Which Trek is the best?

Slime

Which Star Trek series was the best?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which Star Trek series was the best?

• The Original Series
    • The Animated Series
    • The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Voyager
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Enterprise
    • screw 'em all, the movies owned!

'Star Trek' sucks.

The original series easily; it had better characters, great chemistry between the characters better stories (and no wonder with the high calibur of writers working on the series such as Harlan Ellison, Robert Bloch (Psycho author),Theordore Sturgeon, DC Fontana, Richard Mathieson (I am Legend, The Incedible Shrinking Man), Gene L Coon among others,it had more elements of action and adventure and less political posturing as well as originality and humour. It was more fun to watch than TNG which was stiff and starchy and the stories suffered the spectre of political correctness... Was any woman offended by the famous split infinitive "to boldly go where no man had gone before" surely not but it was changed to no one...the scene was set...

TNG was obviously based closely on the original, Data was obviously a Spock-like character but they needed Riker as 1st officer as well and The Klingon to play "the token crew alien", so it took three characters to replace Spock, Picard was the new Kirk, the engineer was an irish Mr Scott, the empath girl was instead of a communications officer etc etc. It wasn't bad but always paled compared to the original and the holodeck just helped to lose the "in space" atmosphere that the original series created so well...

DS9 was just a monster mask party with ridiculously pompous speeches by Hawk out of Spenser for Hire...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 4 2006, 10:06 PM)
DS9 was just a monster mask party with ridiculously pompous speeches by Hawk out of Spenser for Hire...

That's why I like it. Hawk in space! When I heard Avery Brooks was cast as the lead in the new ST series I was like 1022.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 4 2006, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 4 2006, 10:06 PM)

That's why I like it. Hawk in space! When I heard Avery Brooks was cast as the lead in the new ST series I was like 1022.gif

Yeah I do like him and he did a very good Hawk and I'm familiar with the Robert B parker novels...

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Oct 5 2006, 12:18 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 4 2006, 06:28 PM)
TNG. With DS9 coming in second.

That. smile.gif

I also agree the previous comment about Q... most interesting Star Trek character of all time.

The one where he loses his powers is an all time classic.

TNG #1 The Borg!!!!!!! Greatest villian Good writing good acting good effects

OS#2 Great writing but bad acting and effects

DS9#3 Took awhile to get going but had some good story arc's

Enterprise #4 Good concept but took way to long to get going.

Voyager Star trek Lost in space

Edited by Batman

I'll also be another voice to say that Q was the best guest villain (?) on the show. John de Lancie's acting on Q was terrific. Stewart and Lancie really knew how to make that relationship work on film. I think Q should have also shown up during Enterprise just because he is THAT good a character.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 7 2006, 03:43 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 4 2006, 07:39 PM)
'Star Trek' sucks.

No it's Star Wars that sucks...

laugh.gif

Nah. Only half of Star Wars sucks (the prequels). That being said, MORE than half of the Star Trek movies suck. Doesn't that suck?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 6 2006, 01:52 PM)
'Star Trek' sucks.

laugh.gif

Nah. Only half of Star Wars sucks (the prequels). That being said, MORE than half of the Star Trek movies suck. Doesn't that suck?

Actually I never liked any of Star Wars, just never appealed to me, looked like what it was thought to be when they made it in 1976 a sci fi B movie...

Here's what one of the main stars who worked on it thought:

Alec Guinness discussing how much he disliked working on Star Wars (1977) and his attempts to encourage George Lucas to kill off Obi-Wan Kenobi] "And he agreed with me. What I didn't tell him was that I just couldn't go on speaking those bloody awful, banal lines. I'd had enough of the mumbo jumbo."

"I shrivel up every time someone mentions Star Wars to me."

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 6 2006, 03:03 PM)
'Star Trek' sucks.

laugh.gif

Actually I never liked any of Star Wars, just never appealed to me, looked like what it was thought to be when they made it in 1976 a sci fi B movie...

Alec Guinness discussing how much he disliked working on Star Wars (1977) and his attempts to encourage George Lucas to kill off Obi-Wan Kenobi] "And he agreed with me. What I didn't tell him was that I just couldn't go on speaking those bloody awful, banal lines. I'd had enough of the mumbo jumbo."

So since Guinness had that reaction we are supposed to hate 'Star Wars'?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 6 2006, 02:10 PM)
'Star Trek' sucks.

laugh.gif

You think what you like Jack I'm just pointing out that I never liked it in the first place and neither did Guiness...

...but if you want to hate it now then I'll allow it this time...but I want you to contribute to Hollywood by buying more DVDs in the future, is that ok for you?

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 6 2006, 02:10 PM)
'Star Trek' sucks.

laugh.gif

I've got a number of reasons to hate Star Wars.

Alec Guiness was one of only a few reasons to like Star Wars.