The Greatest British Rock Band

Kudzu

What is the greatest British rock band?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What is the greatest British rock band?

• Fairport Convention
    • Pink Floyd
    • The Beatles
    • King Crimson
    • Led Zeppelin
    • The Who
    • The Rolling Stones
    • The Kinks
    • Cream
    • Radiohead
    • Jethro Tull
    • Yes
    • Coldplay
    • Marillion
    • Queen
    • Genesis
    • Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    • Supertramp
    • Def Leppard
    • Arctic Monkeys
    • Fleetwood Mac
    • Iron Maiden
    • Muse
    • Deep Purple

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 23 2007, 08:57 AM)
I don't see how anyone could really vote for anything other than The Beatles.
I really like them, but there is other music I personally prefer.

However, for sheer originality, impact, and influence there is no one else that can touch them.

This is how I felt when I first saw the poll. Personally, I'd rather listen to Floyd or Zeppelin, but it's hard to deny the impact of the Beatles, regardless of what you think of their music. Does this make them the greatest...? I'll say yes, especially considering the overall quality & volume of the music they produced over their career.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, for sheer originality, impact, and influence there is no one else that can touch them.

Yeah since the question is band and not rock band or some other label, it has to be the Beatles; even just in terms of impact, which is collossal, influence which as wide as the world, body of work, which is staggering they are an obvious choice...

I was just thinking, why does this one particular little island produce so many great bands???

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jan 23 2007, 11:41 AM)
Thats a pretty tough list. There's the old, classic bands, like The Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, but for me, and possibly my generation, i'd have to go for Muse. They really are at the forefront of something good, and they're ahead by a mile.

If I have to go for an oldie, i'll say The Who.

Really goes to show how brilliant Britain's been for modern music, with a list that huge.

Yeah, for sure, British rock owns. Compare this list to the list on the American poll. Not even close in the number of quality bands. As I read that other list I thought, "Man, in a music war even Canada kicks our ass." No offense. unsure.gif

bolt.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Jan 23 2007, 11:27 AM)

This is how I felt when I first saw the poll. Personally, I'd rather listen to Floyd or Zeppelin, but it's hard to deny the impact of the Beatles, regardless of what you think of their music. Does this make them the greatest...? I'll say yes, especially considering the overall quality & volume of the music they produced over their career.

Perhaps the slight ambiguity of the question leads to this kind of confusion, that I myself had.

Perhaps if it had said either "What's your favorite British rock band?" or "What's the most important British rock band?", it would have been less open to interpretation than "What is the greatest British rock band?"

I have to go with Led Zeppelin. They were the band to listen to when I was in junior high. I can remember my brother's band doing cover songs of Zep. I am impressed though by the amount of really good bands on that list.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 23 2007, 12:03 PM)
I think Black Sabbath should be on the list btw...

Has anyone ever made a poll like this with band names where there weren't seveal important bands left out?

Nice try, though, at least a lot of great bands were included despite the glaring omissions...

Edited by rushgoober

Let's see, my favorite British bands:

1)Pink Floyd (band I cannot live without, Pink Floyd are the TOP DOGS)

2)Queen (only other British band next to PF that have put out classic albums)

3)The Who (one of my all time favorites)

4)Led Zeppelin (weren't for them, no Sabbath or any hard rock bands would have come)

5)The Beatles (they are great but I don't listen to as much these days)

6)Genesis

7)Yes

8)Jethro Tull

9)Black Sabbath

10)Iron Maiden

11)The Rolling Stones

12)Cream

13)Deep Purple

14)ELP

15)David Bowie

16)Roxy Music

17)Judas Priest

18)Motorhead

19)Bad Company

20)The Darkness

Foreigner, Rainbow, Supertramp, Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Police and Fleetwood Mac are disqualified as they either were from the get-go or eventually became Anglo-American bands.

Rainbow was predominantly American save Blackmore initially. Foreigner was half English/half American.

Hendrix was a Yank whilst the Experience were Brits

Supertramp's drummer is from California (born and raised).

Stewart Copeland is an American whilst the rest of The Police were Brits.

Fleetwood Mac's famed lineup consisted of three Brits and two Yanks (Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks).

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 23 2007, 05:02 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 23 2007, 08:42 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 23 2007, 04:39 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 23 2007, 05:57 AM)

I really deliberated between Pink Floyd and The Beatles, and in a heartwrenching decision I voted for the Floyd.

The Beatles were the obvious choice in terms of sheer influence if nothing else, but in the end it came down to my short list of my favorite bands of all time (in no particular order - Pink Floyd, Rush, Popol Vuh and The Moody Blues (who are alarmingly absent from this list)). Pink Floyd is on my short list, The Beatles are not. But in my 2nd tier, which would included several bands, The Beatles would be right up there.

Honestly, I don't know how anyone can vote for a band other than The Beatles, Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin, but whatever... wacko.gif

Goob, my knowledge of the Moody Blues music is shameful, you obviously rate them very highly, what would be a good start off point for an amateur?

My brother met Justin Hayward a couple of years back, in a pub in West Cork. Thoroughly decent fellow by all accounts.

Of my four favorite bands, two of them have major corollaries. When I say Pink Floyd as one of my favorite all-time bands, I'm referring primarily to their 1967-1973 output. When I say The Moody Blues, I"m referring primarily to their 1967-1972 output, often known as their first 7 albums. Technically it was their 2nd to 8th albums as they made an album called Go Now (aka The Magnificent Moodies) in 1965 with a different lead singer that was R&B and SO different from what they'd become a couple of years later, that most people, like myself, for all intents and purposes discount it entirely from their discography.

Of the first 7, I would personally rate them this way:

1. On The Threshold of a Dream (1969)

2. Days of Future Passed (1967)

3. In Search of the Lost Chord (1968)

4. To Our Children's Children's Children (1969)

5. A Question of Balance (1970)

6. Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (1971)

7. Seventh Sojourn (1972)

Essentially I rate them in terms of quality in pretty much the order they came out, except that I place their 3rd album before their 1st two as it's a completely flawless album IMHO.

I separated the albums the way I did also, because I think there's a significant drop in quality for each space I left. Essentially, I think the first four albums are the REALLY essential ones, even though Children's Children isn't QUITE up to the level of the other 3. Mind you, all of the first 7 are great, but I really think a person needs to start with one of their first 3 albums to hear them at their very best; Days of Future Passed (1967), In Search of the Lost Chord (1968) or On the Threshold of a Dream (1969).

Days of Future Passed is very unique among their first 7 albums in that it's got a very strong concept, even though most all of the "songs" work fine on their own. One of the main parts of the concept is that it's all about a day in the life of a typical person (many people don't realize that Tuesday Afternoon and Nights in White Satin are part of a greater concept), and in that, it's become somewhat of a classic among people who take LSD and other psychedelic drugs, as a trip takes most of a day, and there are obvious lyrics like "this day will last a thousand years, if you want it to", and even song titles like "peak hour". If you've never done LSD, you won't know what I'm talking about, but the obvious and subtle drug references are definitely in there ("The smell of grass, just makes you pass into a dream...").

The other major concept part of Days of Future Passed is that all of the "songs", meaning the rock parts with The Moody Blues, are separated by orchestral sections. Even by today's standards it's pretty radical; orchestral section, rock section, orchestral section, rock section, etc. It works pretty seamlessly and brilliantly though. The orchestral movements echo the musical themes of the rock sections, and therefore add one further element that has endeared this album to be considered one of the major TRIP albums since it uses recurring themes, one major factor in the psychedelic drug experience.

All that being said, the album works great on its own without chemical enhancement, and honestly I don't even know how widespread and prevalent the concept is that the album is one of the major trip albums. When I indulged in such activities 20 years after this album came out, it was still pretty legendary in this regards among people I knew, and I've heard it mentioned elsewhere in this fashion as well, but I'm sure there are many who've never equated it as such.

Basically, you can't go wrong with any of the first 3 albums, taking into consdieration that the 1st one is very unique in that includes the orchestration. If you listen to any of those and don't like them, chances are you won't like them in general. If you love it, you'll love the rest as well. The Moody Blues are unique in that they're the most overtly spiritual rock band I've ever heard besides Yes, and even there The Moodies are perhaps slightly more obvious about it. Keep in mind it's generally spiritual as opposed to being in any way specifically relgiious. This to me is one of the key factors in their success. It's extremely uplifting music while still being firmly a rock band. Outside of The Moodies and Yes, I can't think of one other band that really pulled that off so consistently, even though The Beatles often dabbled in that, but they were far more eclectic.

So, you like The Moody Blues then........... biggrin.gif

Seriously though, thanks for the lesson!!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 23 2007, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 23 2007, 05:02 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 23 2007, 08:42 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 23 2007, 04:39 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 23 2007, 05:57 AM)

I really deliberated between Pink Floyd and The Beatles, and in a heartwrenching decision I voted for the Floyd.

The Beatles were the obvious choice in terms of sheer influence if nothing else, but in the end it came down to my short list of my favorite bands of all time (in no particular order - Pink Floyd, Rush, Popol Vuh and The Moody Blues (who are alarmingly absent from this list)). Pink Floyd is on my short list, The Beatles are not. But in my 2nd tier, which would included several bands, The Beatles would be right up there.

Honestly, I don't know how anyone can vote for a band other than The Beatles, Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin, but whatever... wacko.gif

Goob, my knowledge of the Moody Blues music is shameful, you obviously rate them very highly, what would be a good start off point for an amateur?

My brother met Justin Hayward a couple of years back, in a pub in West Cork. Thoroughly decent fellow by all accounts.

Of my four favorite bands, two of them have major corollaries. When I say Pink Floyd as one of my favorite all-time bands, I'm referring primarily to their 1967-1973 output. When I say The Moody Blues, I"m referring primarily to their 1967-1972 output, often known as their first 7 albums. Technically it was their 2nd to 8th albums as they made an album called Go Now (aka The Magnificent Moodies) in 1965 with a different lead singer that was R&B and SO different from what they'd become a couple of years later, that most people, like myself, for all intents and purposes discount it entirely from their discography.

Of the first 7, I would personally rate them this way:

1. On The Threshold of a Dream (1969)

2. Days of Future Passed (1967)

3. In Search of the Lost Chord (1968)

4. To Our Children's Children's Children (1969)

5. A Question of Balance (1970)

6. Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (1971)

7. Seventh Sojourn (1972)

Essentially I rate them in terms of quality in pretty much the order they came out, except that I place their 3rd album before their 1st two as it's a completely flawless album IMHO.

I separated the albums the way I did also, because I think there's a significant drop in quality for each space I left. Essentially, I think the first four albums are the REALLY essential ones, even though Children's Children isn't QUITE up to the level of the other 3. Mind you, all of the first 7 are great, but I really think a person needs to start with one of their first 3 albums to hear them at their very best; Days of Future Passed (1967), In Search of the Lost Chord (1968) or On the Threshold of a Dream (1969).

Days of Future Passed is very unique among their first 7 albums in that it's got a very strong concept, even though most all of the "songs" work fine on their own. One of the main parts of the concept is that it's all about a day in the life of a typical person (many people don't realize that Tuesday Afternoon and Nights in White Satin are part of a greater concept), and in that, it's become somewhat of a classic among people who take LSD and other psychedelic drugs, as a trip takes most of a day, and there are obvious lyrics like "this day will last a thousand years, if you want it to", and even song titles like "peak hour". If you've never done LSD, you won't know what I'm talking about, but the obvious and subtle drug references are definitely in there ("The smell of grass, just makes you pass into a dream...").

The other major concept part of Days of Future Passed is that all of the "songs", meaning the rock parts with The Moody Blues, are separated by orchestral sections. Even by today's standards it's pretty radical; orchestral section, rock section, orchestral section, rock section, etc. It works pretty seamlessly and brilliantly though. The orchestral movements echo the musical themes of the rock sections, and therefore add one further element that has endeared this album to be considered one of the major TRIP albums since it uses recurring themes, one major factor in the psychedelic drug experience.

All that being said, the album works great on its own without chemical enhancement, and honestly I don't even know how widespread and prevalent the concept is that the album is one of the major trip albums. When I indulged in such activities 20 years after this album came out, it was still pretty legendary in this regards among people I knew, and I've heard it mentioned elsewhere in this fashion as well, but I'm sure there are many who've never equated it as such.

Basically, you can't go wrong with any of the first 3 albums, taking into consdieration that the 1st one is very unique in that includes the orchestration. If you listen to any of those and don't like them, chances are you won't like them in general. If you love it, you'll love the rest as well. The Moody Blues are unique in that they're the most overtly spiritual rock band I've ever heard besides Yes, and even there The Moodies are perhaps slightly more obvious about it. Keep in mind it's generally spiritual as opposed to being in any way specifically relgiious. This to me is one of the key factors in their success. It's extremely uplifting music while still being firmly a rock band. Outside of The Moodies and Yes, I can't think of one other band that really pulled that off so consistently, even though The Beatles often dabbled in that, but they were far more eclectic.

So, you like The Moody Blues then........... biggrin.gif

no.gif Not, really. I mean, they're OK I guess...

sarcasm.gif Bastard! wink.gif

Seriously mate, let me know after you check out an album or two of theirs. yes.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 23 2007, 06:28 PM)
I was extremely tempted to vote for Radiohead, but really, does anyone come close to the Beatles in any respect?

no.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jan 24 2007, 12:07 AM)
Who in Gods green f***ing earth voted for Coldplay. confused13.gif

Absolutely shameful yes.gif

Apparently, anything CAN happen.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 23 2007, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 23 2007, 12:47 PM)
I voted King Crimson, 'cause they're the greatest band on any list...
But I'm not sure if they count as British anymore, with 3/4 of the band now American.

Fripp is Crimson. Crimson is Fripp. Fripp is English. Crimson is English.*

*Yes, I know, Belew's role in the band is cemented, but Fripp is the only constant member.

They never sat down and made it an official rule. "With Crimso, expect the unexpected." - Bill Bruford

QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 24 2007, 03:30 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 23 2007, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 23 2007, 12:47 PM)
I voted King Crimson, 'cause they're the greatest band on any list...
But I'm not sure if they count as British anymore, with 3/4 of the band now American.

Fripp is Crimson. Crimson is Fripp. Fripp is English. Crimson is English.*

*Yes, I know, Belew's role in the band is cemented, but Fripp is the only constant member.

They never sat down and made it an official rule. "With Crimso, expect the unexpected." - Bill Bruford

Also, let's not forget, "King Crimson is a way of doing things."