did neil have money problems??

reani14

I read somewher eon here i think, that neil states in his ghost rider book of money problems? can anyone confirm this? how could he have had money problems, by 1997 /98 iam sure he had made quite alot of money by that time.. millions..

QUOTE (reani14 @ Jan 30 2008, 07:48 PM)
I read somewher eon here i think, that neil states in his ghost rider book of money problems? can anyone confirm this? how could he have had money problems, by 1997 /98 iam sure he had made quite alot of money by that time.. millions..

I would have to look for it in my copy, but I don't think he necessarily had money problems, but he went on his long motorcycle ride after the tragedy and the person who handles his money and business expressed some concern that he was spending alot. I imagine that when you go on hiatus from touring and selling albums it is like being retired, if you spend alot and are not bringing as much in, then you will see your accounts shrink. I would hope he is well invested. I know he gets royalties from album sales, but that probably is not that much unless selling tons of new ones.

I think this is an assinine question and i am loathe to even dignify it with an answer.

That said, i'll make a semi related comment.

i think ALL artists have felt a pinch in earnings from the new paradigm of the music industry and all the peer sharing.

Rush hasnt sold well in records since counterparts.

Its not them, its just all the illegal burnings and copying and peer sharing.

I would bet that Rush members and other bands would all voice an angry opinion in the right forum on this topic.

At least Rush had 30 years of earnings before this shit started happening. Think of bands that are trying to get started Today!

thats why there are so few new commercial acts. there is no proprietaryness of album sales.

Indirectly, the poor record sales make bands sell more live albums, greatest hits, and TOUR more to make up the lost revenues. So hence, we all benefit in a malevolent way.

Rush does a Tour leg 2 and a live album.

dont think there isnt a side of them that is sore by all this.

Also, I believe that when Brutus encountered legal troubles, Neil helped Brutus out financially, as well as Brutus's family. This, coupled with financing his own journey, surely could diminish anyones funds. Now, to what extent Neil's funds were diminished by all of this, I don't think he really makes clear. Regardless, his funds became pinched enough for him to feel compelled to seek some "gainful employment," as he says. Lucky for us. 2.gif

QUOTE (ShaniaFanAlso @ Jan 30 2008, 09:45 PM)
I think this is an assinine question and i am loathe to even dignify it with an answer.

That said, i'll make a semi related comment.

i think ALL artists have felt a pinch in earnings from the new paradigm of the music industry and all the peer sharing.

I would bet that Rush members and other bands would all voice an angry opinion in the right forum on this topic.

At least Rush had 30 years of earnings before this shit started happening. Think of bands that are trying to get started Today!

thats why there are so few new commercial acts. there is no proprietaryness of album sales.

Indirectly, the poor record sales make bands sell more live albums, greatest hits, and TOUR more to make up the lost revenues. So hence, we all benefit in a malevolent way.

i don't think it's assinine to ask a question . some people don't know everything about the band. some people have not read the book's and are not sure. wink.gif

All it meant in Ghost Rider was that he was, at that point, spending more then he was taking in. He was on the road, helping Brutus, and "unemployed" He was just refering to his day to day expenses. He mentioned he still had his "nest egg"

QUOTE (peartsbeemer @ Jan 30 2008, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (reani14 @ Jan 30 2008, 07:48 PM)

I would have to look for it in my copy, but I don't think he necessarily had money problems, but he went on his long motorcycle ride after the tragedy and the person who handles his money and business expressed some concern that he was spending alot. I imagine that when you go on hiatus from touring and selling albums it is like being retired, if you spend alot and are not bringing as much in, then you will see your accounts shrink. I would hope he is well invested. I know he gets royalties from album sales, but that probably is not that much unless selling tons of new ones.

I REMEMBER READING THE SAME IN GHOST RIDER. I THINK HIS ADVISORS WERE JUST A LITTLE CONCERNED. NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT UNLESS HE REALLY WENT OFF THE DEEPER END.

I AM QUITE CONFIDENT IN SAYING NEIL HAS BEEN VERY SMART WITH HIS MONEY. yes.gif

NONE OF THE THREE STRIKE ME AS SOMEONE WHO JUST SPENDS, SPENDS, SPENDS! no.gif

QUOTE (reani14 @ Jan 30 2008, 06:48 PM)

there's your answer smile.gif

If you read closer, you will see that what Neil was saying was that at that time, he dodn't have enough saved up to retire completely, AND maintain his lifestyle WITHOUT selling off the band's infrastructure. Hence his reference to the discussions he had with Geddy and Al on this matter.

Lucky for us, it didn't work out that way.....

Peace,

Ron

The answer lies in the legal paperwork that was submitted to the court when Alex was suing the neocon Cops in Florida. That showed Rush's 2005 (i think ) earnings. It was in the order of 17 million if my memory serves me correctly. As for each members personal wealth all he says in his books is that he was spending more than he earnt and that he was spending 7 times his earnings. (if my memory serves me correctly). I think the paperwork showed each member getting 2 or 3 million.

As for being smart with his money he did mention that he had used a creative financial guy who lost him a lot of money. Not so smart.

Neil, amigo, if you need some cash gimme a call.

I got your back.

I would like to see that.

I'm sure their lifetime profits (after paying all band related expenses) is a ludacrus amount of cash.

Millions and millions and millions. Look at their sales - multiplatiun records?

More cash than they know what to do with...

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 31 2008, 08:53 AM)

That said,  i'll make a semi related comment.

At least Rush had 30 years of earnings before this shit started happening.  Think of bands that are trying to get started Today! 

thats why there are so few new commercial acts.  there is no proprietaryness of album sales.

Indirectly, the poor record sales make bands sell more live albums, greatest hits, and TOUR more to make up the lost revenues.  So hence, we all benefit in a malevolent way.

i don't think it's assinine to ask a question . some people don't know everything about the band. some people have not read the book's and are not sure. wink.gif

I agree with you as usual Metaldad, of course I'm a Metaldad of two boys myself. What is truly 'assinine' is spending time answering a question you find so absurd! Move on for heavens sake. There are hundreds of topics available.

I admit, I occasionally wonder about what it must be like to be Neil, Geddy or Alex. Are they "rich" rock stars or upper class musicians? I know it's none of my damn business but hey, I'm human!

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Feb 1 2008, 02:48 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 31 2008, 08:53 AM)

That said,  i'll make a semi related comment.

At least Rush had 30 years of earnings before this shit started happening.  Think of bands that are trying to get started Today! 

thats why there are so few new commercial acts.  there is no proprietaryness of album sales.

Indirectly, the poor record sales make bands sell more live albums, greatest hits, and TOUR more to make up the lost revenues.  So hence, we all benefit in a malevolent way.

I agree with you as usual Metaldad, of course I'm a Metaldad of two boys myself. What is truly 'assinine' is spending time answering a question you find so absurd! Move on for heavens sake. There are hundreds of topics available.

I admit, I occasionally wonder about what it must be like to be Neil, Geddy or Alex. Are they "rich" rock stars or upper class musicians? I know it's none of my damn business but hey, I'm human!

amen brother trink39.gif

Neil Peart strapped for cash?

Ha!

Ya right.

QUOTE (Screvato @ Feb 2 2008, 07:53 AM)
Who cares, really. Neil's financial situation is none of our business.

if he didn't want us to know about it he wouldn't have published it. he was being honest and it is a matter open to discussion.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Feb 2 2008, 11:23 AM)
Who cares, really.  Neil's financial situation is none of our business.

if he didn't want us to know about it he wouldn't have published it. he was being honest and it is a matter open to discussion.

maybe i should take a scenic road trip ala neil this tour...but I love cruisin down/up the I-5 in central cali with the golden hills and the cali sun just the same ********'s yes.gif

NICE

QUOTE (daveyt @ Feb 2 2008, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Feb 2 2008, 11:23 AM)
Who cares, really.  Neil's financial situation is none of our business.

maybe i should take a scenic road trip ala neil this tour...but I love cruisin down/up the I-5 in central cali with the golden hills and the cali sun just the same ********'s yes.gif

NICE

when you get back make sure you give us an update on the various cacti and birds you see. wink.gif

Archived