Steelers fan thread.

kazzman

QUOTE (Indica @ Sep 26 2005, 10:11 PM)
Story here

Yeah, I just heard that on the local sports talk tonight.

What's more unbelievable is that nobody caught it during the game. I know I missed it but you would think Cowher or his guys upstairs in the booth would catch it. That's real unfortunate.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a real solid win by the Steelers. They needed that one and they beat one of the best teams (IMHO) in the league to get it.

I love the AFC! There is so much more intrigue in the AFC than in the NFC.

The NFC basically has the Falcons and Eagles (despite the loss to Dallas) as contenders. That's it, after that there is a great drop-off.

Gosh, the AFC is loaded with them. The Colts, Steelers, Pats, Chargers, Broncos, Chiefs, Bengals.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Oct 16 2005, 04:13 PM)
Jax picks it off in O.T. and runs it back for a TD. doh.gif  mad.gif

The steelers blew it over and over in that game. They ran back the opening kick in OT to the 30 yard line, all they needed was 10 yards to get a little closer to kick a field goal, instead they fumbled. They get the ball back and Tommy throws the INT. If it wasn't for them blowing it before the end of the 4th quarter with pentalties then it wouldn't have went into overtime anyway.

God!! I really thought they were a more solid team, even without Big Ben and Hines Ward but I guess they need those guys more than I thought.

Edited by Indica

So John Elway dies, and goes to heaven. St Peter tells him to go ahead, walk around, and enjoy his time there. So he begins to walk around, and soon enough, he comes to a house with a HUGE Denver Broncos flag flying outside of it. The house had a picket fence painted red and blue. John smiled, and thought, wow....they must really like me here in Heaven.

The next day, John decided to go for a walk and check out the rest of the neighborhood. He was very happy with his house. None of the others seemed really spectacular. Then, he came to this massive estate at the end of the block. This house must have been 8 stories high. Each level alternated Black and Gold. There was a Gold brick path leading to the front door. There was a waterfall in the back that flowed over with Iron City Beer. The curtains in the windows were made of STEEL. The flag in front of this house had was 5 times the size of John's, and it bore a large Steelers helmet on it. It was incredible. But John wasn't happy....

He went home, and called up God. He said:

"God, I love my house and all, but listen.....I was a super bowl MVP....I started in 5 super bowls, was elected to 9 pro bowls, had over 300 career touchdowns, and over 50, 000 yards in my career. I like to think i've made a big impact on the game of football. I just don't understand how a guy like Ben Roethlesburger, who's only been in the NFL for one year, can have a house that is so much bigger ndn more extravegant than mine. It doesn't seem fair.

God smiled....then laughed and said....

"Oh John, don't be silly. That's not Ben's house......it's Mine!"

QUOTE (home_on_my_strange @ Oct 20 2005, 09:18 AM)
To the morons throwing garbage on Tommy Maddox's lawn, it's just a game, there are far more important things to worry about. He's a good guy, he just had a bad game.

Yeah I always liked Maddox too, he is a good guy. He just had a bad game is all, hell he hasn't started in over a year so I didn't expect a brilliant game anyway. He did look bad though but so does the best players in the game on certain weeks. Tommy is a Steeler, which makes him pretty damn cool. I hope he does better if he has to step in again, I've seen him shine many times.

It's time for my weekly prediction.

Well, the bengals finally have to play a real team this week. The Steelers are beat up right now so I think it's going to be a close game since they are on the road.

Steelers 24

Bengals 21

QUOTE (Indica @ Oct 21 2005, 04:05 AM)
To the morons throwing garbage on Tommy Maddox's lawn, it's just a game, there are far more important things to worry about. He's a good guy, he just had a bad game.

Yeah I always liked Maddox too, he is a good guy. He just had a bad game is all, hell he hasn't started in over a year so I didn't expect a brilliant game anyway. He did look bad though but so does the best players in the game on certain weeks. Tommy is a Steeler, which makes him pretty damn cool. I hope he does better if he has to step in again, I've seen him shine many times.

I forget where I saw it, but there was a report that Maddox's agent might have made up the story about angry fans throwing garbage into his lawn and harassing his kids.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Oct 23 2005, 12:08 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Oct 21 2005, 04:05 AM)

I forget where I saw it, but there was a report that Maddox's agent might have made up the story about angry fans throwing garbage into his lawn and harassing his kids.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a typical Steeler fan.

QUOTE (Indica @ Oct 23 2005, 10:42 AM)
It's time for my weekly prediction.

Well, the bengals finally have to play a real team this week. The Steelers are beat up right now so I think it's going to be a close game since they are on the road.

Steelers 24
Bengals 21

I underestimated the steelers and I overestimated the bengals.

Steelers 27

Bengals 13

The bengals finally played a real team and we seen what happened then. heh

Story here

As long as Steelers run, AFC North is doomed to chase

CINCINNATI -- Pittsburgh, not Cincinnati, is the best team in the AFC North. And the Steelers might just be the best team in football.

I know, they don't have the best record in the NFL. Indianapolis does. They don't even have the best record in their division. Cincinnati does, but only because it played one more game than the Steelers.

But Sunday's 27-13 waxing of the Bengals -- Cincinnati's second loss in three games -- convinced me.

Pittsburgh won with Ben Roethlisberger completing nine passes for 93 yards; with only two players, tight end Heath Miller and wide receiver Hines Ward, making catches; and with unheralded cornerback Ike Taylor keeping Chad Johnson off the scoreboard.

Yet they buried the Bengals, and they did it the way they've done it for years -- by running them to death. They went right. They went left. They went up the gut. And when they were finished they had 221 yards in 47 tries, and stop if you've heard this before.

A year ago the Steelers averaged -- averaged -- 158 yards rushing against Cincinnati in two wins. On Sunday, they were so successful with their ground game they called nothing but runs on all 21 snaps of the fourth quarter.

"People get so enamored with the ball in the air, they don't understand what it takes to build an offense," said Steelers running back Jerome Bettis. "This game was designed as a running game, and then the pass was introduced -- and now people want to make the pass the strong point. But that's ultimately why we're competitive every year; because we can run the football."

Bettis offered a textbook example on a third-and-3 call at the Cincinnati 25 late in the third quarter. The Steelers were in control 17-6, and dialed Bettis' number for a short plunge up the middle. At first, it appeared he was stopped. But his feet never stopped, with Bettis carrying a pile of tacklers to the 21 and another first down.

Fans booed, believing officials should have whistled the play dead, but they were wrong. Replays showed that Bettis' knees never touched the turf. So he had a critical first down that, four plays later, produced a Ward touchdown.

"A huge play," said offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt. "That was the biggest play of the drive."

It was one of the biggest of the game, too, and it demonstrated that until or unless Cincinnati figures out a way to stop Bettis, Willie Parker, Verron Haynes -- you name it -- they can stop thinking about supplanting Pittsburgh at the top of the AFC North.

"We won this division the last couple of years," said Bettis, "so you still have to go through us. We don't feel this is a division up for grabs. We feel it's still our division. We just have to go out and control the ball, and that's what we did."

The Steelers entered the game determined to beat the Bengals with the run, but they struggled until their third possession, when the combination of Parker and Bettis helped produce Pittsburgh's first touchdown. It was a sign of what was ahead: Parker and Bettis ravaged Cincinnati for 187 yards -- Parker gaining 131 by himself -- and the Bengals wilted in a game that was billed as their biggest in years.

"We can't be more disappointed about losing," Cincinnati's Marvin Lewis would say afterward.

I understand, but this is not exactly new for the losers. An opposing back had 100 yards in five of their six division games last year, and opponents this season averaged five yards a carry against the Bengals. If Cincinnati truly was worthy of challenging for a division title, skeptics insisted, the barometer was Pittsburgh.

And now you know.

"They kind of forgot who the champs were," said Steelers linebacker Joey Porter. "We have the same team we had last year, and until they beat us, we're still the champs. And we went out and played like it today. We played with a chip on our shoulders."

Well, they should. They lost a game last week only because Roethlisberger was out. Until that defeat, the Steelers had two turnovers all year; Tommy Maddox, who replaced Roethlisberger for one start, had four by himself -- including two in overtime. Their only other loss? It was to defending Super Bowl champion New England in a game where officials lost track of the time.

Now, look at this team a little more closely. It has won a franchise-record 10 consecutive road games, is 17-1 under Roethlisberger in regular-season play and hasn't lost two straight since Nov. 2, 2003. Plus, the Steelers are well balanced: A year ago they ranked first in defense and second in rushing; entering Sunday they were eighth in defense and 13th in rushing -- with the latter figure bound to jump.

"We're a run team," said Ward. "And we're going to run first until they stop us."

Last time I looked, they hadn't. What Pittsburgh does well, few clubs do better. It's a formula that produced a division championship a year ago and, barring a change in Cincinnati's play for its Dec. 4 date at Pittsburgh, it's a formula that should produce another this season.

Pittsburgh just showed us why.

"This was a big game for us," said Ward. "Our backs were against the wall, but we just looked at is as, we were 15-1 last year and the division champs. The championship still has to come through Pittsburgh."

ok, Time for my weekly prediction.

Although the Steelers should Smear the Ravens ass all over the parking lot, I think it will be closer than you think.

Steelers 24

Ravens 14

QUOTE (Indica @ Oct 28 2005, 02:32 AM)
ok, Time for my weekly prediction.

Although the Steelers should Smear the Ravens ass all over the parking lot, I think it will be closer than you think.

Steelers 24
Ravens 14

I'm pulling for the Ravens in this one.

bolt.gif

I dont think that Bill would make the mistake of putting Maddox in there. But Bens young and will recover quickly, we should see him in next week though, so dont worry there!

Yeah, I just heard that Ben is out for 3 weeks. It sucks but good teams should be able to overcome losing some players and still win anyway. We will see, we need someone who isn't going to make a lot of mistakes and I think we can keep on winning. The steelers are that good.

OK time for my weekly prediction.

Damn, hmmmm, Big Ben is out. Bettis is out. Staley is gonna play for first time in a year, batch is going to play for the first time in 4 years. I haven't picked the Steelers to lose in the past 2 years. I don't really want to start this week. In Green Bay, Green Bay hasn't been real good this year, hmmm.

Should be a close game. I hope the Steelers win.

Steelers 24

Packers 23