Saturday Morning Cartoons

Tom Sawyer

Remember those glory days?!!!

My son (soon to be 7) and I were talking about cartoons, he's seen many of the Looney Tunes, some Jetsons, I even picked up a VHS tape one time at the used book store of some Rocky and Bullwinkle. He loved it!!

They don't make 'em like that any more.

I was asking him if he had seen any Yogi Bear, he said he hadn't. (what a shame) I added it to Netflix queue.

Then I got to thinking about "all" the great ones, Mr. Peabody and Sherman, Mr. Magoo. (haha) Klondyke Kat, Josie and the Pussy cats, The Groovy Goolies. Aaaah, the good old days of cartoon Saturday mornings.

QUOTE (pinkfloyd1973 @ Feb 15 2007, 03:33 PM)

My son (soon to be 7) and I were talking about cartoons, he's seen many of the Looney Tunes, some Jetsons, I even picked up a VHS tape one time at the used book store of some Rocky and Bullwinkle. He loved it!!

I was asking him if he had seen any Yogi Bear, he said he hadn't. (what a shame) I added it to Netflix queue.

Then I got to thinking about "all" the great ones, Mr. Peabody and Sherman, Mr. Magoo. (haha) Klondyke Kat, Josie and the Pussy cats, The Groovy Goolies. Aaaah, the good old days of cartoon Saturday mornings.

Bugs was my favorite...

"Overture, candlelight, this is it, our night of nights..."

I also liked the original Scooby Doo (which my kids like now), the Wacky Racers, Mighty Mouse, Tom & Jerry, and many others....

QUOTE (owlswing @ Feb 15 2007, 03:55 PM)
Magilla Gorilla!

These kids today don't know what they're missing.

Unfortunately, many are on MySpace too much of the time.

Everybody talks about what I (as a youth) missed growing up. Well, I say that about what kids miss these days! Ah, the days of Exo-Squad and Gargoyles... Ducktails and Darkwing Duck... The Batman Animated series? It wasn't all bad.

Although I'm a sucker for Rocky, Bullwinkle and Scooby Doo. Good times.

applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Atomic.Feedback! @ Feb 16 2007, 02:14 AM)
The Batman Animated series?

Best Batman ever.

And speaking of dark vigilantes... who remembers this one? I loved it when I was a kid..

http://www.fortunecity.com/bennyhills/pun/190/dynomuttgood.jpg

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

When I watched Saturday morning shows in the 70s, it was all about live-action "Shazam" and the animated "Tarzan."

QUOTE (Batman @ Feb 16 2007, 02:51 PM)
Besides some of the ones mention.... How about Blue Falcon and Dyno-Mutt?

http://chud.com/nextraimages/ScoobyDyno9.jpg

It was the same one that I posted! Both your image and mine are missing, it seems.. Someone doesn't want Blue Falcon remembered!!!

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5893/dmms8300pg032xt2.th.jpg

QUOTE (pinkfloyd1973 @ Feb 15 2007, 03:33 PM)

Those were the glory days!

I remember in grade school how excited everyone was when the big three networks(ABC,CBS,NBC) would have there Saturday cartoon preview show on Friday night. Spotlighting the new cartoons. smile.gif

I'm not sure if this was actually a 70's cartoon but thats when I saw it: Battle of the Planets 1022.gif . Other good ones that were already mentioned: Tarzan "Lord of the Jungle", The Challenge of the Superfriends, and the 1st Scooby Doo episodes (when they played the groovy music). In the early 80's I loved Spiderman & His Amazing Friends and Dungeons & Dragons.

Anyone with fond memories of those 70's cartoons should definitely check out 'Harvey Birdman Attorney At Law' on Cartoon Network's late night Adult Swim block. Episodes include such cases as Race Bannon and Dr. Quest involved in a custody battle for Johnny Quest and Hadji, Shaggy and Scooby getting busted for possession, Fred Flintstone sustains yet another blow to his head and thinks he's a mob boss (that episode is called 'The Dabba Don'), Apache Chief from the Super Friends spills hot coffee on his crotch and can no longer 'enlarge' (the entire episode is a series of double-entendres, and it's hilarious). The first two seasons are available on DVD. Here is a link to watch part 1 of 'The Dabba Don' on YouTube.