THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

daveyt

Preview of Pats-Stillers, week 9. Go Stillers...

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/63582152/

Tom Brady and wife Gisele dressed as the Cowardly Lion and Dorothy (respectively) for Halloween. Bill Belichick and his sweetie dressed as a pirate and his wench.

Remember when the Patriots were guarded, to the point of paranoia, about their private lives? Can we go back to that? Please oh please?

Leaving Tom and Gisele aside -- and hoping that the Toto in her basket was a stuffed toy -- the most revealing thing about the Belichick photo is the background. Blackbeard and his babe are vamping it up in an office full of notebooks and binders. We should have known that Belichick cannot be bidden from his game-planning lair, even by a bodice-clad lass of low standards. Or perhaps the eyes are just instinctively drawn away from Belichick-as-randy-privateer, his right hand reaching provocatively toward the bikini zone. It's a defense mechanism that keeps the human race propagated.

Halloween costumes look silly during Halloween and completely ridiculous afterward. Our brief forays into sassy swashbuckling are best locked in a vault the moment November arrives, especially when we are dour, doughy middle-aged men. But seeing the Patriots in costume makes you wonder if they have been in disguise all year. Have the 2013 Patriots been masquerading as the 2005, 2007 or 2010 Patriots, when really they are something considerably less?

The men wearing Patriots uniforms are becoming increasingly unfamiliar. Tackle Sebastian Vollmer (ankle) joined an groaning injury list last week. Jerod Mayo is on IR. Hidden beneath the glove on Brady's lion costume are fingers that were swollen to kielbasa size against the Dolphins. The tale about Rob Gronkowski returning and everyone living happily ever after turned out to be a ghost story. No wonder Belichick won't leave the office for a photo op: It is taking all of his (and Brady's) tactical creativity to keep the Patriots in contention.

Yes, they are 6-2, but the Patriots endure long stretches where they don't defend the run well, are so-so against the pass, have no downfield passing game and make kiddie mistakes in the short passing game. And now, protection will become a bigger issue. Football Outsiders ranks the Patriots 12th in the NFL in DVOA, a fringe playoff team kept afloat by tight wins, Brady brilliance, and (perhaps just a bit) by divisional foes still frightened by the costume.

If the Patriots are masquerading, the Steelers are in no position to unmask them. All they can do is claw their way to 18-19 points and hope their defense is still scary. The Patriots may be able to carry on this pirate charade through November, if not longer. By the postseason, they hope to learn that the power to go home was within them all the time.

Edited by laughedatbytime

http://www.sportsone...ticle/63582152/

Tom Brady and wife Gisele dressed as the Cowardly Lion and Dorothy (respectively) for Halloween. Bill Belichick and his sweetie dressed as a pirate and his wench.

Remember when the Patriots were guarded, to the point of paranoia, about their private lives? Can we go back to that? Please oh please?

Leaving Tom and Gisele aside -- and hoping that the Toto in her basket was a stuffed toy -- the most revealing thing about the Belichick photo is the background. Blackbeard and his babe are vamping it up in an office full of notebooks and binders. We should have known that Belichick cannot be bidden from his game-planning lair, even by a bodice-clad lass of low standards. Or perhaps the eyes are just instinctively drawn away from Belichick-as-randy-privateer, his right hand reaching provocatively toward the bikini zone. It's a defense mechanism that keeps the human race propagated.

Halloween costumes look silly during Halloween and completely ridiculous afterward. Our brief forays into sassy swashbuckling are best locked in a vault the moment November arrives, especially when we are dour, doughy middle-aged men. But seeing the Patriots in costume makes you wonder if they have been in disguise all year. Have the 2013 Patriots been masquerading as the 2005, 2007 or 2010 Patriots, when really they are something considerably less?

The men wearing Patriots uniforms are becoming increasingly unfamiliar. Tackle Sebastian Vollmer (ankle) joined an groaning injury list last week. Jerod Mayo is on IR. Hidden beneath the glove on Brady's lion costume are fingers that were swollen to kielbasa size against the Dolphins. The tale about Rob Gronkowski returning and everyone living happily ever after turned out to be a ghost story. No wonder Belichick won't leave the office for a photo op: It is taking all of his (and Brady's) tactical creativity to keep the Patriots in contention.

Yes, they are 6-2, but the Patriots endure long stretches where they don't defend the run well, are so-so against the pass, have no downfield passing game and make kiddie mistakes in the short passing game. And now, protection will become a bigger issue. Football Outsiders ranks the Patriots 12th in the NFL in DVOA, a fringe playoff team kept afloat by tight wins, Brady brilliance, and (perhaps just a bit) by divisional foes still frightened by the costume.

If the Patriots are masquerading, the Steelers are in no position to unmask them. All they can do is claw their way to 18-19 points and hope their defense is still scary. The Patriots may be able to carry on this pirate charade through November, if not longer. By the postseason, they hope to learn that the power to go home was within them all the time.

The only prognosticators with less credibility than the "the Patriots are vulnerable this year" are the global climate change folks. But, by all means, keep up the drum beat. The Patriots are legendary for playing on perceived disrespect.

I knew this one was over when I saw Walt Coleman's visage on the screen.

So far though the Stillers are doing enough to lose on their own.

http://www.sportsone...ticle/63582152/

The only prognosticators with less credibility than the "the Patriots are vulnerable this year" are the global climate change folks. But, by all means, keep up the drum beat. The Patriots are legendary for playing on perceived disrespect.

By the way, I'm surprised you've never heard of these guys.

http://desip.igc.org/malthus/

Go Pats! :o :madra:

Guess you've got to give Brady 3 chances to pull it out for it to happen.

I think that fumble was the difference, if Ridley had kept the ball they would have got the TD.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2013/11/fumble-11.gif

Tough, tough call on that last play. The LB did make contact with Gronk, but the Panther D-back had that ball all the way. The ball would have never reached Gronk regardless of the contact. And yet, there was, by definition, illegal contact by the LB on Gronk. They couldn't have called pass interference on the LB, but "illegal contact".....I think they could have called that. Enforce a five-yard penalty and give the Patriots one more play from scrimmage. Maybe..... :huh:

Tough, tough call on that last play. The LB did make contact with Gronk, but the Panther D-back had that ball all the way. The ball would have never reached Gronk regardless of the contact. And yet, there was, by definition, illegal contact by the LB on Gronk. They couldn't have called pass interference on the LB, but "illegal contact".....I think they could have called that. Enforce a five-yard penalty and give the Patriots one more play from scrimmage. Maybe..... :huh:

I agree - Five yard penalty and a first down on 15 or so yard line -

It will be popular around here (meaning where I live, not this forum) to comment on the fact that, for the second time now, the referees have decided that the Patriots should lose a road game and made horrible calls to bring that about. That's true enough. But really, the loss last night is part of what's becoming an old story now. For the last 9 seasons, when the Patriots defense was staked to a lead late, they simply haven't been able to get off the field without giving up points, many times touchdowns.

Nice to see another BC kid get so much praise though.

The refs shouldn't decide the game. Good no call.

Considering he was mauled something should have been called and the fact that the initial contact took place a split second before Brady released the ball it should have been illegal contact. At least give them a shot on the 12 yard line. Now you set this precedent in which the last play of every game defenders can simply manhandle the receiver if he's 3 feet or more from where the ball appears to be headed.

Now you set this precedent in which the last play of every game defenders can simply manhandle the receiver if he's 3 feet or more from where the ball appears to be headed.

Referees swallowing the whistle at the end of the game is a precedent that was set before any of us were born. If Brady throws a decent ball, the penalty gets called. Much to his credit, Brady pretty much said as much in his comments. Edited by Slack jaw gaze
  • Like 1

You mean like in the Jets game? You shameless opportunist. :P

I believe I was critical of that call. But I can't find my post. I think the gist of it was that it was a bad call but that I wasn't all that upset by it.

This is two games you can blame on the refs and one you can blame on the elements. Count those as wins and maybe you can replicate your 18-1 season.

Now you set this precedent in which the last play of every game defenders can simply manhandle the receiver if he's 3 feet or more from where the ball appears to be headed.

Referees swallowing the whistle at the end of the game is a precedent that was set before any of us were born.

Especially when it comes to Hail Mary passes. The refs have obviously decided to let the "players play"....

Referees swallowing the whistle at the end of the game is a precedent that was set before any of us were born.

Especially when it comes to Hail Mary passes. The refs have obviously decided to let the "players play"....

Like you'd know anything about that.....

I believe I was critical of that call. But I can't find my post. I think the gist of it was that it was a bad call but that I wasn't all that upset by it.

This is two games you can blame on the refs and one you can blame on the elements. Count those as wins and maybe you can replicate your 18-1 season.

So your position on the enforcement of a particular rule depends on whether you like the person against whom it's enforced? OK Barack.

So your position on the enforcement of a particular rule depends on whether you like the person against whom it's enforced? OK Barack.

Is it so important to insult me that you're willing to resort to Reb "logic" to do it?

• Like 1

Is it so important to insult me that you're willing to resort to Reb "logic" to do it?

If that were the case I would have said:

So you think it's a good thing if the people who work the concession stands at Gillette Stadium lose their jobs?

If that were the case I would have said:

So you think it's a good thing if the people who work the concession stands at Gillette Stadium lose their jobs?

Of course it is...after all, we hate humanity.

Note that I didn't say that the call was OK or justified because it went against NE, just that I wasn't all that broken up over it...