98 Degrees?

theredtamasrule

QUOTE (Sathington WillOUghby @ May 22 2007, 11:13 AM)
98 degrees is not the worst of the boy bands.  At least they admit they are a boy band.  The Beastie Boys are the worst of the boy bands.  They put a lot of effort into not coming across as a boy band, but they are bubble gum all the way.

I never do this....that is the most inaccurate statement I have ever heard. You obviously have only listened to the radio stuff and have never read anything about the band. The beastie boys are very dedicated to their music and fans.

To say that 98 degrees is even in the same universe as the beastie boys....

Are you sure you're a Rush fan?

I apologize for flaming but I just cannot believe what you have said.

OK. I get it. You're a troll! I should have know. Mods, watch out for this guy. He's only here to make absurd statements that will start fights.

Get Beastie Boys "Some Old Bullshit". It came out in 1983 or 1984, it contains some pretty hardcore, old school punk.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ May 22 2007, 02:04 PM)
OK. I get it. You're a troll! I should have know. Mods, watch out for this guy. He's only here to make absurd statements that will start fights.

I JUST GOT ON THE INTERNET FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!

-Nlv's post screaming about the joys of the intronets machine...

Ouch! Evidently, I struck a nerve.

I spent two weeks working lights on the 94 Lollapalooza tour. I have seen more than my fair share of the beasties. They were second to last each night, right after George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars and right before Smashing Pumpkins. I wasn't a big fan of anybody on the tour, but I didn't know any of them very well.

After the first night (Chicago), was immediately impressed by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (awesome energy). The Breeders were boring while P-Funk was rockin'and groovin', but the crowd didn't seem to notice. The crowd went wild for the Beasties, though the only bit of talent I saw/heard was from the percussionist. Lastly, the crowd got into the Pumpkins, who did a good show, but they are from Chicago, so the crowd was biased.

For the most part, each night was the same, except that the Pumpkins had a way of pissing off the crowd if they chose to do so. For the St. Louis show, they chastised the box seat folks in the front, sitting on their butts, while the "real" fans were stuck on the lawn. The lawn section cheered, but the box seats crowd didn't seem impressed.

Back to the Beasties. It took a few shows, but I finally realized why the crowds were so mute to P-Funk's intense jams, but so pumped for the Beastie's simplistic jams. There was a bunch of pre/barely pubescent white kids crowding the front, waiting for their Boys to come on. Since they had never seen P-Funk on MTV, they just sat there with their thumbs up their arses, blowing bubbles. When the Beasties came on, they went wild and as soon as the Beasties were done, the kids left the show. Others were able to move into the better seats for the Pumpkins, and depending on the mood of Biily Corbin (or what ever his name is), they got an average or a great show.

So my opinion that the Beastie Boys are a boy band, comes not from their music, but their fans. I saw, night after night, their fans show no regard for good bands, a short burst of energy when the Beasties were on, then out to the front gate to catch a ride home from Mom or Dad. In my books, that makes them a boy band.

Who would've guessed that young people at Lollapalooza in 94 were more pumped to see the Beasties than P-Funk? You rocket scientists had your work cut out for you. Not like the Beasties had one of their biggest albums out at the time or anything.

QUOTE (Sathington WillOUghby @ May 22 2007, 03:08 PM)
Ouch!  Evidently, I struck a nerve.

I spent two weeks working lights on the 94 Lollapalooza tour.  I have seen more than my fair share of the beasties.  They were second to last each night, right after George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars and right before Smashing Pumpkins.  I wasn't a big fan of anybody on the tour, but I didn't know any of them very well.

After the first night (Chicago),  was immediately impressed by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (awesome energy).  The Breeders were boring while P-Funk was rockin'and groovin', but the crowd didn't seem to notice.  The crowd went wild for the Beasties, though the only bit of talent I saw/heard was from the percussionist.  Lastly, the crowd got into the Pumpkins, who did a good show, but they are from Chicago, so the crowd was biased.

For the most part, each night was the same, except that the Pumpkins had a way of pissing off the crowd if they chose to do so.  For the St. Louis show, they chastised the box seat folks in the front, sitting on their butts, while the "real" fans were stuck on the lawn.  The lawn section cheered, but the box seats crowd didn't seem impressed.

Back to the Beasties.  It took a few shows, but I finally realized why the crowds were so mute to P-Funk's intense jams, but so pumped for the Beastie's simplistic jams.  There was a bunch of pre/barely pubescent white kids crowding the front, waiting for their Boys to come on.  Since they had never seen P-Funk on MTV, they just sat there with their thumbs up their arses, blowing bubbles.  When the Beasties came on, they went wild and as soon as the Beasties were done, the kids left the show.  Others were able to move into the better seats for the Pumpkins, and depending on the mood of Biily Corbin (or what ever his name is), they got an average or a great show.

So my opinion that the Beastie Boys are a boy band, comes not from their music, but their fans.  I saw, night after night, their fans show no regard for good bands, a short burst of energy when the Beasties were on, then out to the front gate to catch a ride home from Mom or Dad.  In my books, that makes them a boy band.

Sounds like you don't know the definition of a boy band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_bands

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ May 21 2007, 07:36 PM)
There's no doubt that Neil has a very diverse taste in music. I was surprised when he talked about how much he loved Frank Sinatra. YUK! That crooner crap makes me want to slit my wrists. I'd sooner listen to 98 degrees than Frank.

I actually started listening to a little bit of Frank Sinatra since he described in his book how great he was. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ May 21 2007, 07:36 PM)
There's no doubt that Neil has a very diverse taste in music. I was surprised when he talked about how much he loved Frank Sinatra. YUK! That crooner crap makes me want to slit my wrists. I'd sooner listen to 98 degrees than Frank.

Drivel. IMO, of course. The greatest single vocalist of all time. Some great songs and great tunes over decades.

QUOTE (Sathington WillOUghby @ May 22 2007, 12:13 PM)
98 degrees is not the worst of the boy bands. At least they admit they are a boy band. The Beastie Boys are the worst of the boy bands. They put a lot of effort into not coming across as a boy band, but they are bubble gum all the way.

hmmmm nooooo. You don't know what you're talking about

Well....the point of bubblegum music is instant pleasure even if there is no substance......so if someone likes bubblegum thats fine. Thats what it's supposed to do. It's supposed to be the talent of writing th most catchy song, not the most difficult. And to be honest, all the singer's of catchy bubblegum music have good voices.

I myself will admit that I listen to some of it.

The only catchy music I really hate is the stuff that is super repetitive.....It makes me bored

Anyways music is all about opinions anyhow

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 22 2007, 11:18 AM)
Who would've guessed that young people at Lollapalooza in 94 were more pumped to see the Beasties than P-Funk? You rocket scientists had your work cut out for you. Not like the Beasties had one of their biggest albums out at the time or anything.

Yeah, really.

Before I read the Lollapalooza post, my best guess was that you meant to type "Backstreet" instead of "Beastie." Apparently I was wrong.

Neil likes Linkin Park and 98 Degrees. Big deal. I like Justin Timberlake.

Travelling Music is responsible for introducing me to both Massive Attack and Jeff Buckley, so he could have been spending the rest of the book espousing the greatness of Nickelback for all I care.

Archived