Can Snakes & Arrows be outdone?

Earthshine

Do you think Snakes & Arrows will be the last great Rush album?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Snakes & Arrows will be the last great Rush album?

• Yes. They will make even better albums
    • Yes. This album is not that great.
    • No. They can't outdo this one.
    • Yes. If they get treeduck to produce it!
    • Yes. If they get John Rutsey back!
    • Yes. If they add another member.
    • Yes. If they get Terry Brown back.
    • I don't think Rush will make any more albums.
    • I have not heard Snakes & Arrows.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, ever since Counterparts, I've seen Rush getting better and better. Vapor Trails was better than Test For Echo, and S&A was better than VT. So their next effort could outdo this one, you never know. Time will tell...

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Aug 25 2007, 06:14 PM)
Bring back Broon!

That would bring the catalogue full circle, making for a phenomenal swan song.

f**k that. Both of them have moved on since then.

I would bet they will do their next album with Nick R. again, just because they enjoyed the experience so much. No complaints here, I thought he did a great job with S&A. But I'd also like them to try a completely different producer, something way outside of what they normally do. Brian Eno would be cool, or Timbaland.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 26 2007, 12:23 AM)
But I'd also like them to try a completely different producer, something way outside of what they normally do. Brian Eno would be cool, or Timbaland.

Timbaland? Great idea.......maybe Geddy and Alex can also sit around with Justin Timberlake and write some songs for the next album.......

laugh.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 26 2007, 01:38 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 26 2007, 12:23 AM)
But I'd also like them to try a completely different producer, something way outside of what they normally do. Brian Eno would be cool, or Timbaland.

Timbaland? Great idea.......maybe Geddy and Alex can also sit around with Justin Timberlake and write some songs for the next album.......

laugh.gif

rofl3.gif Timbaland rofl3.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

i didn't know music was a competition.

For the record S&A will not be out done. After this tour they are hanging it up. Geddy voice will be giving out any day now. Once that happens thats it. I'm sure they will all do something in music but not as Rush. I would be shocked if they put out another album 5 years from now. Neil will be 59. They have family's and have enough cash to live off of now. They might be able to do a studio record but no tour would follow.

QUOTE (Pagon @ Aug 26 2007, 10:51 AM)
Geddy voice will be giving out any day now.

Actually, I think he's sounding the best I've ever heard him sound this year, both live and on record. I feel like since they regrouped in 02, Geddy has become a true singer instead of just a vocalist.

Not that he wasn't great before, I just think he's at his peak vocally right now. And he seems to take good care of his voice, I think it will hold up for a good while longer.

I loved S&A, and I definetly concider it a top 5 rush album for their whole carrer, but do I think Snakes and Arrows is Rush's last great album. or last album period, I cannot guess, but I would hope not.

Rush probably will not announce any Tour, or Album as their last. It just depends in 3 or so years for now if Rush fells like they want do it again, and if they feel like it then we'll see more Rush, if they don't feel like it then that's that.

Personally though, how much I loved Snakes and Arrows, the album didn't come off as a "carrer finishing" album. It lacked the puncuation that a band that has been recording for 33 years needs to finish a beautiful carrer. I therfore predict (really just hope for) that we will see at least 1 more album, and though it may not be announced as "the last", and if it is the last I hope it has the proper puncation as makes us glad that the album was the last.

QUOTE (Pagon @ Aug 26 2007, 01:51 PM)

For the record S&A will not be out done. After this tour they are hanging it up. Geddy voice will be giving out any day now. Once that happens thats it. I'm sure they will all do something in music but not as Rush. I would be shocked if they put out another album 5 years from now. Neil will be 59. They have family's and have enough cash to live off of now. They might be able to do a studio record but no tour would follow.

Not only did Rush say they will not go out quietly, but rather announce their last tour, and probably dig out some of the deeper cuts for it, but they have a deal with Atlantic for another record, so they're contracted for it.

Honestly, I would not be surprised at two more tours, although the next may very well be their last.

QUOTE (LerxstFerret @ Aug 26 2007, 01:30 PM)

Not only did Rush say they will not go out quietly, but rather announce their last tour, and probably dig out some of the deeper cuts for it, but they have a deal with Atlantic for another record, so they're contracted for it.

Honestly, I would not be surprised at two more tours, although the next may very well be their last.

My thoughts exactly... yes.gif

i hope they do do another album. i have been into older music sincei was ever into music, so i have never been able to look forwards to a new CD. then i found rush. and then snakes and arrows was coming out, and waiting for this album was such a thrill, not knowign what to expect, listening to Far Cry on you tube and thinking, wow, this is awesome, what will the rest be like? my personal nature is nto to have high expectations, so i didnt, and therefore S and A definatly shone though for me as a brilliant album. not their best, but it is rush and it's the way they have headed. i was THRILLED to see 3 instrumentals on S and A, because the things that really drew me in to rush were YYZ and hemispheres- i love how they deviate from the norm...

for me, i would be happy if they released a DVD of this live tour and never did another album, but like others here i beleive that they still have at least 2 albums left in them. snaks and arrows ends like VT, where in VT 'endlessly rocking' and S and A 'we hold on' ... the last album will definatly have a punch at the end.

yes..it can get better than s&a trink38.gif

After this tour they are hanging it up. Geddy voice will be giving out any day now. Once that happens thats it. I'm sure they will all do something in music but not as Rush. I would be shocked if they put out another album 5 years from now. Neil will be 59. They have family's and have enough cash to live off of now. They might be able to do a studio record but no tour would follow.

Funny, I thought the same thing about 6 years ago...and then we got Vapor Trails, Rush in Rio, Feedback, R30, and Snakes & Arrows.

The band will in there early 60's when they release another album. That's if. I can see if they were playing garage music like the Rolling Stones or laid back music like Floyd. I guess we will find out 5 or more years from now. I hope they do. Just keeping it real man.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 26 2007, 01:23 AM)
QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Aug 25 2007, 06:14 PM)
Bring back Broon! 

That would bring the catalogue full circle, making for a phenomenal swan song.

f**k that. Both of them have moved on since then.

I would bet they will do their next album with Nick R. again, just because they enjoyed the experience so much. No complaints here, I thought he did a great job with S&A. But I'd also like them to try a completely different producer, something way outside of what they normally do. Brian Eno would be cool, or Timbaland.

I thought a while before responding PK. There are a couple of salient points to be considered here:

First, I did not mean to slight Nick R's work at all. I thought he did a great job, the end result being a terrific (although very cynical in tone) album. I certainly would not complain if he gets the nod for the next effort.

Second, I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and bash you about the Timbaland comment. Truthfully, I have no idea who he is or what he has done. Nor do I really care. I think it's safe to say that he won't be the next producer.

And finally, Terry Brown has earned immense respect from me. If it weren't for the first 8 studio albums (leaving out 2.gif) I seriously doubt I would be as interested in Rush as I am today. Truthfully, if PoW was the first album I had heard, this band would have equal status w/ Duran Duran and INXS. They would only be a footnote. They truly tested their mettle w/ those early albums, rewarding me w/ some of my favorite music.

Now, I don't mean that they should do another epic because they are w/ Broon again. But I would love thematic work from them, particularly one less depressing in tone from the last one. Neil's writing does get better as he goes on, but his choice of subject matter on S&A for me was a little ambitious. I appreciate him much more in the fictional realm.

Broon has changed w/ the years too, and I have no doubt that if they did get together again for one last effort, it would be superb. It always was when the four of them created together.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I see your point, and I'm also sure that they would make a great album with Terry Brown. But what I would love would be for them to do something completely out of their comfort zone, throw everyone for a loop. Hiring a traditional rock producer like Terry Brown or Rick Rubin or, for that matter, getting Nick R. again, would result in a great album, but that's because Rush makes great albums no matter who they work with. But those guys wouldn't push them as much as someone completely out of Rush's league would. Someone like Brian Eno, who is famous for his ambient work and his '70s experimental work with David Bowie, would force them to completely start from square one. Maybe his influences would lead to them bringing synths back in a completely different way than they used them in the '80s. When they used synths on those albums, they were basically used as an alternative to guitar, as a lead instrument. But imagine if they started using them completely as a textural thing, as a way to build atmosphere, like Eno did on Bowie's Berlin albums in the late '70s? How crazy would that be? Or Timbaland, who is a hip-hop producer. Not that I think Rush should make a rap album, but if you listen to anything Tim produces, he is very experimental and adventurous, in a totally different way from Rush. If he worked with the boys, he would force them to completely change the way they looked at a song. Plus, Geddy's a huge Bjork fan, and Timbaland produced three songs on her latest album.

Imagine if, at this stage of their career, when they're almost pushing 60, they made a complete left turn and put out something totally different and audience-polarizing? I'm not talking about like Signals, because they still had their same basic Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures sound intact, just with more synth. I'm talking about if they pulled a Kid A and just made a record that made all their fans go "WTF?" I would love that.

QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Aug 26 2007, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (LerxstFerret @ Aug 26 2007, 01:30 PM)

My thoughts exactly... yes.gif

I met Geddy Lee last night and asked him about touring. He told me to take it one at a time eh? but then alex told me that they had no ententions of slowing down =) smile.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 28 2007, 12:28 AM)
I see your point, and I'm also sure that they would make a great album with Terry Brown. But what I would love would be for them to do something completely out of their comfort zone, throw everyone for a loop. Hiring a traditional rock producer like Terry Brown or Rick Rubin or, for that matter, getting Nick R. again, would result in a great album, but that's because Rush makes great albums no matter who they work with. But those guys wouldn't push them as much as someone completely out of Rush's league would. Someone like Brian Eno, who is famous for his ambient work and his '70s experimental work with David Bowie, would force them to completely start from square one. Maybe his influences would lead to them bringing synths back in a completely different way than they used them in the '80s. When they used synths on those albums, they were basically used as an alternative to guitar, as a lead instrument. But imagine if they started using them completely as a textural thing, as a way to build atmosphere, like Eno did on Bowie's Berlin albums in the late '70s? How crazy would that be? Or Timbaland, who is a hip-hop producer. Not that I think Rush should make a rap album, but if you listen to anything Tim produces, he is very experimental and adventurous, in a totally different way from Rush. If he worked with the boys, he would force them to completely change the way they looked at a song. Plus, Geddy's a huge Bjork fan, and Timbaland produced three songs on her latest album.

Imagine if, at this stage of their career, when they're almost pushing 60, they made a complete left turn and put out something totally different and audience-polarizing? I'm not talking about like Signals, because they still had their same basic Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures sound intact, just with more synth. I'm talking about if they pulled a Kid A and just made a record that made all their fans go "WTF?" I would love that.

Rush and Eno! common001.gif

Man, I would love Eno* to produce Rush! Not only would Eno force Rush to think out of the box, Rush would force Eno to think out of the box. Imagine the possibilities!

*Eno did not produce the Berlin Trilogy with Bowie. Tony Visconti did. Outside is the only Bowie album Eno produced!

Archived