• 1 I like it
    • 2 I can't stand it
    • 3 I've hardly listened to it, but now I'll give it a go
    • 4 I prefer 2112 and Hemispheres from that era
    • 5 I think it's ok
    • 6 I hate all that medieval crap!!
    • 7 All of A Farewell to Kings rocks!!!
    • 8 It's a real beauty!!

I didn't used to like this one when I first got into the band but it gradually grew on me and it does fit in with that whole medieval flavour on A Farewell to Kings. Nowadays I see it as a nice little atmospheric tune similar to Different Strings, what do you guys think of it?

I love the lyrics from Madrigal yes.gif

When life becomes as barren

And as cold as winter skies

There's a beacon in the darkness

In a distant pair of eyes

In vain to search for honor

In vain to search for truth

But these things can still be given

Your love has shown me proof

QUOTE (Gov @ Sep 30 2006, 10:31 AM)
Great tune from a great album!!! About the only tune from Rush I can live without is "I think I'm going bald". I don't dislike it, but I never go out of my way to hear it

"I Think I'm Going Bald" is kind of a two way street for me. I absolutely LOVE the riff and music, but lyrically I agree, it's awful...

I always think to myself, how could they have wasted this music with those lyrics, 062802puke_prv.gif

I love everything of AFTK, because its my favorite album.

At first I didnt like it, but now I realize its a nice little ballad.

Like some people, I dont go out of my way to listen to it, but I dont skip it when listening to AFTK.

I'm still protesting for it to be in there acoustic set next tour.

Oh, and I actually DO like I think i'm going bald. Music and lyrics. Yes. I do repeat it sometimes.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 30 2006, 02:24 PM)
Pure filler. This is the only Rush song that, despite having listened to AFTK hundreds of times, I honestly can't remember how the song goes. It always sort of drifts by without me paying attention. There's nothing in the song to hook me.

I've heard this song exactly once, and it was in an AFTK listening session in our chat room.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 17 2006, 08:03 PM)
Pure filler. This is the only Rush song that, despite having listened to AFTK hundreds of times, I honestly can't remember how the song goes. It always sort of drifts by without me paying attention. There's nothing in the song to hook me.

I've heard this song exactly once, and it was in an AFTK listening session in our chat room.

So when you bought A Farewell to Kings, presumably in the 80s you cleverly took the needle off the record just in time to miss Madrigal each and every time you played it? And when you got the CD version you just hit skip?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 17 2006, 08:16 PM)

So when you bought A Farewell to Kings, presumably in the 80s you cleverly took the needle off the record just in time to miss Madrigal each and every time you played it? And when you got the CD version you just hit skip?

No, I lfted the needle after hearing the first 20 seconds or so. So, technically, I've heard the first :20 twice, and the entire song only once. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 17 2006, 08:49 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 17 2006, 08:16 PM)

No, I lfted the needle after hearing the first 20 seconds or so. So, technically, I've heard the first :20 twice, and the entire song only once. biggrin.gif

I think the pitch of the Mini Moog scared you...

This tune is another example of Geddy's deeper vocal approach...

"When the dragons grow to mighty to slay with pen or sword..."

...low Geddy style

Who could hate Madrigal?!?!?! We're singing it in the other Madrigal thread!! Come join us!!!

Archived