They BLEW it!!

Slime

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 4 2008, 08:58 PM)
The New York Yankees in the 2004 American League Championship Series. How can you be 3 games up to none and lose the series? I still feel sick in the stomach to this day. angry.gif

bncegrn.gif

I have to nominate my hometown hero Sage Rosenfels for single handedly giving a game back to the Colts that the Texans had already won earlier this season. He did this by turning the ball over three times in the last four minutes of the game. Unbelieveable.

Maybe someone posted this one already but in the 1981/82 NHL the Edmonton Oilers had firmly established themselves as an upstart NHL powerhouse coming off the season with 111 points.

Lead by future hall of famers Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Paul Coffey, Glenn Anderson and Grant Fuhr, the Oilers were expected to waltz through the Smythe Division and Campbell Conference en route to their first ever Stanley Cup final.

However in game three of the preliminary round vs. the LA Kings, the Oilers held a commanding 5-0 lead going into the 3rd period. From there the Oiler's season would fall apart right before their eyes as they watched the Kings score five unanswered goals in the 3rd period to tie the game at five.

The Kings would go on to score in overtime and eventually win the series 3-2 resulting in one of the biggest upsets in Stanley Cup play-off history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_World_Series#Composite_box

In the 1960 World Series, the Yankees outscored the Pirates, 55 runs to 27... and still lost the series in seven games!

When the Yanks won, they won by large margins, whereas the Pirate wins were decided by 1-3 runs.

Hard to say the Yanks "blew it," though. But as Mickey Mantle, who cried on the plane ride home, would say: the better team lost.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 8 2008, 11:39 PM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jan 8 2008, 11:09 PM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Jan 8 2008, 03:23 AM)
1987 AFC championship
Denver vs Cleveland 
Cleveland Stadium
"The Drive" John Elway 98 yards of misery still to painful.. sad.gif
Broncos 23
Browns 20 O.T.

Was that when byner fumbled on the 2? That was a heartbreaking loss.

No that was the year after...The Browns and Broncos met in AFC Championship game 2 years in a row...first one was The Drive where Elway engineered a 98 yard drive in last few minutes to score and force game to OT... and 2nd one The Fumble (which you are referring to)

People forget probably for good reason, because it wasn't as memorable as the other two AFC championship meetings between the two, but Denver and Cleveland met one last time in Championship game 1990. "The unnamed one" Broncos won 37-21.

I hate to say it, but...

Since we all want the recent, I'll say Nebraska vs. Texas, 2010.

Too much hype, too much pressure, and NU was just plain messy. T-Magic lost his magic, the defense couldn't hold back an equally sloppy Longhorn offense, and basically it was painful to listen to on the radio (I didn't get to see this one).

Fumbles were all over the place.

Even when NU would get in the Red Zone, they wouldn't get it in.

Alex Henery (punter and field goal kicker) was the saving grace.. but not saving enough.

The final score was 20 -13, UT.

And everyone in Memorial Stadium died a little,

and Husker Nation vowed to never wear their "0:01" wristband again.

And this, my friends, is what happens when you obsess over a game and shout for revenge for 10 months: It comes back to bite you in the rear.

NU - OU game (halftime right now) the QB, Taylor Martinez, threw the ball straight for the endzone... and right into an Oklahoma's hands! Ridiculous.

The Bengals jumping offside with 30 seconds to go on fourth and two up three with the Saints obviously just trying to draw them offside has to be way up there...no wonder they're 2-10.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Dec 5 2010, 04:27 PM)
The Bengals jumping offside with 30 seconds to go on fourth and two up three with the Saints obviously just trying to draw them offside has to be way up there...no wonder they're 2-10.

The Bungals did what they do best, lose!!

And it's right and proper that the SAINTS win anyway...

1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 6 2008, 11:34 AM)
Red Sox 1986 World Series Game 6.

Nuff said...

Exactly what I was thinking. Yes, they DEFINITELY "blew it." One strike away from winning their first World Series since 1918... they blow the game, and Game 7.

I don't care; I'm a Yankee fan. But what a "They blew it" moment!

But the Sox of 1919-2004 were FULL of blown moments, eh? pokey.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 5 2010, 08:15 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 6 2008, 11:34 AM)
Red Sox 1986 World Series Game 6.

Nuff said...

Exactly what I was thinking. Yes, they DEFINITELY "blew it." One strike away from winning their first World Series since 1918... they blow the game, and Game 7.

I don't care; I'm a Yankee fan. But what a "They blew it" moment!

But the Sox of 1919-2004 were FULL of blown moments, eh? pokey.gif

Is that really worse than blowing a series where the losing team lost 4 in a row to blow a 3-0 lead?

Especially when the payroll of the losing team was so much higher than the winners' payroll...

tongue.gif