Is "Appetite For Destruction" The Greatest Hard

RUSHHEAD666

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Apr 18 2007, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 18 2007, 07:33 PM)
They had some stuff that would be in that category, but their reach and influence went way beyond that...they had a lot of Middle Eastern experiments, some folk and blues, even some funk and reggae...they were an extremely diverse band, I think it's unfair to them to just call them "hard rock" or "heavy metal."

Dude, Zeppelin is the orginal hard rock band! Sure they have some different songs, but every band does, even metal bands. I.E. "Plane Caravan" by Sabbath. "Patience" by GNR isn't hard rock song either, but GNR is a hard rock band.

I think you need to listen to "The Immigrant Song" again.

There's a difference between a hard rock band having a couple of power ballads and a band like Zeppelin who were constantly experimenting with all different genres of music that couldn't even be classified as "rock" at all.

Appetite for Descrution although good was a flash in the pan

GnR Proved that they suck.

They can't reproduce live

They can't even keep members.

Soundgarden, Queenryche, even LA Guns made more of an impact.

GnR sucks.

Axl Rose ruined that band.

This thread is turning very interesting instead of ugly.

I agree with a lot of you guys.

First off "Van Halen" s/t is yet another classic You could say that the first Led Zeppelin album is also a GREAT debut.

I would love to defend PuppetKing here. After all I just got done listening to my gold MFSL LIES cd.

Come on man it's great.

ORAL SEX, I mean AXL ROSE (you have to love that anagram) did have a great voice. Key word here is "did."

I saw Guns N Roses open for Aerosmith in 1988 in Concord Ca. Axl's mic crapped out on him during the second song. I stood there and watched him have a fit. He took his microphone stand and slammed it into a speaker and walked off the stage.

We had to hear, let's see if my memory serves me correctly, "Mr. Brownstone" and "It's So Easy" without vocals. Yep the band kept playing their set list without Axl or is it AXHOLE?

Anyway the bitch came back on stage and finished out the short set list.

I have seen them many more times with Matt on drums and was also very unimpressed. Except for one time..........................

I remember one great event and I must share with you. PuppetKing if you read this, this story is for you!

I remember getting a call around 7:00 in the morning in like 1990 I think. It was my girlfriend at the time and she woke my ass up out of bed to tell me that she just heard on the radio that Guns N Roses tickets were going to go on sale at 8:30 am for a USE YOUR ILLUSION Warm Up Tour at the Warfield.

I "rose" to the the occasion and jumped in my Mustang and went into the city.

So there I was. Standing in a long line waiting to buy tickets in front of the Warfield. You could only buy two tickets each. That was it. MTV was there man with there cameras interviewing fans and covering this rare event.

I remember standing in line and seeing this very familiar gentleman cruising around in black sunglasses and I baby blue collared shirt. He was in front of a "junk" store by the Warfield pretending to look at postcards on an outside rack. Well guys it was Bill Graham!

Classic!

Anyway I got my tickets for this Warm Up Show and thet tickets are cool. I still have my stubs somewhere. The tickets are about ths size of this white box that we type in with the killer GNR logo on them.

The show was amazing. It was the best GNR show I ever saw and it was a warm up. No bullshit from Axl. I was so close to SLASH I could see the track marks in his arm. Seriously.

There is one more thing I would like to share. Before the show I left my ex bitch at our seats to get a couple of beers. Well I was walking fast down the aisle back to my seat and I bumped into to a dude in a baby blue collared shirt and spilled my beer all over him.

Yep you guessed it. I accidentally bumped into Bill Graham and spilt some beer on him. I said "Sorry dude" and he just grunted and kept walking.

I remember that show like it was yesterday. Good times.

I know that a lot of you hate AXL and HATE GNR but to me I will always love them.

Don't get me wrong I hated "The Spaghetti Incident" but everything else Guns N Roses has done as been ROCKING!!

Hmmmmmmm........................

LED ZEPPELIN VS GUNS N FOKKING ROSES???

Hard to compare.

DEEP PURPLE IS THE REAL FIRST "HARD ROCK BAND."

I would have to agree with the kid, PuppetKing.

To me Led Zeppelin was a PROGRESSIVE ROCK BAND.

NOT HARD ROCK.

GNR came out of the gate with APPETITE and kicked the world's ass.

That "Live Like A Suicide" cassette or EP on vinyl is worth a pretty penny right now. I guess that is their REAL first release but hey it's on LIES now.

I cannot tell a LIE!

Axl may be a prick and Matt is surely no STEVE ADLER and they did go through way too many personnel changes and the new album will NEVER get released and AXL looks like a moron with those dreads, but man, GUNS N ROSES WAS GREAT!!!

BOTTOM LINE!!

Let's get ugly Forum Friends!!

As AXL would say,

"GET IN THE RING MOTHERFOKKER!"

Cheers!!

trink39.gif

Hey I saw them too when they opened for Aerosmith in 1988, they were awesome!! Raw & like a chainsaw! One of the best shows ever.

I think it is safe to say they didn't always suck live. When they were on, they were the best, when they weren't-suckage!!

I saw them with Metallica on the Illusion tour & ya know they were good, but the 88 show was incredible. Much better. All cylinders were firing. They were just hit & miss. Have you guys seen live at the Ritz in 88?? Awesome! When they first started out I think they were better. The illusion tour was so controlled music wise & less spontanious IMO. I definately prefer Adlers rawness on the drums myself. Illion tour was decent, less spontanious & energetic.

I bought recently the live in Tokyo dvd. It is horrible. My husband & I looked at each other & just ended up turning it off. The more he toured he became so scripted & conscience of his moves. The sound & music played live went downhill.

Gnr in 88 were incredible. They had a few bad shows, but man when they were on, they were on. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 18 2007, 07:33 PM)
They had some stuff that would be in that category, but their reach and influence went way beyond that...they had a lot of Middle Eastern experiments, some folk and blues, even some funk and reggae...they were an extremely diverse band, I think it's unfair to them to just call them "hard rock" or "heavy metal."

Sorry for the dogpile but Led Zeppelin is hard rock. As a matter of fact, VH1 recently ran a four part serious of the history of heavy metal. The two main bands at the core of heavy metal are Black Sabboth and Led Zeppelin. If you were a hard rock or heavy metal band, your roots would be traced to one of the two.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Apr 18 2007, 10:27 PM)
ORAL SEX, I mean AXL ROSE (you have to love that anagram) did have a great voice. Key word here is "did."

No, I saw him about 5 months ago, and he still did have a great voice.

I loved Appetite when it came out although I haven't listened to it in a long time. Mr. Brownstone was my favorite from the album.

Zep is hard rock and Physical Grafitti might be the best hard rock album ever.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 19 2007, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Apr 18 2007, 10:27 PM)
ORAL SEX, I mean AXL ROSE (you have to love that anagram) did have a great voice.  Key word here is "did."

No, I saw him about 5 months ago, and he still did have a great voice.

Hey Puppet!

I have a friend who lives up in Seattle who also LOVES GNR!

I have to admit he just saw them up there and gave me a raving review of the show. Not only did Axl sound great he was at the gig on time!

His opinion like yours has motivated me to make sure if GNR comes back to the Bay Area that there is no doubt that I will go.

You are not alone dude.

There are others who think that Axl can still belt it out.

I love the some "You Could Be Mine." Excellent drum to Slash intro.

I remember when that song was on MTV every hour for TERMINATOR 2.

Classic song, classic movie!

Cheers!

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Apr 19 2007, 12:52 PM)
Sorry, but I have to disagree with the topic creator... I don't see Appetite as the best hard rock (a pretty pointless title anyways) album... or even that good of an album at all. Not a GN'R fan...

Just my opinion.

That's ok man, we are here to express our opinions through the love or hate of our different musical tastes. Again when I first heard APPETITE I hated it. Now I will forever love it as one of the best rock records ever made.

On that note though I love your avatar.

"Scanners" is yet another classic film.

Cronenberg rules!!

Sincerely,

VIDEODROME

Appetite was a fresh alternative to a genre that was dominated by quite a few "metal" posers at the time. It was a grittier sound than most of those other bands.

Back in Black is amazing, but in terms of hard rock, NOTHING beats Appetite for Destruction.

G's n' f'ing R's, man!

Hmm...you just broke me off my Snakes and Arrows fix to go listen to Paradise City.

Appetite is a sweet piece of work. "Paradise City" rocks like a mofo.

Too bad Axl Rose makes me wanna heave. 062802puke_prv.gif It's just difficult for me to find any redeeming value in GnR.

This record still withstands the test of time. I would say this album is in the TOP TEN OF ALL TIME HARD ROCK RECORDS!

I was going to start a new thread about "Appetite For Destruction" but for some reason I knew I had already written one on here.

But wow! All the way back to 2007???? It's been 7 years plus since we talked about this EPIC album!

i was bored today so I plugged in my Solo Beats into my iPhone and selected "Appetite." I fuckking played the whole album on the drums today!

It's been like 20 years since I did this. I must say that I was shocked how my brain could remember each song. Not perfect of course but I got through each song with no problem.

Adler was an amazing underrated drummer. The way he was able to incorporate the cowbell throughout the whole album is quite intriguing and fun to play!

"Rocket Queen" kicks serious ass. Personally every song is a hard rock masterpiece. "Sweet Child O Mine" may have been overplayed back then but man that song is still awesome to my ears. Real Hard Rock Records never get old!!

GUNS N ROSES FUCKKING RULES!

Sad how it all turned out!

I saw the Axe GNR in Vegas at The Joint. It was so bad Wendy and I walked out after like 6 songs. Axl didn't even sing on every song!!!!

Sorry to be a broken record but did you know the anagram for AXL ROSE is ORAL SEX?

This record still withstands the test of time. I would say this album is in the TOP TEN OF ALL TIME HARD ROCK RECORDS!

I was going to start a new thread about "Appetite For Destruction" but for some reason I knew I had already written one on here.

But wow! All the way back to 2007???? It's been 7 years plus since we talked about this EPIC album!

i was bored today so I plugged in my Solo Beats into my iPhone and selected "Appetite." I fuckking played the whole album on the drums today!

It's been like 20 years since I did this. I must say that I was shocked how my brain could remember each song. Not perfect of course but I got through each song with no problem.

Adler was an amazing underrated drummer. The way he was able to incorporate the cowbell throughout the whole album is quite intriguing and fun to play!

"Rocket Queen" kicks serious ass. Personally every song is a hard rock masterpiece. "Sweet Child O Mine" may have been overplayed back then but man that song is still awesome to my ears. Real Hard Rock Records never get old!!

GUNS N ROSES FUCKKING RULES!

Sad how it all turned out!

I saw the Axe GNR in Vegas at The Joint. It was so bad Wendy and I walked out after like 6 songs. Axl didn't even sing on every song!!!!

Sorry to be a broken record but did you know the anagram for AXL ROSE is ORAL SEX?

If you don't get fired up when you hear those opening, echoing notes of Welcome to the Jungle, call 911 and summon an ambulance. You might be dead. :gumby:

• Like 1