98 Degrees?

theredtamasrule

So I'm scanning through Neil's "Traveling Music" book today just to see if it catches my fancy. To my unending horror I read that Peart is not only a genuine FAN of the boy band 98 Degrees...he & Carrie actually went to one of their concerts, got backstage & was introduced to the "band"...

...er, um,...er...huh?

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue.

cool10.gif

That's shocking. wtf.gif

Didn't surprise me because I had read his book. I didn't see it as a big deal. I think he described them as having cathy music. Also when your with someone you love, you would be surprised how alot of different types of music suddenly sounds good.

Except for Rap.

Yes, I even went to the more famous Canadian's show in Vegas last week because the wife wanted to. I actually enjoyed it. No biggie...

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 21 2007, 04:56 PM)
You people know how to suck the fun out of everything.

Yes, and our bill is in the mail!

There's no doubt that Neil has a very diverse taste in music. I was surprised when he talked about how much he loved Frank Sinatra. YUK! That crooner crap makes me want to slit my wrists. I'd sooner listen to 98 degrees than Frank.

I think you need to realize how different people's music tastes are. He readily defends his like for 98* in the book, and whilst I can't share the appreciation, I can at least respect his reasoning. Just because he's the ultimate drummer, doesn't mean his tastes will perfectly align with yours. He's just an open person, musically.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 21 2007, 06:34 PM)
So I'm scanning through Neil's "Traveling Music" book today just to see if it catches my fancy. To my unending horror I read that Peart is not only a genuine FAN of the boy band 98 Degrees...he & Carrie actually went to one of their concerts, got backstage & was introduced to the "band"...

...er, um,...er...huh?

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue.

cool10.gif

Yep, he does like them. Go figure...

I was also surprised to see he was into Ultravox.

UUUggghh this reminds me of a rockline moment in the 80s when some caller who had waited to talk with Geddy finally-finally got to ask his question:

CALLER:"I saw you wearing a DEVO button onstage...do you like DEVO?" ( almost incredulously in disbelief-dreams shattered oh the horror)

Geddy: "Yes I do like DEVO..I like them very much"

HOST: "IS that the extent of your question?" ( Host somewhat confused)

CALLER:"Yes"( meekly)

I laughed when I heard that and I was about 18 years old....I could not believe someone actually sat waiting for an extended period of time to ask something that stupid..sorry. I mean who are we to get all riled up over Rush's tastes in music....all the Metal heads cried over that one.

He's a guy with very eclectic taste in music...and probably everything else. I'm all over the map with my tastes in music, movies, books, TV...

Right now, my CD changer has Rush, Bjork, Sleater-Kinney, Pretenders, Garbage, and Miles Davis in it. Why limit ourselves to one flavor when there is so much to try? And why expect Neil to be any different?

QUOTE (wordsmith @ May 22 2007, 09:09 AM)
He's a guy with very eclectic taste in music...

LOL...try to make it sound fancy, but maybe he just has no shame in admitting he likes some shitty music. 98 Degrees was the worst of the worst boy bands. Nothing wrong with liking anything you want (hey, I admit to liking Gwar) but some things are just fact...like 98 Degrees being terrible. laugh.gif

Give me just one night! UNA NOCHE!!! z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (The O' Sullivan Factor @ May 21 2007, 10:24 PM)
I guess you didn't read the book... unsure.gif

Neil's taste in music is awesome, the only reason I'm a fan of Jeff Buckley, Dredg, or Porcupine Tree (and some of the new wave bands he mentions) are simply because he talks about them in the book.

Neil digs Dredg? Niceeee.... they're a great band.

And yeah, he does have pretty diverse taste. The creator of this thread is probably just disappointed to have learned that Neil doesn't REALLY sit in a secluded lair of prog rock wankery listening to Dream Theater all day.

QUOTE (Sathington WillOUghby @ May 22 2007, 11:13 AM)
98 degrees is not the worst of the boy bands. At least they admit they are a boy band. The Beastie Boys are the worst of the boy bands. They put a lot of effort into not coming across as a boy band, but they are bubble gum all the way.

wtf.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 22 2007, 12:29 PM)
QUOTE (Sathington WillOUghby @ May 22 2007, 11:13 AM)
98 degrees is not the worst of the boy bands.  At least they admit they are a boy band.  The Beastie Boys are the worst of the boy bands.  They put a lot of effort into not coming across as a boy band, but they are bubble gum all the way.

wtf.gif

wtf.gif +1

That's absurd eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Sathington WillOUghby @ May 22 2007, 12:13 PM)
98 degrees is not the worst of the boy bands. At least they admit they are a boy band. The Beastie Boys are the worst of the boy bands. They put a lot of effort into not coming across as a boy band, but they are bubble gum all the way.

You DO know that they originally played Bad Brains-influenced punk music, right?

They may have fallen off by now, but they were pretty damn cool early in their career.

Archived