Spoiler / Rumor - from a good source

cygnify

Which band member did he listen with. And if he ranks this with Permanent Waves/ Moving Pictures this is gonna be some kinda album. I'm also curious as to whether he liked Vapor Trails or not. If he was luke-warm with VT, then this CD is gonna blow that one away. And if this stuff isn't true, shame on you for perpetuating these false rumors. No offense. I'm just playing Devil's advocate. My hopes are high for this and I'm not very patient for those Joke threads. You do sound like you're genuine though.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Feb 27 2007, 05:39 PM)
Which band member did he listen with. And if he ranks this with Permanent Waves/ Moving Pictures this is gonna be some kinda album. I'm also curious as to whether he liked Vapor Trails or not. If he was luke-warm with VT, then this CD is gonna blow that one away. And if this stuff isn't true, shame on you for perpetuating these false rumors. No offense. I'm just playing Devil's advocate. My hopes are high for this and I'm not very patient for those Joke threads. You do sound like you're genuine though.

Well, I've already said everything I can about my friend's relationship to Rush and seeing as I haven't specifically mentioned which member, it probably means I cannot say - and for a very good reason. That's all I have to say about it.

I didn't post this thread as a joke. If the rumor ends up being false - say there is only one instrumental on the disc - well, my friend would owe me some pretty good explanation. I suppose I would be just a little embarrassed, but I would have no shame in posting the rumor as told to me. Certainly there's alot more BS posted online. I am placing some faith in my friend, and do so having first hand knowledge of his working relationship with others in the music industry that also have working relationships with Rush. The circumstances by which he heard the disc however are based on his personal relationship with someone (which started in a professional context) who has a personal connection to the member of Rush. So, yeah, I feel pretty solid about what he told me.

Regarding VT, my friend is an Engineer / Producer, so let's just say he was pretty nauseated by the sound quality of the final product. He was also not fond of the vocal approach of the disc in terms of tons of multi-tracking and the delivery of certain choruses. He is also a guitarist and missed Alex's solos and overall thought the production and performance were on the raw (or even "sloppy") side. To say he was lukewarm would be an understatment.

I really don't respond to comments, but I feel the need. 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif and more, you are pretty damn close. I have heard it all.. thanks abc trudriv,,,,....getting ready for getty.

I can ask about Geddy's bass - but honestly, what do you think anyone could possibly say that's only heard the album one time in such an unusual circumstance?

It will be likely more along the lines of "It was awesome, he rocks out. The whole disc is great" rather than "Geddy plays this great groove in 5/8 and improvises across six keys before exploding in a run of 64th notes and popping accents for an 11 second bass solo" He did not mention any bass solo specifically (he would likely have remembered that) - but obviously he remembers the fact that there are guitar solos as they are more prevalent... smile.gif His comments about Neil's playing jive with what Neil said on his site, and my friend told me multiple times that his playing stands out big time.

As an Engineer / Producer, my buddy was extremely pleased with the overall sound quality. I know that that means it is not overcompressed with great range and resolution. Thus, the bass likely sounds great. That and the fact that it's Geddy freakin' Lee playing it!!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (MUSICinTheABsTrAcT @ Feb 26 2007, 09:54 PM)
QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Feb 26 2007, 09:49 PM)
sounds great!!!

i really like the part about the "plenty of guitar solos"

Yeah, but I hope they're not reminiscent of the 20-second Alex solos that were 'shoe-horned' into much of Grace Under Pressure...

Bah! Those solos are bad-freakin'-ass & fit those songs perfectly, IMO.

QUOTE (Xabiche @ Feb 28 2007, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (MUSICinTheABsTrAcT @ Feb 26 2007, 09:54 PM)
QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Feb 26 2007, 09:49 PM)
sounds great!!!

i really like the part about the "plenty of guitar solos"

Yeah, but I hope they're not reminiscent of the 20-second Alex solos that were 'shoe-horned' into much of Grace Under Pressure...

Bah! Those solos are bad-freakin'-ass & fit those songs perfectly, IMO.

Agreed.

I'm excited about this report and I don't see much reason to doubt it, even if it is the wild world of the Internet. My guess is that Snakes and Arrows will really be the culmination (hereto) of the band's musical progress, where everything comes together and coalesces into a modern progressive rock masterpiece.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Mar 1 2007, 02:34 AM)
My guess is that Snakes and Arrows will really be the culmination (hereto) of the band's musical progress, where everything comes together and coalesces into a modern progressive rock masterpiece.

That is the impression that I'm getting. 1022.gif 653.gif trink39.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (cygnify @ Feb 26 2007, 04:47 PM)
Well, I had posted this over on Cp and rushisaband.com so I might as well add it here (with perhaps a bit more detail...) I am not one to really partake in the rumor-mill, but I got some news from a friend that I just thought I'd pass along. Forgive me if I don't discuss some of the details - but it is pretty privileged info and I will only say what I am comfortable with. Additionally, thus far I have only had a very brief conversation with him about the disc - I hope to learn more in the next couple days.

A good friend of mine works in the music industry (for a while in NYC and now in LA.) He has worked with some major artists. One of which is an acquaintance of a member of Rush. Anyway, through this connection he has heard the new CD. All of it. My friend does not post in any forums online and is not a friend of Nick R (as other rumors have been posted by these types of connections.) Thus, this info is independent of other "sources." I can also state that my friend has no real reason to lie or joke around with me about this - he is quite comfortable in his job and has no motive such as too be "cool" etc. So, you can take it with a grain of salt, but for me I see it as pretty much solid fact (however, you should note that what my friend heard is not the final packaged CD with labels, etc. thus there is always the possibility of change.)

Anyway, some of the spoiler comments that my friend gave:

1.) There are two instrumentals on the disc. To him (a guitarist) they don't sound like anything Rush has done before.

2.) "There are some classic Geddy vocal moments on the disc"

3.) There are plenty of guitar solos on the CD

4.) Neil's playing is more developed than on VT and he has been pushed further

5.) In general, my friend was extremely excited about this CD and easily places it amongst his favorite Rush releases - Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves. He said it definitely has a classic Rush vibe.

6.) There is very little in the way of keyboards on the disc

Anyway, take it for what it is - try to keep your expectations in line - some of what he said is more subjective in nature. Time will tell. But for fun I'll post any updates to my rumor thread here.

Thanks! Great info.!

Archived