THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

daveyt

They better hope they don't have to go through Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh matches their wins in the last 5 games then they will have home field. I hope that scenario happens. It will be hard to beat the steelers in Pitt. yes.gif

Our next 5 games

at Jacksonville

Jets in Pitt

at NY Giants

Baltimore in Pitt

at Buffalo

Edited by Indica

Pats last 5 games, Cake schedual

at Cleveland

Cincinnati at New England

New England at Miami

New England at N.Y. Jets

San Francisco at New England

QUOTE (Indica @ Nov 29 2004, 01:55 PM)
They better hope they don't have to go through Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh matches their wins in the last 5 games then they will have home field. I hope that scenario happens. It will be hard to beat the steelers in Pitt. yes.gif

Our next 5 games

at Jacksonville
Jets in Pitt
at NY Giants
Baltimore in Pitt
at Buffalo

If it comes down to Pats and Steelers I'll put my money on the Pats whether on the road or at home...Sure Steelers beat them this year but that was a regular season game and Pats were due to lose anyways....The playoffs are a different ball of wax....If Steelers beat them in playoffs my hat off to them but til then, Pats are world champs....I'm not a Pats' fan btw, just speaking objectively

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 29 2004, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Nov 29 2004, 01:55 PM)

Our next 5 games

at Jacksonville
Jets in Pitt
at NY Giants
Baltimore in Pitt
at Buffalo

If it comes down to Pats and Steelers I'll put my money on the Pats whether on the road or at home...Sure Steelers beat them this year but that was a regular season game and Pats were due to lose anyways....The playoffs are a different ball of wax....If Steelers beat them in playoffs my hat off to them but til then, Pats are world champs....I'm not a Pats' fan btw, just speaking objectively

The pats have the superbowl experience no doubt. Most people will be putting money on the pats depending on the point spread of course. When Vegas makes the point spreads they try to make it so people will bet on both sides evenly, so they break even on the games that are actually won by point spread, but then they have a tie or two a week and take all the money bet on that game. Millions!!!!

With no point spread between a Steelers and Pats game, I think at least 80% of the people would put their money on the Pats so that's not really going out on a limb or anything.

I'm a steeler fan and know the pats are good but I still think it's possible to beat them again if they have the chance and they play a great game. Big Ben don't have no playoff experience at all and the games step up in Jan. The steelers have the #1 Defense and they are the #2 rushing Offense and their offense keeps the ball an average of 35:00 a game, including against the pats. That's bad ass.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 29 2004, 06:31 PM)
The Patriots are an amazing football team. Getting Dillon was a great move. He is a great player. yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

No doubt about that. Once he gets up a little speed it's hard to take him down.

Well it might not be a cake walk, New England and Pittsburgh have a tough teams ahead. The Eagles have only two games they can lose trink39.gif

This just in:

Jim Donaldson: Pats' Weis to take ND job, but will stay for playoffs

01:00 AM EST on Sunday, December 12, 2004

FOXBORO -- Irish eyes are smiling, but Patriots fans may shed a tear or two at the news that offensive coordinator Charlie Weis is about to be signed, sealed and, after today's game with Cincinnati, delivered to Notre Dame.

Negotiations on a six-year contract worth approximately $12 million were finalized last night, and Weis will to fly to South Bend, Ind., tonight.

He will be officially introduced as head coach at his alma mater at a press conference tomorrow morning, before which he will have met with members of the football team that went 6-5 this season under Ty Willingham.

But Weis will continue to coach in New England through the playoffs, a situation Bill Belichick has dealt with previously. In 1994, when he led the Browns to the playoffs -- they beat Bill Parcells' Patriots in the opening round in Cleveland -- Belichick's defensive coordinator, Nick Saban, was named coach at Michigan State.

"There was a time period there," Belichick said last week, "when [saban] also was head coach at Michigan State and did some things with them and split a little bit of time between the two. Then, when the season was over, he went to Michigan State.

"I think he handled the situation well. Nick and I talked about it. We had a good relationship. We talked about it before he interviewed for the job. We talked about it after he was offered the job. We talked about it after he accepted the job, and then we worked our way through it. I don't think it was a problem.

"The things he had to do for Michigan State, he said: 'Look, I need this amount of time to do this.' So, we worked it out. He took that time. I don't know what he did. He might have recruited. He might have hired coaches. He might have rearranged his office. I don't really know. Whatever he did were things that he felt like he needed to do and he prioritized them."

Replacing Weis will be a top priority for Belichick in the coming year, but it doesn't come as a surprise.

While Weis is headed for South Bend, it could just as easily have been Cleveland, or Miami, or any of the several other NFL cities expected to have job openings by early next month.

At the age of 48, and after 15 highly-successful seasons as an NFL assistant -- he has made four trips to the Super Bowl, winning three, the last two as offensive coordinator in New England -- Weis has earned the chance to be a head coach.

He became a prime candidate at Notre Dame after the Irish failed to land Utah coach Urban Meyer.

Weis met Tuesday night with the Rev. John I. Jenkins, who'll replace the the Rev. Edward Malloy as Notre Dame's president in June, and director of athletics Kevin White, then spoke again Friday, by phone, with university representatives.

Negotiations between the university and Weis' agent, Bob Lamont, were concluded last night.

Weis, who graduated from Notre Dame in 1978, but didn't play football for the Fighting Irish, has earned a reputation for offensive creativity and ingenuity. Under his tutelage, Tom Brady, a sixth-round draft choice out of Michigan in 2000, has developed into a quarterback who has been the MVP in two Super Bowls. Although the Patriots last season did not have a single offensive player voted to the Pro Bowl, they outscored Carolina in the Super Bowl, 32-29.

"What I like about offense," Weis said recently, "is you get the chance to decide what you're going to do, and the defense has to react to it. I like to be aggressive. I like to be the guy forcing the issue.

"I think a lot of offensive coaches have taken a "we can't do this because they're going to do that," approach. Here, we are just the opposite. We say: 'We're going to do this. Let's see what they try to do to stop it.' "

Opponents have had trouble stopping the New England offense as designed by Weis. The Patriots won their first Super Bowl in 2001, then won again last season, when they started a winning streak that reached an NFL-record 21 in a row. New England has won 26 of its last 27 going into today's game against the Bengals.

Before running back Corey Dillon came to New England this season, Weis often had to rely on Brady's arm.

"I love to move the football," Weis said. "I'm known [for passing] because that's what we've done to move the ball. I want to throw it because it works. If it's not working, I don't want to be throwing it. A lot of it has to do with what players you have and what you can do against who you're playing against."

Weis will face a difficult schedule next season, including the likes of Southern Cal, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Tennessee and Purdue.

As for the Patriots, they'll face the difficult task of replacing him.

Good luck Charlie!

QUOTE (Batman @ Dec 12 2004, 09:37 AM)
This just in:
Jim Donaldson: Pats' Weis to take ND job, but will stay for playoffs

01:00 AM EST on Sunday, December 12, 2004

FOXBORO -- Irish eyes are smiling, but Patriots fans may shed a tear or two at the news that offensive coordinator Charlie Weis is about to be signed, sealed and, after today's game with Cincinnati, delivered to Notre Dame.

Negotiations on a six-year contract worth approximately $12 million were finalized last night, and Weis will to fly to South Bend, Ind., tonight.

He will be officially introduced as head coach at his alma mater at a press conference tomorrow morning, before which he will have met with members of the football team that went 6-5 this season under Ty Willingham.

But Weis will continue to coach in New England through the playoffs, a situation Bill Belichick has dealt with previously. In 1994, when he led the Browns to the playoffs -- they beat Bill Parcells' Patriots in the opening round in Cleveland -- Belichick's defensive coordinator, Nick Saban, was named coach at Michigan State.

"There was a time period there," Belichick said last week, "when [saban] also was head coach at Michigan State and did some things with them and split a little bit of time between the two. Then, when the season was over, he went to Michigan State.

"I think he handled the situation well. Nick and I talked about it. We had a good relationship. We talked about it before he interviewed for the job. We talked about it after he was offered the job. We talked about it after he accepted the job, and then we worked our way through it. I don't think it was a problem.

"The things he had to do for Michigan State, he said: 'Look, I need this amount of time to do this.' So, we worked it out. He took that time. I don't know what he did. He might have recruited. He might have hired coaches. He might have rearranged his office. I don't really know. Whatever he did were things that he felt like he needed to do and he prioritized them."

Replacing Weis will be a top priority for Belichick in the coming year, but it doesn't come as a surprise.

While Weis is headed for South Bend, it could just as easily have been Cleveland, or Miami, or any of the several other NFL cities expected to have job openings by early next month.

At the age of 48, and after 15 highly-successful seasons as an NFL assistant -- he has made four trips to the Super Bowl, winning three, the last two as offensive coordinator in New England -- Weis has earned the chance to be a head coach.

He became a prime candidate at Notre Dame after the Irish failed to land Utah coach Urban Meyer.

Weis met Tuesday night with the Rev. John I. Jenkins, who'll replace the the Rev. Edward Malloy as Notre Dame's president in June, and director of athletics Kevin White, then spoke again Friday, by phone, with university representatives.

Negotiations between the university and Weis' agent, Bob Lamont, were concluded last night.

Weis, who graduated from Notre Dame in 1978, but didn't play football for the Fighting Irish, has earned a reputation for offensive creativity and ingenuity. Under his tutelage, Tom Brady, a sixth-round draft choice out of Michigan in 2000, has developed into a quarterback who has been the MVP in two Super Bowls. Although the Patriots last season did not have a single offensive player voted to the Pro Bowl, they outscored Carolina in the Super Bowl, 32-29.

"What I like about offense," Weis said recently, "is you get the chance to decide what you're going to do, and the defense has to react to it. I like to be aggressive. I like to be the guy forcing the issue.

"I think a lot of offensive coaches have taken a "we can't do this because they're going to do that," approach. Here, we are just the opposite. We say: 'We're going to do this. Let's see what they try to do to stop it.' "

Opponents have had trouble stopping the New England offense as designed by Weis. The Patriots won their first Super Bowl in 2001, then won again last season, when they started a winning streak that reached an NFL-record 21 in a row. New England has won 26 of its last 27 going into today's game against the Bengals.

Before running back Corey Dillon came to New England this season, Weis often had to rely on Brady's arm.

"I love to move the football," Weis said. "I'm known [for passing] because that's what we've done to move the ball. I want to throw it because it works. If it's not working, I don't want to be throwing it. A lot of it has to do with what players you have and what you can do against who you're playing against."

Weis will face a difficult schedule next season, including the likes of Southern Cal, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Tennessee and Purdue.

As for the Patriots, they'll face the difficult task of replacing him.

Good luck Charlie!

I'm an Irish fan and I have to say I'm excited to have this guy coming on aboard as head coach. I'm looking forward to seeing the Irish offense improve tremendously...Definitely one of the main reasons Pats won 2 SB's in last 3 years...The fact ND is Weis's alma mater is a big plus also....

What the hell was Brady thinking last night.

Did the orange jersy make him go blind ,or are we seeing the results of Charlie trying to juggle too much?

Oh well can't win them all but they need to win out now and hope for Pitt to lose the next two. (ain't going to happen)

I'm glad they lost. Now the steelers have home field advantage in the playoffs. Kind of sick of seeing the pats in post-season anyway!

QUOTE (daveyt @ Dec 21 2004, 11:38 AM)
THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS WON

i'd hate to see them in the playoffs too if they keep beating my team (i.e. pittsburgh)

bd.gif

Keep beating Pittsburgh? The last time I saw those two play, the steelers won by a couple touchdowns. confused13.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Dec 21 2004, 09:48 PM)
I still don't believe that the Dolphins managed to beat the Steelers. That has to be one of the biggest upsets this year.

LMAO. rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

They LOST to the Steelers in week 3. That was the first and last time they play each other this season...

New England might lose too New York on Sunday, Guys it looks like New England wont be in the big game after all.

You know who will be there in Jacksonville is none other then

San Diego <----- AFC Champions

QUOTE (Presto45 @ Dec 21 2004, 10:44 PM)
New England might lose too New York on Sunday, Guys it looks like New England wont be in the big game after all.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the pats, but they are too good of a team to count them out just because they got beat by a weak team. They are still a top 3 team in the NFL, they are very much in it still. Sometimes the best team doesn't win, that's what happened when the dolphins beat them. Anything can happen in the NFL.