YYZ

Slime

How do you pronounce the song title?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce the song title?

• YY-Zee
    • YY-Zed

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Jan 21 2007, 01:44 AM)
I say it the right way, zee wink.gif

The English invented the language, how do they say it? Surely that's the correct way!!!!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 21 2007, 05:19 AM)
Interesting!

I have never heard YYZ said as YYZED?

America YYZEE!

Do you say "I am going to warsh the car" or "wash the car?"

WASH!

YYZ!!

The only ones who say Zee are Americans or those who have been taught English by an American. The rest of the world says Zed, which is by far the older and "correct" pronouniation.

More importantly, Rush are Canadian and pronounce it "Zed". I have actually heard Geddy pronounce it thus with my own ears over twenty years ago, so that should settle it.

As I mentioned earlier, I would pronounce ZZ Top "Zee Zee" as they themselves are from Texas and that is how they named it. It would be very ignorant of me to insist on saying "Zed Zed Top" which is in effect what a mumber of you are doing here by mispronouncing the Rush song, albeit not deliberately.

I pronounce it Zed (and yes, I am an American)

I always figured since the band was Canadian, they pronounce it Zed. Therefore, I should do the same.

It also helps me that I have kin in Canada and was already well aware of the Zee/Zed thing.

it is "zett".everything,that americans do,must not be the only one or the right way.the author of this xxx is a canadian,thatswhy it should be pronounced like a canadian would do.(aber letzten endes geht die welt davon auch nicht unter)

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 21 2007, 06:32 AM)
Interesting!

America YYZEE!

WASH!

YYZ!!

The only ones who say Zee are Americans or those who have been taught English by an American. The rest of the world says Zed, which is by far the older and "correct" pronouniation.

More importantly, Rush are Canadian and pronounce it "Zed". I have actually heard Geddy pronounce it thus with my own ears over twenty years ago, so that should settle it.

As I mentioned earlier, I would pronounce ZZ Top "Zee Zee" as they themselves are from Texas and that is how they named it. It would be very ignorant of me to insist on saying "Zed Zed Top" which is in effect what a mumber of you are doing here by mispronouncing the Rush song, albeit not deliberately.

VERY goodpost.gif mate!!

I say 'zed' as a rule, but like the ZZ Top example above, I've always said Y-Y-Zee, assuming that Canadadian pronunciation would be similar to the USA.

I've now had top retrain myself to say Zed instead of Zee.

I asked the question here about two years ago, and before I knew where I was it had become the poetry thread (Hi LSM bekloppt.gif ).

I blame Sesame Street.

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Jan 21 2007, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (Roddy @ Jan 21 2007, 03:32 AM)
QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Jan 21 2007, 01:44 AM)
I say it the right way, zee wink.gif

The English invented the language, how do they say it? Surely that's the correct way!!!!

let's not start ourselves an argument over a small joke

yes.gif Tomato, Tomahto...let's call the whole thing off!

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 21 2007, 06:32 AM)
Interesting!

America YYZEE!

WASH!

YYZ!!

I think you should call it however you pronounce those letters. I'm sure the members of Rush don't give a flying fig either way.

I see letters and say why-why-zee. You say why-why-zed. Others igriega-igriega-zeta. It's all good and ultimately it's all the same. smile.gif

QUOTE (bacon @ Jan 21 2007, 03:01 PM)
Geddy saying "Zed" Here

Well I don't think it was ever a secret how they said it "up north." smile.gif

But "zed" isn't a part of my vocabulary. There's no letter "zed" in my alphabet according to how we're taught here....so I'll say "zee" and just realize and respect that others say it differently. That's not some sacrilege to pronounce it how you pronounce it.

QUOTE (nic2112nic @ Jan 21 2007, 02:31 AM)
Zed, man!! And Rushhead, whats with the car washin thing?

The car washing thing is a strange one too.

My dad who was born in New Jersey has always said "warsh" the car.

Hell, there is no "r" in wash but that's how some people say it.

Strange!

Just like this thread.

There must be 49 Americans on here who voted compared to the 24 from around the rest of the world.

I majored in English. Maybe I should have majored in World Language. The Tower Of Babel 101 class is now open for enrollment.

Guess you learn something new every day.

It will alway be YYZee!

Hey I have YYZ on three of my licence plates in three different creative ways.

Thanks! I am thinking of a new plate for my 07 Explorer.

How about "YYZED"

Thanks a lot!!!

I might go with it!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

How do some people say "ZEBRA?" "ZEDBRA?"

Zebras are not an American Animal.

When you buy ZEE paper towels outside of the United States do you say "honey could you please pick up some ZEED paper towels?"

@rushhead666

zebras can not speak,or am i wrong

the question is,how to pronounce "Z"

let us ask neil,what he is thinking about this discussion

a guy from long beach new york 42 georgia avenue moved to germany,and he told me ,it is zee

in germany it is "tsett",but nobody says zettbra or zett-ackenbarsch (fish thing)

how would you pronounce ypsilon?

there was a pink floyd solo album with the band name zee,with rick wright

I thought only english speaking germans said zee - as in "Rush is zee greatest band in zee vorld! Goot mornink yaa!"

Archived