Spoiler / Rumor - from a good source

cygnify

Well, I had posted this over on Cp and rushisaband.com so I might as well add it here (with perhaps a bit more detail...) I am not one to really partake in the rumor-mill, but I got some news from a friend that I just thought I'd pass along. Forgive me if I don't discuss some of the details - but it is pretty privileged info and I will only say what I am comfortable with. Additionally, thus far I have only had a very brief conversation with him about the disc - I hope to learn more in the next couple days.

A good friend of mine works in the music industry (for a while in NYC and now in LA.) He has worked with some major artists. One of which is an acquaintance of a member of Rush. Anyway, through this connection he has heard the new CD. All of it. My friend does not post in any forums online and is not a friend of Nick R (as other rumors have been posted by these types of connections.) Thus, this info is independent of other "sources." I can also state that my friend has no real reason to lie or joke around with me about this - he is quite comfortable in his job and has no motive such as too be "cool" etc. So, you can take it with a grain of salt, but for me I see it as pretty much solid fact (however, you should note that what my friend heard is not the final packaged CD with labels, etc. thus there is always the possibility of change.)

Anyway, some of the spoiler comments that my friend gave:

1.) There are two instrumentals on the disc. To him (a guitarist) they don't sound like anything Rush has done before.

2.) "There are some classic Geddy vocal moments on the disc"

3.) There are plenty of guitar solos on the CD

4.) Neil's playing is more developed than on VT and he has been pushed further

5.) In general, my friend was extremely excited about this CD and easily places it amongst his favorite Rush releases - Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves. He said it definitely has a classic Rush vibe.

6.) There is very little in the way of keyboards on the disc

Anyway, take it for what it is - try to keep your expectations in line - some of what he said is more subjective in nature. Time will tell. But for fun I'll post any updates to my rumor thread here.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Feb 26 2007, 05:02 PM)
This is the second rumour we've heard that said there were two instrumentals, so I guess it's pretty likely...

I'm very surprised about the possibility of Rush putting 2 instrumentals on this album!

Maybe they're making up for the one that was supposed to be on VT (later known as 'Peaceable Kingdom')!!? confused13.gif

Either way, I have no complaints about it!! 1022.gif

Well, I'm guessing that there is at least some keyboards. I can live with that.

I wonder what one of the instrumentals will be called?

"And another thing..." laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 26 2007, 06:10 PM)
A little keyboards as "window dressing" coupled with the rumoured appearance of mellotron will be enough for me, it sounds like about as much keyboards as they had on Permanent Waves which is fine...

keyboards are somewhat prominent on jacob's ladder. i'd be thrilled if they used as much keyboards as are on PW, but i wouldn't dare to expect even that much usage...

This better not be another one of those joke threads. Those are SO getting old. I'll definitely take this with a grain of salt, but if this is in Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures territory? OMG!!! Can you imagine these boards lighting up after people hear this??

After reading all those possible spoilers again, I really have my doubts about this source. Just because everything listed has already been either rumored before or even talked about by Rush. Especially the part about Neil's playing being pushed even further than on VT. What are the chances this guy who heard it would use almost the exact expression that Neil used when describing working with Nick R? Being pushed to his limits. And even the very little keyboard part was supposedly said by Geddy Lee(window dressing). Give me some new information if you want to impress me. If this thread is real, then almost all the rumors we've heard about the new album are absolutely true. What are the chances of that?

Well, I can certainly understand some skepticism regarding this thread, and I too have seen each of these opinions about the work posted elsewhere; as well as the rumor about the dual instrumentals. I talked with my friend again about his listening experience and tried to politely pry for any more concrete news - something that might be new. The problem is, what he listened to (one time only) was basically a CD-R and he was in the presence a band member for this listening, after which the band member retained the CD. Other than trying to maintain a professional composure in this situation (he is a Rush fanatic,) as well as only getting one listen, trying to absorb everything and contribute to the conversation without drooling or telling a member of Rush to "be quiet while I'm listening to this!" and not having any track information, etc. There are limited things that anyone could reasonably come away with. In addition to the larger impressions listed above, he recalled some conversation that some vintage gear was used during the recording (just a touch of analog synths, tube amps, classic neve board, etc.) He recalled there were some vocal multi-tracks - but they were not excessive and seemed to be used only where they fit. He recalled one song was a little longer - perhaps 6-7 minutes. He did not recall the number of tracks. He did recall some vocal hooks from choruses of songs - but without hearing it a second time cannot be sure and didn't want to tell me.

Regarding the veracity of my friend's story - all I can say is that I'm 100% sure that he is close (i.e. interacts personally and professionally) with a professional musician that I am 100% sure is very close with a particular member of Rush (as has been acknowledged by this member of Rush in a public setting.) That's all I can say about the relationship. I can also vouch that my friend has never lied to me and has no reason to do so.

So, take it for what it is - perhaps independent verification of some of the rumors and a fan's impression of the disc upon one listening.

Oh yeah, I asked him what he meant by "vibe" of the older albums. He said there was some discussion about the direction they were taking and it was certainly not an attempt to recreate the past - but rather place more focus on some of the tools of that era and integrate them with all they have learned in more recent work. "Let Rush be Rush."

He said if he were to shuffle through the entire Rush catalog he would find certain albums where the band was in development, or in transition, or perhaps searching for something new, and then there were certain discs that it was obvious that the band had "arrived." He would label this effort as an "arrival" along similar lines to the PeW, MP albums.

Archived