money I done stuck up my nose"

Think I will dig out my copy of Nuthin' Fancy next.

Skynyrd rocks.

I would never compare them to Rush but I like them, The Outlaws, and Molly Hatchet. Skynyrd is the best of the genre though (I don't really see the Allman's as "Southern Rock").

I saw them about 22 years ago with Johnny on vocals. He sounds a lot like him but totally different presence. During Freebird they put one of Ronnie's old hats on a mic. They darkened out the entire arena except for the mic and put a spot on it. The crowd sang lead vocals. Pretty awesome spectacle.

QUOTE (PloKoon13 @ Mar 19 2008, 05:06 AM)

Agreed.

But Rush completely destroy both of them.

apples and oranges my friend trink39.gif

• Like 1

I prefer the Allman Brothers Band too, I only have Brothers And Sisters and Eat A Peach (damn that album is good !). While I wouldn't go as far as calling myself a fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd, I like their music. I only have their first 2 albums.

Edited by Tuesday's Gone

Per FM Radio : Skynyrd is the KING of Southern Rock

Per ANYONE who knows music : Molly Hatchet is the most talented Southern Rock band

Almanac brothers, skynyrd, Molly hatchet, outlaws, Blackfoot. I like southern rock at the appropriate time.

Although almanac brothers has an interesting sound, it's a nasty auto correct to the allman boys.

Per FM Radio : Skynyrd is the KING of Southern Rock

Per ANYONE who knows music : Molly Hatchet is the most talented Southern Rock band

Talent doesn't always lead to good music. The Ballad Of Curtis Loew is an oft overlooked gem, imo, but I like most of Skynyrd. Too bad the band died in 1977.

Edited by Fordgalaxy

On what basis exactly is Molly Hatchet the most "talented" southern band ?

Musicianship ? Songwriting ?

Either way Blackfoot up to including the 1982 Highway Song live album is the most enjoyable as far as I'm concerned. I saw them on the tour they recorded it, one of the "Scotland rock and roll maniacs" as medlocke puts it on the album. They were quite a phenom in the UK for a few years in the early 80s, a killer support slot on the Scorpions tour followed almost immediately by headlining tours of their own. Much the same way Skynyrd conquered the UK a few years earlier with a support slot on a Golden Earring tour. Skynyrd died with the plane crash. Blackfoot died with record company interference, their last good studio album being Marauder.

Skynyrd has a ton of great songs. Not sure why I don't own any.

I answered my own question tonight while cleaning my mother in law's pool. The Allman Bros came on and the songs were so good. When a Skynyrd song comes on yhe radio, I'll listen, but if I am in the mood for Southern rock, there's not a Skynyrd song that beats Jessica, Ramblin Man, Midnight Rider...

Skynyrd is one of my all time fav bands. I do like the Allmans too, Hatchet and Blackfoot and such, but Skynyrd has that "something" in them. My long time dream came true in 2009, when I got to see them live in Finland, not far from my hometown. The gig was superb, Molly Hatchet was supporting and back at the hotel bar I got to meet Dave Hlubek. He was very friendly and funny, we talked for half an hour or so and he told me stories of their youth back in Jacksonville. When he and Gary Rossington were selling hot dogs on the streets to get money to buy guitar strings and so on...

There is always a place in my heart for good ol' down-to-earth southern rock!