The Official American Idol Season 6 Thread

rushgoober

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 18 2007, 10:28 AM)
Big Red was great.

As for the bad ones, some of them actually think they can sing, but you just know that half of them are total put-ons, that just go on the show as a joke, because they're bad. This is obvious, because there are like 20,000 people in the football stadium for each city, and Paula, Randy, and Simon obviously don't see all of them. My guess is that they have producers listen to people in the stadium, and they pick out people to go see the judges. They pick the really good ones, and the really horrible ones that would make for entertaining TV, like Big Red and the juggler guy the first night, or that guy the second season who sang "Like a Virgin" with the arm movements, or William Hung, etc.

laugh.gif Big Red. Too funny!

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jan 18 2007, 10:39 AM)
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/bushbaby.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/bush.jpg

Bush Baby rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

Dude, I haven't laughed this hard at a post in a long time. That is too funny!

Poor kid. laugh.gif

So I needed something done to my hair last night and CeeJ watches this crap. So I sat there trying to figure out what the big draw is.

Now I get it. You all like to watch those three has-beens/never wasses... belittle people for their looks, lack of ability and obvious mental problems.

Nice.

I can't believe Randy Jackson has the actual NERVE to put his head down and shake it in disbelief when he sees an overweight person. Does he think that table hides him THAT much???

Let's face it this is cheap TV: just get a bunch of people off the street and have them sing badly and let people laugh in embarrassment at their foolishness. The programme makers do very, very well financially and there's very low production costs. This is why they foist this dreck on the masses and the masses will of course watch anything they're given...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 18 2007, 05:49 PM)
Let's face it this is cheap TV: just get a bunch of people off the street and have them sing badly and let people laugh in embarrassment at their foolishness. The programme makers do very, very well financially and there's very low production costs. This is why they foist this dreck on the masses and the masses will of course watch anything they're given...

If that were the only basis of the show, I could agree with that. And yes, there is the obvious exploitation of the miserable in order to fill up an hour's program.

But that is the least of it, imo. That needle in the haystack who when they sing makes you stop what you're doing because they are THAT good... that's worth watching. And every year this show brings that. Sure, hate the songs. What do I care? But nobody in this forum can sing the way those top 4 or 5 people can who make it that far.

And although it serves the purpose of the money makers in this very well... I don't care. To watch these people who came from total obscurity work harder than they could possibly imagine at the chance of being great is awe inspiring. They give hope to the dreamers who thought their voices would forever go unheard. I get very into that aspect of the show.

yes.gif

Edited by paganoman

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 18 2007, 03:49 PM)
and there's very low production costs.

Um, what show are you watching? They use some of the most state-of-the-art components to produce this show. It's Grade A when it comes to production, not to mention editing.

If this is your idea of low production, then I would imagine most concerts you attend are very disappointing.

*Editors Note:

It really amazes me the comments people make here about the music and production industry, and what is involved to make it all run. Funny how only a few of us here actually work in this field, but everyone else seems to know all about it! Please do yourselves and me a favor; either start working in the industry so I can respect your comments, or just keep them to yourself.

Thanks.

QUOTE (Slime @ Jan 18 2007, 09:35 PM)
may I also tag on a moratorium to anyone using the phrase "the masses" in any sentence?

i agree. that kind of terminology is so 5 minutes ago. it's the kind of thing i would expect the masses to say.

oh... oops.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 18 2007, 11:21 PM)

Um, what show are you watching? They use some of the most state-of-the-art components to produce this show. It's Grade A when it comes to production, not to mention editing.

If this is your idea of low production, then I would imagine most concerts you attend are very disappointing.

*Editors Note:

It really amazes me the comments people make here about the music and production industry, and what is involved to make it all run. Funny how only a few of us here actually work in this field, but everyone else seems to know all about it! Please do yourselves and me a favor; either start working in the industry so I can respect your comments, or just keep them to yourself.

Thanks.

Well compare the production costs of Idol with the production costs of a show like 24 and there's no comparison... And that's the comparison I was making. All these relality shows are cheap because they mostly star ordinary people who don't get ridiculous money.

What is this obsession with singing anyway? There used to be talent shows that included other kinds of acts like comedians, illusionists, why is singing so great? So 5 people in that show can sing a bunch of someone's old hits quite well, but not as well as the original artist, big deal? It's not what I want to sit and watch anyway. It's like buying an album fake versions of well known tunes like K-Tel used to do in the 70s...

Edited by treeduck

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 19 2007, 01:34 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 18 2007, 11:21 PM)

*Editors Note:

Thanks.

Well compare the production costs of Idol with the production costs of a show like 24 and there's no comparison... And that's the comparison I was making. All these relality shows are cheap because they mostly star ordinary people who don't get ridiculous money.

What is this obsession with singing anyway? There used to be talent shows that included other kinds of acts like comedians, illusionists, why is singing so great? So 5 people in that show can sing a bunch of someone's old hits quite well, but not as well as the original artist, big deal? It's not what I want to sit and watch anyway. It's like buying an album fake versions of well known tunes like K-Tel used to do in the 70s...

laugh.gif I remember K-Tel.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 17 2007, 01:21 AM)
The last guy's rock band is horrible, I can already tell. They are a Nickleback/Hinder clone. I already know that, just from his voice and his pretty-boy looks. Terrible.

Heh, I can tell you for a fact that he thinks Rush is a "Terrible Band".

I went to highschool with him, actually know him pretty well. He's a pretty nice guy, but I don't think he's got the greatest musical tastes.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 18 2007, 06:34 PM)
But nobody in this forum can sing the way those top 4 or 5 people can who make it that far.

ohmy.gif

You've heard Tick sing TWICE now... HOW could you say such a hurtful thing???

z7shysterical.gif

Okay... you're right. But I bet Richy would get a couple rounds into it though. yes.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 19 2007, 08:09 AM)
But nobody in this forum can sing the way those top 4 or 5 people can who make it that far.

ohmy.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Okay... you're right. But I bet Richy would get a couple rounds into it though. yes.gif

No doubt. I've heard him sing. I don't know if he'd fit what Idol folks are looking for in a pop voice, but he'd impress. What's that show for the rock singers? That's the one he needs to be on. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 19 2007, 08:27 AM)

ohmy.gif

z7shysterical.gif

No doubt. I've heard him sing. I don't know if he'd fit what Idol folks are looking for in a pop voice, but he'd impress. What's that show for the rock singers? That's the one he needs to be on. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 1022.gif

no.gif

I think Tick would be awesome singing "Don't You Wish Your Girlfriend Was Hot Like ME"

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 19 2007, 11:54 AM)
I think Tick would be awesome singing "Don't You Wish Your Girlfriend Was Hot Like ME"

rofl3.gif

I think he should sing, "It's Raining Men" ! laugh.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 19 2007, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 19 2007, 08:27 AM)

ohmy.gif

z7shysterical.gif

no.gif

rofl3.gif

Doesn't that Fergie chick sing that? I've always thought she looked like the reanimated corpse of a dead hooker.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 19 2007, 02:46 PM)
I've always thought she looked like the reanimated corpse of a dead hooker.

rofl3.gif That was great.

As for American Idol, I have to say I do watch this show, but usually only in the beginning with all of the people who think they can sing. I agree with Puppet though in that there's no originality in this show, the people who win have to be these Hollywood-popular pop stars. We have enough of those people already. Think about it. What has Ruben Studdard or Clay Aiken done that has been relevant at all? I mean these people have good singing voices but it's like they're being forced to sing these top-40 hits to become popular. The people who go far in this show should be allowed to sing what they want to sing, they should be original and unique. All of the people who have won AI so far aren't even the famous pop stars that they were planned to be from the beginning! Taylor Hicks is a nice guy, he's got a nice voice, but I can already tell his music is going for that "hit single" type of stuff. I personally find the first few weeks of it hilarious, but then when it gets serious they have these huge, cheesy bashes with fireworks and stuff like that. And I can't stand the choices that some of these people pick to sing. Something like "Don't You Wish Your Girlfriend Was Hot Like Me", IMO, has absolutely no redeeming qualities to it. It's just a prepubescent girly pop song. I can't even really describe it. It's just terrible.

I'm done commenting here for now. Some people may agree with me, some may not, please remember that this is all my opinion.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jan 19 2007, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 19 2007, 02:46 PM)
I've always thought she looked like the reanimated corpse of a dead hooker.

rofl3.gif That was great.

As for American Idol, I have to say I do watch this show, but usually only in the beginning with all of the people who think they can sing. I agree with Puppet though in that there's no originality in this show, the people who win have to be these Hollywood-popular pop stars. We have enough of those people already. Think about it. What has Ruben Studdard or Clay Aiken done that has been relevant at all? I mean these people have good singing voices but it's like they're being forced to sing these top-40 hits to become popular. The people who go far in this show should be allowed to sing what they want to sing, they should be original and unique. All of the people who have won AI so far aren't even the famous pop stars that they were planned to be from the beginning! Taylor Hicks is a nice guy, he's got a nice voice, but I can already tell his music is going for that "hit single" type of stuff. I personally find the first few weeks of it hilarious, but then when it gets serious they have these huge, cheesy bashes with fireworks and stuff like that. And I can't stand the choices that some of these people pick to sing. Something like "Don't You Wish Your Girlfriend Was Hot Like Me", IMO, has absolutely no redeeming qualities to it. It's just a prepubescent girly pop song. I can't even really describe it. It's just terrible.

I'm done commenting here for now. Some people may agree with me, some may not, please remember that this is all my opinion.

This isn't innacurate.

With that said, my cousin Ben says he's going to do it next year, and I think he would probably get through to Hollywood. Has an amazing singing voice.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 19 2007, 11:21 PM)
With that said, my cousin Ben says he's going to do it next year, and I think he would probably get through to Hollywood. Has an amazing singing voice.

Aren't you going to talk him out of it? I mean you wouldn't want him contributing to everything that's wrong with music today, would you? laugh.gif

I'm doomed.

My wife watches American Idol, but I don't. When it's on, she watches it in the bedroom and I watch whatever I want in the living room. I just noticed this morning that my cable company has added Fox TV to their HD channels. I also opened my big yap and told my wife about it. Her first words? "Ooh, American Idol in HD!"

Pray for me, guys.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 20 2007, 09:45 PM)
I'm doomed.

My wife watches American Idol, but I don't. When it's on, she watches it in the bedroom and I watch whatever I want in the living room. I just noticed this morning that my cable company has added Fox TV to their HD channels. I also opened my big yap and told my wife about it. Her first words? "Ooh, American Idol in HD!"

Pray for me, guys.

You poor dumb bastard!!!!! laugh.gif

But I'll pray for you a thousand times more than curse your name.