Deep Purple!

mikeroach113

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 28 2009, 08:32 AM)
QUOTE (Margana @ Sep 19 2009, 02:00 PM)

Always thought that Ian Paice was greatly underrated as a drummer.

very, very much so. I also thought he blew away people like Bonham and Moon[as much as i love moon] but they were more famous than Ian so i understand

They were more famous A] because the bands they were in were a bit more famous than Purple and B] Moon was a crazy character who made headlines and knew many famous names, and Bonham had some of that mad drummer reputation too and also hobnobbed with celebs. Ian was much more in the background in Purple...

The Mule rules 1022.gif I never get sick of hearing it

bumper.gif

Time for a Purple bump!!!!! In a Purple phase again, time to talk about the "sleeper" Purple tracks. The tracks rarely mentioned in dispatches.

Take Fools from Fireball, that f*cker rocks like a busy brothel. But it's never mentioned in the pantheon of Purple greats. It should be. Is it the slow intro?

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 18 2011, 07:22 AM)
bumper.gif

Time for a Purple bump!!!!! In a Purple phase again, time to talk about the "sleeper" Purple tracks. The tracks rarely mentioned in dispatches.

Take Fools from Fireball, that f*cker rocks like a busy brothel. But it's never mentioned in the pantheon of Purple greats. It should be. Is it the slow intro?

the album fireball isnt really considered amongst their best work from the mk2 lineup amongst fans ,but ian gillan considers it to be their finest hour.

personally i love it and "fools" is a quality track but i prefer the title track and demons eye above it.

I recently purchased the aniversary edition of this album and also machine head and in rock.

these are all classic albums but lets not forget the imortal made in japan

which i still consider the best live album ever.

Concerto for group and orchestra was an unfortunate blipp in the bands mk2 portfolio along with who do we think we are .

In my opinion the band died with gillans departure, but with his relationship at breaking point with blackmore it was inevitabe .

Did purple create heavy rock?...yeah i believe so but respect is due to sabbath who were always in the shadow of the purps.

QUOTE (tel @ Feb 18 2011, 01:45 PM)
bumper.gif

the album fireball isnt really considered amongst their best work from the mk2 lineup amongst fans ,but ian gillan considers it to be their finest hour.

personally i love it and "fools" is a quality track but i prefer the title track and demons eye above it.

I recently purchased the aniversary edition of this album and also machine head and in rock.

these are all classic albums but lets not forget the imortal made in japan

which i still consider the best live album ever.

Concerto for group and orchestra was an unfortunate blipp in the bands mk2 portfolio along with who do we think we are .

In my opinion the band died with gillans departure, but with his relationship at breaking point with blackmore it was inevitabe .

Did purple create heavy rock?...yeah i believe so but respect is due to sabbath who were always in the shadow of the purps.

I think Sabbath were more metal, but Purps were the better band.

bumper.gif

yes.gif A good example too of how underrated Gillan is as a lyricist. That trio of Fireball side 2 tracks are amazing! Really wish "Into The Fire" was in the setlist for Made In Japan. There's a heavy as f**k performance of it on the History, Hits & Highlights dvd.

Edited by Silas Lang

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Feb 18 2011, 09:36 PM)
bumper.gif

yes.gif A good example too of how underrated Gillan is as a lyricist. That trio of Fireball side 2 tracks are amazing! Really wish "Into The Fire" was in the setlist for Made In Japan. There's a heavy as f**k performance of it on the History, Hits & Highlights dvd.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

1022.gif

Listening to The Long Beach 76 gig(or On The Wings of a Russian Foxbat for those of us of a certain vintage). Probably the best of the Bolin era recordings, he's on fire, for a change. Hughes still gets on my tits, that white soul boy schtick of his doesn't work most of the time. On Come Taste The Band it's restrained and it's great, but live he goes mental, esp on Georgia On My Mind, and makes a balls of it.

first band I was ever introduced to when my big brother brought home "machine head" back in about '75 (yeah I know it came out in'72. my brother didn't get the news I guess lol) even the lesser known tunes like Never Before, Pictures of Home and Maybe I'm a Leo were great to me!

another tune I love but never seems to get mentioned is 'Flight of the Rat'. great flowing purple riffs!! 1022.gif

your opinion please......

A.. ian gillan is the greatest rock singer ever

B.. ian gillan is in my top 5

c.. ian gillan is meh.

i would be interested in your comments

my own opinion is that gillan is indeed the master and that nobody has ever come close to hitting some of those notes he was capable of back in the 70s.

many have tried including one geddy lee but they all have to eat gillans dust

QUOTE (tel @ Feb 20 2011, 06:54 AM)

Just love his style, looseness and that wild rock n roll abandon his sings with. He could sing just about any kind of music and make it work. He's been pretty diverse in his career over the years. Put him in any other ordinary rock band and I guarantee they'd sound a helluva lot better.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 21 2011, 06:33 AM)
He's in the Top 5, purely because the man continues to not give a f*ck.

I really rate Ian's Jesus Christ Superstar performance as well as all the Purple stuff, it was far better than that Ted Rogers laugh.gif guy who did the film...

1022.gif

QUOTE (mikeroach113 @ Jan 27 2007, 02:09 AM)
http://www.metalonmetal.altervista.org/immagini/DEEP%20PURPLE%202.jpg
http://www.deeppurple.com.au/
Deep Purple pretty much invented heavy metal (it was either them or Ozzy), and they've proven to be highly influential and enduring over the years. Their 1972 album "Machine Head" is one of THE MOST important albums in all of heavy metal and british rock. I wouldn't say the album's very well known, but 3 of the 7 songs are timeless rock anthems, they are:Highway Star, Space Truckin', and last, but certainly not least, the mother of all guitar riffs:"Smoke On The Water". The album is one of the best of all time. You just HAVE to listen to "Highway Star" to hear how awesome it is. Some also believe this song was the beginning of speed metal. I also wanna check out the stuff they did with David Coverdale, and I'd like to check out that album Ian Gillan did with Black Sabbath (1983's Born Again).

Wow, I have not seen that shot before. Bolin looks badass! I love Come Taste the Band. The King Biscuit live album from that lineup is fantastic as well. Glen Hughes has the voice. Don't get me wrong, I love the classic Machine Head lineup, but this edition was no joke. It is a damn shame that Tommy Bolin checked out so young. She's a teaser...

QUOTE (tel @ Feb 20 2011, 06:54 AM)
your opinion please......

A.. ian gillan is the greatest rock singer ever

c.. ian gillan is meh.

i would be interested in your comments

my own opinion is that gillan is indeed the master and that nobody has ever come close to hitting some of those notes he was capable of back in the 70s.
many have tried including one geddy lee but they all have to eat gillans dust

Ian Gillan is one of the first really true Rock screamers. And, I dig it!!

So, I'll vote A. biggrin.gif

Ian Gillan is awesome! I wish he could've somehow spent more time with sabbath. they could've done some wicked stuff together!