OUT OF THE CRADLE

Rushman14

Much to my surprise, many people have listed "Out Of The Cradle" as they're least favorite of Vapor Trails. I'm a bit shocked as it is tied with Secret Touch as my favorite, especially the end fadout section when Neil is going off with those killer drum fills. It's a great album closer and makes the hair on the back of neck stand up.

Speak up "Out Of The Cradle" fans! 1022.gif

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, keep in mind too that SOMETHING has to get listed as "least favorite," so in lots of cases that might just be relative to other great songs on the album. For me (I voted for Peaceable Kingdom) there isn't a single weak song on the album...YES, including Sweet Miracle, which I love. So for me to even say PK as my choice is just having to name something.

It's an incredibly even and consistent album to me.

trink39.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 21 2007, 10:54 AM)
Well, keep in mind too that SOMETHING has to get listed as "least favorite," so in lots of cases that might just be relative to other great songs on the album.  For me (I voted for Peaceable Kingdom) there isn't a single weak song on the album...YES, including Sweet Miracle, which I love.  So for me to even say PK as my choice is just having to name something.

trink39.gif

I thought "how it is" would easily take it.

Endlessly Rocking! 1022.gif

Oh yeah, it's definitely one of my favorites and a really good album closer.

I like Alex's guitar in that last part of the song as it takes over the notes "hummed" by Geddy earlier in the song.

Everytime I hear this last section of the song I get this great visual in my mind of Neil on his motor bike as he drives up and away into the tall pines of the Cascade mountains of the pacific northwest and the fans are waving goodbye to him.

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Mar 21 2007, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 21 2007, 10:54 AM)
Well, keep in mind too that SOMETHING has to get listed as "least favorite," so in lots of cases that might just be relative to other great songs on the album.  For me (I voted for Peaceable Kingdom) there isn't a single weak song on the album...YES, including Sweet Miracle, which I love.  So for me to even say PK as my choice is just having to name something.

trink39.gif

I thought "how it is" would easily take it.

Endlessly Rocking! 1022.gif

That's got a cool groove to it. tongue.gif Probably my toughest album to pick a "weakest" from. That says more about consistency of material than greatness...because even an average record (which VT is not, IMO) can be consistent.

My least favourite track on VT depends on which one I select at random.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's like picking your favourite turd biggrin.gif

There that's kept me away from the wife and kid for another 30 seconds. doo doo der der doo doo der der Livin in the paa-ast

QUOTE (Nickslikk2112 @ Mar 21 2007, 02:37 PM)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's like picking your favourite turd biggrin.gif

There that's kept me away from the wife and kid for another 30 seconds. doo doo der der doo doo der der Livin in the paa-ast

You'd know all about picking turds.

Although I agree with what Neil was trying to say, I think "The Stars Look Down" is the weakest VT track.

More worthless tripe. confused13.gif

QUOTE (King Rygar @ Mar 21 2007, 08:03 PM)

More worthless tripe. confused13.gif

And your post isn't?

I get it, your talking Vapor Trails biggrin.gif

Quick question, are you under 40? If so what are you doing listening to Rush, pick somebody from your own cultural milieu. If you are over 40 then you should be sitting at a computer keyboard all day long complaing about how Rush are shit compared to what they used to be

Edited by Nickslikk2112

QUOTE (quickfree @ Mar 21 2007, 04:55 PM)
Its one of the better album closers in recent years. Much better than "You Bet Your Life" or "Everyday Glory".

goodpost.gif

I agree w/ all that.

And Ironically gedrulz, again I agree w/ you. Stars is the weakest song on a very consistent album.

Out Of The Cradle is my third favorite after Earthshine and Ghost Rider. It's a real toe tapper and Geddy's bass work towards the end gives me chills. I also love Alex's playful little riff at the end.

LOL...well, after reading all of the posts on here, I was skeptical about saying my piece. But, I love discussing Rush, so I will.

I am one of the few that believes the header of this thread. I personally believe that Out of The Cradle and Peaceable Kingdom are the two weakest tracks on the album. (lol...here come the flamers! scared.gif )

I don't know why...but these two songs just haven't 'HIT' me yet like every Rush song does at one point. I guess they are late bloomers with me...because I honestly like every Rush song. I too, think VT is very consistant as an album overall.

These two songs are no different...as I like them also, but I certainly don't rank them among the best on VT. I can say that with ease, which is generally tough with Rush songs in general.

All I am saying is that if someone asked me to name the top 10 tracks on VT, both 'Cradle' and 'Kingdom' would NOT make my list! unsure.gif

Now...off I go to try and re-discover these two tracks!! 1287.gif

Wow.

How It Is appeals to me as one of the strongest trackson VT, it's a very up-tempo song , love the chorus. I know alot of you would rather hear Alex play a heavy chord, Neil do his usual drum gymnastics and Geddy shred and shriek, I'm all for it as well.

This song proved Rush had emotionally compelling music in them as well. It balances very dark lyrics and music that envokes a sort celtic melody that almost...dare I say it...makes you want to dance [gasp!] tongue.gif Sames goes for Out Of The Cradle, it rocks.

Hey, it's ok. Vapor Trails is a good CD, there are very few weak spots despite all the mastering atrocities.

My "least" is Peacable Kindom, even though that riff in the end blows all the riffs away on the album. cool.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 21 2007, 02:53 PM)
Although I agree with what Neil was trying to say, I think "The Stars Look Down" is the weakest VT track.

yes.gif

It's one of the more uplifting songs on an other wise dark album, at least for the most part. It's really catching. I love the lines about the breath of electricity and all that jazz. Oh, and Geddy's intonation is great, he sounds not only happy, but... it's puts a really odd euphoric picture in my head... an electric... aura orb thingy.. it's pretty sweet!

smilies-8579.png

I love "Out of the Cradle". When I first heard VT, it ranked pretty low. But it's now one of my two ir three favorites.

"Stars Look Down" is the only below average song on the disc. It's the only song I make no attempt to listen to.