The Van Halen Thread

MakeHaste

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 26 2012, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 26 2012, 12:22 PM)
Have the shows all been sellouts?

The 2 MSG shows sold out in 20 min

Philly sold out in a a day or two, and they opened side and rear sections a few days later. Im wondering if some of the interest is regional.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 26 2012, 03:05 PM)

Philly sold out in a a day or two, and they opened side and rear sections a few days later. Im wondering if some of the interest is regional.

That's because, as legendary Spinal Tap manager Ian Faith said, "Now Philly, that's a real rock n roll town".

You sure about that?? laugh.gif

I just looked, and there are plenty of seats available...

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu304/homersimpson239/20f46b05.jpg

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu304/homersimpson239/8671745c.jpg

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Feb 26 2012, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 26 2012, 03:05 PM)

That's because, as legendary Spinal Tap manager Ian Faith said, "Now Philly, that's a real rock n roll town".

1022.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Feb 26 2012, 04:49 PM)

Even the biggest bands in the world like U2 release Tix a day or so before a show.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 26 2012, 05:27 PM)

Even the biggest bands in the world like U2 release Tix a day or so before a show.

but most bands will have the best seats right away right?

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Feb 26 2012, 05:49 PM)

These are floor seats, pretty good if you ask me. Seats won't always be in the front when they release them. The Tix are Band Guest List Tix or Radio station people/ winners that can't go.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 26 2012, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Feb 26 2012, 05:49 PM)

These are floor seats, pretty good if you ask me. Seats won't always be in the front when they release them. The Tix are Band Guest List Tix or Radio station people/ winners that can't go.

Yes. The fact is, maybe not everywhere, but in NYC and Philly, the arenas will be chock full. And MSG that two shows.

The new album is growing on me for sure. I like a lot of the songs. Driving rock songs with melodies and good riffs. After reviewing the setlist, short of a couple changes, I think its great - smattering of new stuff, old stuff including some deeper cuts from II and FW. I think the show will only have one negative, and thats Dave's continued inability to sing live. His voice holds up on a lot of ADKOT, and he doesnt even seem to be able to carry that live. But.. with all this music, Im sure the show is going to be a lot fo fun (for me). There's no accounting for taste of course. smile.gif

Really great seats are OFTEN released last minute. I know some people who, especially when they go alone, buy tix the day of or day before and are 2 or 3 rows back. Not at all uncommon. I can't do that because I'm too paranoid I'll miss out, but it happens all the time.

Just like some days on pre-sales you get into the system 30 seconds after tickets go on sale and you can't find a floor seat. What, they ALL sold out in under 30 seconds? wink.gif

I'd wager that the vast majority of these shows will be at 80-to-85% + capacity. That's roughly 9500-to-10K in a 12K arena. In today's touring rock (at those prices in a still shitty economy), that's a success every time. Bands tour year in and out and far less a percentage. (I'm just guessing). It'll depend on the city, the night, the area of the country, how many shows are being done in a close area, etc. All the usual things. They will undoubtedly sell out or come very close to selling out a number of big places.

Got my tickets for under $50 before fees. I'm back a ways, but with a good straight on view. I'm pleased.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 27 2012, 08:17 AM)
Really great seats are OFTEN released last minute. I know some people who, especially when they go alone, buy tix the day of or day before and are 2 or 3 rows back. Not at all uncommon. I can't do that because I'm too paranoid I'll miss out, but it happens all the time.

Got my tickets for under $50 before fees. I'm back a ways, but with a good straight on view. I'm pleased.

On point one. Absolutely correct. This will happen at almost any show. When Metaldad and I went to Dream Theater at the Beacon in 09 I pulled 7th row center at around 5:00pm show night. The venue was about 85%full that night.

I've seen it happen at many Rush shows as well.

As far as a 50 dollar ticket for VH goes. If I was able to pull that off I would be going to the Garden tomorrow night.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 27 2012, 07:17 AM)

Just like some days on pre-sales you get into the system 30 seconds after tickets go on sale and you can't find a floor seat. What, they ALL sold out in under 30 seconds? wink.gif

I'd wager that the vast majority of these shows will be at 80-to-85% + capacity. That's roughly 9500-to-10K in a 12K arena. In today's touring rock (at those prices in a still shitty economy), that's a success every time. Bands tour year in and out and far less a percentage. (I'm just guessing). It'll depend on the city, the night, the area of the country, how many shows are being done in a close area, etc. All the usual things. They will undoubtedly sell out or come very close to selling out a number of big places.

I think EVERYONE knows that. But it was not a day or two before the show when the search was done.

I am not trying to slam VH - more ticketMaster for trying to generate hype over a false sold out show to make sure those seats that do get released are purchased right away.

Not counting the sections behind the band that were not sold, I would say the united center was about 80% filled. That middle tier really was quite empty compared to the tier 1 and 3 sections

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Feb 27 2012, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 27 2012, 07:17 AM)
Really great seats are OFTEN released last minute.  I know some people who, especially when they go alone, buy tix the day of or day before and are 2 or 3 rows back.  Not at all uncommon.  I can't do that because I'm too paranoid I'll miss out, but it happens all the time.

Just like some days on pre-sales you get into the system 30 seconds after tickets go on sale and you can't find a floor seat.  What, they ALL sold out in under 30 seconds?  wink.gif

I'd wager that the vast majority of these shows will be at 80-to-85% + capacity.  That's roughly 9500-to-10K in a 12K arena.  In today's touring rock (at those prices in a still shitty economy), that's a success every time.  Bands tour year in and out and far less a percentage.  (I'm just guessing).  It'll depend on the city, the night, the area of the country, how many shows are being done in a close area, etc.  All the usual things.  They will undoubtedly sell out or come very close to selling out a number of big places.

Got my tickets for under $50 before fees.  I'm back a ways, but with a good straight on view.  I'm pleased.

I think EVERYONE knows that. But it was not a day or two before the show when the search was done.

I am not trying to slam VH - more ticketMaster for trying to generate hype over a false sold out show to make sure those seats that do get released are purchased right away.

Not counting the sections behind the band that were not sold, I would say the united center was about 80% filled. That middle tier really was quite empty compared to the tier 1 and 3 sections

That's still a very good showing. Some will be worse. Most, I reckon, will be better than 80%. It's a sluggish economy, though, so if they're down some from '07 I'd certainly understand it. I've heard numerous people say they want to go and just can't. Been there!!

Man, I miss the days of $12 concert tickets. Going to shows, even on the fly, was just a no-brainer. Last minute decision...not a bank-breaker. I have to budget for every show I see now-a-days and miss more than I care to because of prices. Sucks.

The price for my first VH show in 1981 was $10. The price this tour is $170.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 27 2012, 09:47 AM)
Man, I miss the days of $12 concert tickets. Going to shows, even on the fly, was just a no-brainer. Last minute decision...not a bank-breaker. I have to budget for every show I see now-a-days and miss more than I care to because of prices. Sucks.

well said! trink39.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 27 2012, 04:30 PM)
The price for my first VH show in 1981 was $10. The price this tour is $170.

You need to splash a bit of cash though mate, it makes you feel better psychologically, it's the METALDAD way after all...

trink36.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 27 2012, 06:14 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Feb 27 2012, 05:12 PM)
I was rocking out to this one on my Ipod today! 1022.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwzXop5kLxE

This is the Tick song of the moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCYmAwgsFsU

ohmy.gif

*I am scared*

Edited by Tick