Vapor Trails vs. S&A

Analogkid1123

I see so many people say VT is better than S&A and i cant understand this.Which is your fav?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. I see so many people say VT is better than S&A and i cant understand this.Which is your fav?

• Snakes and Arrows
    • Vapor Trails

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Nov 29 2011, 11:56 AM)
S&A gets my vote. Armor & Sword alone crushes everything on VT and I do like VT quite a bit to.

Secret Touch blows away Armour And Sword!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 29 2011, 11:59 AM)
S&A gets my vote. Armor & Sword alone crushes everything on VT and I do like VT quite a bit to.

no.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 29 2011, 10:59 AM)

totally agree

I like both albums...but let's be honest, production-wise, S&A wins in a landslide. Then comes the songwriting, which I also believe is better on S&A.

Now, I am not necessarily a fan of all the lyrical content on S&A, but all that aside, I still find myself enjoying the songs alot more. If I was to rank my favourite Rush songs top to bottom, I am guessing that alot more of the S&A songs would end up ranking higher than VT songs.

Lastly, to this very day, S&A still gets way more rotation in my stereo than VT does. Like, ALOT more.

My stance still very much remains the same:

S&A > VT

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 29 2011, 11:14 AM)
I like both albums...but let's be honest, production-wise, S&A wins in a landslide. Then comes the songwriting, which I also believe is better on S&A.

Now, I am not necessarily a fan of all the lyrical content on S&A, but all that aside, I still find myself enjoying the songs alot more. If I was to rank my favourite Rush songs top to bottom, I am guessing that alot more of the S&A songs would end up ranking higher than VT songs.

Lastly, to this very day, S&A still gets way more rotation in my stereo than VT does. Like, ALOT more.

S&A > VT

I can learn to live with bad production when I like the songs better, i.e. see Black Sabbath Vol 4

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Nov 29 2011, 12:20 PM)

S&A > VT

I can learn to live with bad production when I like the songs better, i.e. see Black Sabbath Vol 4

Agreed. The production thing is obvious so I don't even really count it any more.

I am stoked about getting a full remixed version of Vapor Trails, and if done right, I believe it could climb higher on my list. The remix of OLV was a true step in the right direction for me...I love it so much more now.

With that said though, a great remix of VT won't be enough to put it ahead of S&A in my book. I just like S&A THAT much better.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 29 2011, 12:28 PM)

S&A > VT

Agreed. The production thing is obvious so I don't even really count it any more.

I am stoked about getting a full remixed version of Vapor Trails, and if done right, I believe it could climb higher on my list. The remix of OLV was a true step in the right direction for me...I love it so much more now.

With that said though, a great remix of VT won't be enough to put it ahead of S&A in my book. I just like S&A THAT much better.

I don't think it will do it for me. The music should be stripped down more, especially the guitar. I also don't care for the melodies that much. The only two stand out songs for me on VT would be OLV and How It Is. Secret Touch is decent.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Nov 29 2011, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 29 2011, 12:28 PM)

S&A > VT

I don't think it will do it for me. The music should be stripped down more, especially the guitar. I also don't care for the melodies that much. The only two stand out songs for me on VT would be OLV and How It Is. Secret Touch is decent.

out of the 13 songs on this record there are like 4 I tend to skip. beyond that I love this record.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 29 2011, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Nov 29 2011, 08:56 AM)
Armor & Sword alone crushes everything on VT

It's better than everything on VT put together.

totally disagree

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Nov 29 2011, 11:50 AM)

totally disagree

I disagree as well. A&S is a good song, and I like it well enough, but I just don't get why so many fans fawn over it. I also like S&A a lot but for the reasons I stated earlier (songwriting, lyrics, overall album feel/mood/emotion), I'll take VT.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Nov 29 2011, 01:00 PM)

totally disagree

I disagree as well. A&S is a good song, and I like it well enough, but I just don't get why so many fans fawn over it. I also like S&A a lot but for the reasons I stated earlier (songwriting, lyrics, overall album feel/mood/emotion), I'll take VT.

The only issue I can truly say I have with Armor & Sword is that it's quite depressing. The mood of the song just keeps you in a downer throughout. I know my wife always says that when it comes on.

With that said, I still think that it's a fantastic song. It's built really well, and it displays their songwriting skills. The mood and tempo of the music match perfectly with the lyrical content throughout. I love Al's tone in the song, and even more so, I love those little notes that he plays in the last 40 seconds or so of the song while Ged repeats the chorus.

Chilling, but great! 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 29 2011, 12:48 PM)

Goobs, Snakes And Arrows is to me what Vapor Trails is to you. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 29 2011, 01:07 PM)

totally disagree

The only issue I can truly say I have with Armor & Sword is that it's quite depressing. The mood of the song just keeps you in a downer throughout. I know my wife always says that when it comes on.

With that said, I still think that it's a fantastic song. It's built really well, and it displays their songwriting skills. The mood and tempo of the music match perfectly with the lyrical content throughout. I love Al's tone in the song, and even more so, I love those little notes that he plays in the last 40 seconds or so of the song while Ged repeats the chorus.

The only thing I dislike about S&A, would be Neil's input of Atheistic practice. However, due to the state of the World, post-911 and the War on Terrorist Islam, commentary on the hypocrisy, real or assumed towards religion, is very fitting, albeit, dated. Musically, I think this is one of the best Alex has ever created. I do feel the bass and drums are OK, but nothing really memorable. VT has very little redeemable from any of the 3, IMO. Lyrically, it is simply OK and at times, trivial. S&A is always a start to finish listen. VT not so much. It just starts grating on me because many songs sonically sound the same.

One Little Victory crushes all of S&A put together.

yes.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 29 2011, 04:27 PM)

yes.gif

rofl3.gif

I like both but voted for Vapour Trails. It just seems more powerful and emotional to me. S&A is a great album but more laid back.

Faithless is on my list of six, however, when I heard it live both in Birmingham and on the DVD I found I like it much better.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Nov 29 2011, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 29 2011, 01:07 PM)

totally disagree

The only thing I dislike about S&A, would be Neil's input of Atheistic practice. However, due to the state of the World, post-911 and the War on Terrorist Islam, commentary on the hypocrisy, real or assumed towards religion, is very fitting, albeit, dated. Musically, I think this is one of the best Alex has ever created. I do feel the bass and drums are OK, but nothing really memorable. VT has very little redeemable from any of the 3, IMO. Lyrically, it is simply OK and at times, trivial. S&A is always a start to finish listen. VT not so much. It just starts grating on me because many songs sonically sound the same.

I like VT's lyrics because they are for the most part very personal and honest. Neil's tragedy spurned some good writing for a change.

To me, S & A has too many of the same old humanist/agnostic diatribes. Anthem & Freewill redux. We get it already, Neil. Much of the music was very good though, and the production stellar!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 29 2011, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 29 2011, 04:27 PM)

yes.gif

rofl3.gif

eyesre4.gif

no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 9 2008, 01:39 PM)
S&A - one of their best albums ever, and easily their best since the 80's.

VT - their worst album ever.  an embarrassing chapter in the rush legacy.

rushgoober, buddy...I agree with you on the RRHOF thing and you say something crazy like this?

VT one of the worst? Are you kidding? To say it's not as good as S&A is one thing but worst ever? Embarrassing?

Peaceable Kingdom

One Little Victory

Vapor Trails

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Ghost Rider

I love those 6 songs. You're telling me those songs are some of the worst ever?

Give me some of what your smoking cool10.gif

Edited to say...nevermind....keep what you are smoking! wink.gif

Edited by Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 29 2011, 10:07 AM)

totally disagree

See, now I find it a very uplifting song. It's heavy, no doubt (although for some people who complain about S&A, heavy = fast, i think it's plenty heavy at the speed it's at), but that line of "no one gets to their heaven without a fight" just devastates me... in a good way. Seriously, the song is a masterpiece. i never thought they would have had it in them at this late date. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 29 2011, 11:13 PM)

totally disagree

See, now I find it a very uplifting song. It's heavy, no doubt (although for some people who complain about S&A, heavy = fast, i think it's plenty heavy at the speed it's at), but that line of "no one gets to their heaven without a fight" just devastates me... in a good way. Seriously, the song is a masterpiece. i never thought they would have had it in them at this late date. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Unbelievable...you posted your nonsense at the same minute as my nonsense. Look above your last post. I think you're Losing It. Again! And no lyric quoting on this craziness!

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 29 2011, 11:17 PM)

totally disagree

Unbelievable...you posted your nonsense at the same minute as my nonsense. Look above your last post. I think you're Losing It. Again! And no lyric quoting on this craziness!

"Armor & Sword" is a power chord masterpiece.

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 29 2011, 09:17 PM)

totally disagree

confused13.gif

I calls 'em like I sees 'em. wink.gif