good jazz albums

xredsectorx

QUOTE (IDreamInSound @ Dec 27 2007, 11:07 PM)
Besides those first two tracks, Heavy Weather is probably the dullest fusion record I have heard and it really put me off from the genre. I really expected better from dudes like Zawinul and Shorter.

I love the first two tracks, but also the two Jaco-penned tracks "Teen Town" (a chops buster!) and "Havona" (with a great bass solo, which even quotes Stravinsky). The other tracks are pretty good too, IMO... with the exception of that Manolo Badrena percussion thing.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 28 2007, 10:09 AM)
QUOTE (IDreamInSound @ Dec 27 2007, 11:07 PM)
Besides those first two tracks, Heavy Weather is probably the dullest fusion record I have heard and it really put me off from the genre. I really expected better from dudes like Zawinul and Shorter.

I love the first two tracks, but also the two Jaco-penned tracks "Teen Town" (a chops buster!) and "Havona" (with a great bass solo, which even quotes Stravinsky). The other tracks are pretty good too, IMO... with the exception of that Manolo Badrena percussion thing.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the track with the random yelling. Otherwise, I really like it.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 19 2007, 11:50 AM)
A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
Time Out - Dave Brubeck Quartet

More modern/fusiony: CDs by Jaco Pastorius, and any Weather Report albums with him playing on them. Chick Corea Electrik Band, Stanley Clarke, and Return to Forever are also great "contemporary/fusion" artists.

Time Out is awesome!!! I love Dave Brubeck!

Blue Rondo a La Turk!!!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 19 2007, 12:12 PM)
QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Dec 19 2007, 11:54 AM)
Kenny G is great jazz I think. He plays a wicked saxophone.

Kenny G isn't jazz. Not even close. He's a pop saxophonist. Some people call that music "lite jazz," but it isn't real jazz. He has good skills but he's a soulless player.

1001 laying the smack down on Kenny G.!!!

Gotta love that! yes.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 19 2007, 08:31 PM)
Anything by the Chick Corea Elektric Band, who regrouped and are doing a few weeks here and there. They were just here at Yoshi's in Oakland for the week, this week in LA and next week in NY. I highly recommend them. Chick is an astounding keyboardist and composer. The band features Dave Weckl on drums (quite possibly the best drummer on the planet right now), Frank Gambale on guitar and Eric Marienthal on sax. The regular bass player, John Pattitucci is replaced for these dates by Victor Wooten. Absolutely stunning.

Also any Dave Weckl solo albums are interesting. Steve Smith (formerly of Journey, yes THAT Journey) has a band called Vital Information that is very good as well. Gambale was with them and left to rejoin Chick.

Bill Bruford did some stuff back in the 80s with Kitaro, a Japanese guitar player along with Jeff Berlin on bass. They called themselves Spice of Life. That stuff is pretty good too.

I saw the Elektrik band in 1990, with the original line up Chick, Dave, Frank Gambale, Eric Marienthal, and John Patitucci, they were totally awesome.

Would love them to tour over here again.

QUOTE (BL2112 @ Mar 17 2008, 06:19 PM)
jaco pastorius
heavy weather

yes.gif

Anything with Jaco Pastorius on bass: his solo stuff, his stuff with Joni Mitchell, his stuff with Weather Report...

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Dec 19 2007, 01:23 PM)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2a/Coltrane_Giant_Steps.jpg

this is a good thread and that ^^^ is an amazing disc.

been on a big jazz bender as of late. mostly miles, coltrane and parker.

i saw the miles davis experience a few months back and it really opened my eyes.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 19 2007, 02:19 PM)
One guy you need to check out is Miles Davis...

cool.gif

smile.gif wub.gif

For modern jazz, Mahavishnu, Return to Forever, Herbie Hancock, Weather Report, etc.

But one of the greatest albums of any genre in existence is a kind of blue by Miles Davis. An essential recording. Good god, the riff in So What, the squeal of the trumpet in Blue in Green.

Gavin Harrison used to drum big band, awesome stuff.

Buddy Rich. Yes!

Wow, four year thread bump! tongue.gif

I have to give a huge shout out to Blue Train:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410BVK4BZAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I rediscovered this a couple of weeks ago and can't stop playing it. Brilliant stuff, and probably a more accessible intro for Coltrane newbies than A Love Supreme (also brilliant).

Also, another vote for Pat Metheny, especially his more out-there stuff: Bright Size Life, Offramp, 80/81, Rejoicing. But not Song X. tongue.gif

Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (tangy @ Jan 27 2012, 08:06 PM)

i saw the miles davis experience a few months back and it really opened my eyes.

REVEREND!

Superb disc.

I'm far from being a Jazz aficionado, but I do enjoy some from time to time. Kind of Blue used to be my favorite Miles Davis album, until I heard this:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/ReRushed/miles.jpg

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 28 2012, 09:52 AM)
I'm far from being a Jazz aficionado, but I do enjoy some from time to time. Kind of Blue used to be my favorite Miles Davis album, until I heard this:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/ReRushed/miles.jpg

yet to hear that one. kind of blue is killer but i think i prefer birth of the cool, maybe it because i have heard so many more times?

I recently started listening to we want miles and think its great.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 28 2012, 04:23 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jan 27 2012, 08:06 PM)

REVEREND!

Superb disc.

yes.gif even my brother digs that disc! great energy.