Album of the moment

fledgehog

QUOTE (Sonilink @ Mar 26 2007, 02:37 PM)
http://www.popmusik.de/images/king_crimson_red_0.jpg

simply amazing

King Crimson music = the best music. Ever. They don't compromise. (Especially not with each other.) They experiment with sonic innovation in ways that are always unheard of and centuries ahead of its time. When they rock out, they blow me away. When they play ballads, they reduce me to tears. They use musical juxtaposition both more deliberately and more obviously then anything else I've ever heard. All hail King Crimson!!!

They are the Wagner of rock!

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Finbar @ Mar 26 2007, 03:50 PM)

simply amazing

King Crimson music = the best music. Ever. They don't compromise. (Especially not with each other.) They experiment with sonic innovation in ways that are always unheard of and centuries ahead of its time. When they rock out, they blow me away. When they play ballads, they reduce me to tears. They use musical juxtaposition both more deliberately and more obviously then anything else I've ever heard. All hail King Crimson!!!

I like every line-up of King Crimson, but it is this one I wish continued for a little while longer. This album mesmerizes me everytime I hear it, especially "Fallen Angel" and "Starless".

QUOTE (Finbar @ Mar 26 2007, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (rushman14 @ Mar 26 2007, 01:10 PM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Mar 26 2007, 10:51 AM)
QUOTE (rushman14 @ Mar 26 2007, 12:00 PM)
I've been on a Gentle Giant kick lately. "Octopus" kicks ass. This is the import cover that Roger Dean did.

http://mitkadem3.homestead.com/files/gentle_giant_octopus_uk_coverjpg.jpg

I have that album, but not that cover. I have this cover:

http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/G/Gentle_Giant/gentle_giant_octof.jpg

Great album. My favourite cut is Raconteur Troubadour.

Hey Finbar you missed my Gentle Giant poll. Find it and weigh in. trink39.gif

Er, it's the only Gentle Giant album I own.. blush4.gif It was a Christmas gift from my brother who told the clerk about some of the other music I like.

Since your a keyboard player, the following albums are essential listening:

Gentle Giant - In A Glass House

Gentle Giant - Power and the Glory

Gentle Giant - Free Hand

Camel - Rain Dances

Camel - Moonmadness

Camel - Snow Goose

Camel - Mirage

Get on it! common001.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 26 2007, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Mar 26 2007, 03:50 PM)

simply amazing

I like every line-up of King Crimson, but it is this one I wish continued for a little while longer. This album mesmerizes me everytime I hear it, especially "Fallen Angel" and "Starless".

Would you have liked to hear what it would've sounded like if Ian McDonald rejoined and Robert Fripp left

That's what was going to happen, to my knowledge. The Red tour would've rendered Red a completely unplayable song.... It'd be interesting nonetheless, methinks, but I thank my lucky stars every day that I'm graced with King Crimson's music, in whatever form. smile.gif

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Mar 26 2007, 04:21 PM)
I've been on a Gentle Giant kick lately. "Octopus" kicks ass. This is the import cover that Roger Dean did.

Er, it's the only Gentle Giant album I own.. blush4.gif It was a Christmas gift from my brother who told the clerk about some of the other music I like.

Gentle Giant - Free Hand

Camel - Rain Dances

Camel - Moonmadness

Camel - Snow Goose

Camel - Mirage

Get on it! common001.gif

Er, second confession time... blush4.gif blush4.gif blush4.gif I'm a terrible keyboard player. The most complex stuff I play in my band is stuff written and drilled into my head by Byron, the group's bass player, who can run circles around most people I know on the piano and doesn't even play it in the band. (He's also an incredible bassist with a very free style, of course.)

I will keep those in mind, I've definitely been meaning to pick up some Camel. (I have none. sad.gif) Right now, though, the music on the top of my list to pick up is some Dream Theater, Opeth and Happy Family. The former two my older brother got me into, and though I know them quite well, I don't own any albums. (I do have an AWESOME Opeth DVD though. 1022.gif) The latter I chanced upon oun Amazon, listened to samples, and blew me away.

QUOTE (Finbar @ Mar 26 2007, 04:35 PM)

Gentle Giant - Free Hand

Camel - Rain Dances

Camel - Moonmadness

Camel - Snow Goose

Camel - Mirage

Get on it! common001.gif

Er, second confession time... blush4.gif blush4.gif blush4.gif I'm a terrible keyboard player. The most complex stuff I play in my band is stuff written and drilled into my head by Byron, the group's bass player, who can run circles around most people I know on the piano and doesn't even play it in the band. (He's also an incredible bassist with a very free style, of course.)

I will keep those in mind, I've definitely been meaning to pick up some Camel. (I have none. sad.gif) Right now, though, the music on the top of my list to pick up is some Dream Theater, Opeth and Happy Family. The former two my older brother got me into, and though I know them quite well, I don't own any albums. (I do have an AWESOME Opeth DVD though. 1022.gif) The latter I chanced upon oun Amazon, listened to samples, and blew me away.

Opeth are great mate...

You can't go wrong with those guys...

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 26 2007, 05:04 PM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Mar 26 2007, 04:35 PM)

Gentle Giant - Free Hand

Camel - Rain Dances

Camel - Moonmadness

Camel - Snow Goose

Camel - Mirage

Get on it! common001.gif

Opeth are great mate...

You can't go wrong with those guys...

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Yeah, I saw this nice starters boxset with, like, four albums for $40 the other day. If it's still there next time I drop by the music store, I'll definitely pick it up! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Mar 29 2007, 02:33 PM)
Frank Gambale- Brave New Guitar

really liking this. hes a more tasteful player than i thought he would be.

That's a good album, early Frank was great...

A Present for the Future is also good as is LIVE!

Recently stumbled across some old cassettes and have been listening to Billy Joe's 52nd Street, which I hadn't heard in a long time. The deep tracks are the best.

Thinking about a good long listen to The Besnard Lakes Are the Dark Horse by The Besnard Lakes yet again, but I think I'll be sated with "Because Tonight" and "Cedric's War" for the time being.

Archived