The Van Halen Thread

MakeHaste

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 25 2012, 10:04 AM)
DLR was never a great live singer. Look at any clip of him. Nothing has changed in terms of his ability to sing in a live setting, except that arguably he actually sings MORE these days than when he was completely stoned on stage. Watch the US Festival in '83 for proof that he's better today than he was then.

Can't wait for Greensboro. trink39.gif

laugh.gif Thats so true. Ive looked at many old clips, and DLR always sounds behind, flat, not really good. So.. if the acrobatics are less... less there. I believe hearing Eddie play is worth the price of admission. And per the videos Ive seen, frankly, I like MA, but fans have not lost much in the bass dept.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 25 2012, 10:46 AM)
If those are the three bullet points that you could come up with for "The Good" then I'm glad I decided not to get tickets for my local show. Your review, on the whole, makes it sound like a very "meh" affair all around.

I can't believe DLR would yell at his crew like that on the mic... geez. dazed025.gif

With the gas, parking and tix, I told my wife I'm glad I went just to see them one last time, but I would rather have that $200 back

QUOTE (Tick @ Feb 25 2012, 11:47 AM)
I can't wait for Metaldads shows to hear his thoughts.

Every account of the show has been the same (to me) with regard to reviews and the actual video Ive seen of the show. It seems to me, the enjoyment of the show has to do with how much one cares about the various levels of performance. As Ive mentioned in other threads and this one, it has a lot to do with expectations and demands. Rush, The Who, VH, and a whole host of other bands have obviously in one way or another deteriorated over the decades of playing, but keep playing and making albums. IMO, in almost every single case, their new albums arent close to the albums of their prime which could be 20 to 40 years ago. The vocalist is obviously the one who suffers the most, as they ag and cant sing as they once could - that would easily include DLR (who never sang good lve IMO), Geddy, Roger Daltrey, Phil Collins, Jon Anderson (humorously, Yes simply finds guys that sound just like him and hire them smile.gif) and ALL the singers from years ago. All these bands tour, and to one extent or another, the fans show up because they are willing to hear the old tunes, even imperfectly, loud and live with other fans. Would I say Rush does it better than most? Well.. its my biased opinion that they've done the best of all the old bands.

My point is the review from fans will be based a lot on their enjoyment of the band, and seeing the people live, even if they arent great.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 25 2012, 12:00 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Feb 25 2012, 11:47 AM)
I can't wait for Metaldads shows to hear his thoughts.

Every account of the show has been the same (to me) with regard to reviews and the actual video Ive seen of the show. It seems to me, the enjoyment of the show has to do with how much one cares about the various levels of performance. As Ive mentioned in other threads and this one, it has a lot to do with expectations and demands. Rush, The Who, VH, and a whole host of other bands have obviously in one way or another deteriorated over the decades of playing, but keep playing and making albums. IMO, in almost every single case, their new albums arent close to the albums of their prime which could be 20 to 40 years ago. The vocalist is obviously the one who suffers the most, as they ag and cant sing as they once could - that would easily include DLR (who never sang good lve IMO), Geddy, Roger Daltrey, Phil Collins, Jon Anderson (humorously, Yes simply finds guys that sound just like him and hire them smile.gif) and ALL the singers from years ago. All these bands tour, and to one extent or another, the fans show up because they are willing to hear the old tunes, even imperfectly, loud and live with other fans. Would I say Rush does it better than most? Well.. its my biased opinion that they've done the best of all the old bands.

My point is the review from fans will be based a lot on their enjoyment of the band, and seeing the people live, even if they arent great.

The highs of the original experience are so strong that they more than make up for the shortcomings brought on by age.

Also, VH is probably like other bands in that their live performances were never that strong in terms of sound quality or execution. A lot of classic bands actually sound better today because of technology and, more importantly, sobriety.

I've seen Rush and VH in Charlotte, a bunch of bands in Atlanta and even Rush in Greenville, SC. Always a great time. Milwaukee usually is a great crowd, but in Chicago almost everyone was standing, but just standing... no rocking out or playing along... In their defense, it was nearly impossible to sing along with Dave because he was never with the music or rambling on...... eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 25 2012, 11:00 PM)
ok, ive seen some clips online and see the one gripe... while eddie is soloing, there seems to be video of strobe lit dlr instead of maybe a close up of ed's guitar work. thats really dumb.

Yup, if Dave is weak live focus on the strength of Eddie

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Feb 25 2012, 04:52 PM)
In their defense, it was nearly impossible to sing along with Dave because he was never with the music or rambling on...... eyesre4.gif

Dave in '79...doing much of the same. Eddie...spot on.

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 26 2012, 12:43 AM)
Seems like they pulled this off fine though...Louisville show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lvpf5h45Mc

Well, that was pretty good. That's why I picked that song as one of my highlights of the show. There were only a few songs that he did well using that singing approach

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Feb 26 2012, 09:46 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Feb 26 2012, 12:43 AM)
Seems like they pulled this off fine though...Louisville show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lvpf5h45Mc

Well, that was pretty good. That's why I picked that song as one of my highlights of the show. There were only a few songs that he did well using that singing approach

Too bad. A little ham is good, but Dave doesn't reign it in, and when it's constant it just becomes annoying. I remember this from when I saw him on Eat Em and Smile. That same year I saw Sammy and enjoyed him much more...even though I was never a fan before.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Feb 25 2012, 11:05 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 25 2012, 11:00 PM)
ok, ive seen some clips online and see the one gripe... while eddie is soloing, there seems to be video of strobe lit dlr instead of maybe a close up of ed's guitar work.  thats really dumb.

Yup, if Dave is weak live focus on the strength of Eddie

Yes.. but.. my point is, even if Dave were doing backflips and splits during an Eddie solo, one should still bring the camera in to Eddie's solo.

I'm going to see the show shortly... so we'll see. I suspect despite's Daves shortcomings I am going to enjoy the show.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 25 2012, 04:31 PM)

Some of the worst concert crowds I've seen are in LA, New York, etc.

I have Never seen a Bad show from any of my fav bands in NYC. I have been to dif states to see bands and NY was always the best. Anyone can have sound problems or out of tune guitars,. but it is what the Band does around those problems

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 26 2012, 12:22 PM)
Have the shows all been sellouts?

Don't think many (if any) were sellouts.

I bought tix the night before the concert, and there were plenty of tix left, and in Chicago, the middle tier was about half empty. The other 2 price tiers were pretty full, but still lots of empty seats.

I know the VIP package has sold out in many locations

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 26 2012, 12:22 PM)
Have the shows all been sellouts?

The 2 MSG shows sold out in 20 min