• Just too much talk about them, even if they were the best
    • Too much about them and ignoring other bands
    • radio play of "hits" ignores better stuff
    • I just don't know! They ruled!
    • other (specify)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Sep 28 2006, 09:55 PM)
Justin Timberlake's "SexyBack" secures a fifth week atop the Billboard Hot 100, just as its parent album "FutureSex/LoveSounds" (Jive) remains No. 1 on The Billboard 200 for a second frame.

So popularity means talent nowadays... eyesre4.gif

No in the case of The Beatles it's about good songs...

But Ken if you don't think the Beatles wrote good songs then fine, we know now and you can sit back and be happy that you got your opinion across...to a bunch of Rush fans...

Would you like to add anything else or were you finished?

Pssst Kenny, ever heard Eric Johnson's version of Paperback Writer?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 28 2006, 10:46 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 27 2006, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 27 2006, 04:38 PM)
The Beatles were talented.

laugh.gif

That was funnier than watching this big jerk in my grade get hit in the nuts by a soccer ball.

laugh.gif

EDIT:

I could come up with a list of bands more talented than The Beatles. I think it would include every band from the sixties until now, except for the odd rapper or emo/punk band here and there.

If you said this out in public to 99.9% of music fans you'd be a laughing stock, seriously.

Why is that? Because I'm simply stating the fact that The Beatles are very, very far from talented?

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Sep 28 2006, 03:38 PM)

Back to being serious:
Just imagine youhad to pack a small box for, say. one of those green little guys from the Andromeda galaxy who wants to know what that earthly, unnecessary thing called "culture" is all about? The box can't be big, as there are baggage limits in space as well. So you'd pack in one piece for nearly every important form/ era of art.
That's what my box would consist of:
... and "Abbey Road" (not enough space for "Moving Pictures", I'm afraid)

Why scare away the aliens before even getting a chance to find out about them? confused13.gif

QUOTE (YYZ Working Man @ Sep 28 2006, 10:53 PM)
in general and in short-you cant hate the beatles................
They are The Beatles...............

What kind of nonsense is this? One can hate or love whatever they choose to. If, for some reason, they hate The Beatles, then they do. Perhaps you, among other people, cannot hate the Beatles, but there certainly are people out there who are perfectly capable of doing so.

And the last sentence is pointless -- perhaps I should send your post to the Department of Redundency Department.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 29 2006, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 28 2006, 10:46 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 27 2006, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 27 2006, 04:38 PM)
The Beatles were talented.

laugh.gif

That was funnier than watching this big jerk in my grade get hit in the nuts by a soccer ball.

laugh.gif

EDIT:

I could come up with a list of bands more talented than The Beatles. I think it would include every band from the sixties until now, except for the odd rapper or emo/punk band here and there.

If you said this out in public to 99.9% of music fans you'd be a laughing stock, seriously.

Why is that? Because I'm simply stating the fact that The Beatles are very, very far from talented?

This is because you're in a very small minority and I suggest you go out on the street wearing a sandwich board that proclaims your viewpoint if you feel this strongly about it and record the results in a kind of log book. We'll call it Fledgey's Beatles fledgelog...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 29 2006, 03:41 PM)
Why is that?  Because I'm simply stating the fact that The Beatles are very, very far from talented?

fing.gif

Okay, this is just ridiculous. I guess the joke is on me.

Fledgehog is acting like a Beatles troll. yes.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 29 2006, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 29 2006, 03:41 PM)
Why is that?  Because I'm simply stating the fact that The Beatles are very, very far from talented?

fing.gif

Okay, this is just ridiculous. I guess the joke is on me.

Fledgehog is acting like a Beatles troll. yes.gif

Thankfully it's not a Beatles forum. wink.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 29 2006, 11:24 PM)
A Beatles troll?  Perhaps you aren't reading clearly enough.  I'm stating my opinions about The Beatles...That they are not talented.  And you're calling me a troll because of that?

I understand. You're the type of person whose opinion is fact.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 29 2006, 10:04 PM)

A Beatles troll?  Perhaps you aren't reading clearly enough.  I'm stating my opinions about The Beatles...That they are not talented.  And you're calling me a troll because of that?

lol

fledge you can have an opinion about whether you like their music or not, but saying they're not talent is just stupid

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 30 2006, 12:04 AM)

Pot, meet Kettle.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Sep 30 2006, 12:14 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 30 2006, 12:04 AM)

Pot, meet Kettle.

Seriously, if my opinions come across as arrogant or obnoxious, it's not intentional. I know my opinions alone are not facts. But concerning the Beatles, my opinions are shared by many people, generation after generation. It's all about respect. For example, I do not derive one ounce of enjoyment from bands like Dream Theater. But I do respect their musicianship. I just don't like the songs. If that's fledgehog's stance regarding the Beatles, that's fine. It's been fun. By the way, if anyone is really interested in criticizing or defending the Beatles read Revolution in the Head by Ian MacDonald. Both sides of the argument are there.

A Beatles troll? Perhaps you aren't reading clearly enough. I'm stating my opinions about The Beatles...That they are not talented. And you're calling me a troll because of that?

Okay then. From reading your posts, I'm hoping that you are just playing a game. If not, then your opinion really doesn't mean a whole lot. In other words, your opinion sucks!

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Oct 3 2006, 11:55 AM)

Okay then. From reading your posts, I'm hoping that you are just playing a game. If not, then your opinion really doesn't mean a whole lot. In other words, your opinion sucks!

I thought opinions were like assholes?

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 3 2006, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Oct 3 2006, 11:55 AM)

I thought opinions were like assholes?

They are, and yours smell! trink39.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

Hmmm...

As far as I am concerned the Beatles were the first real "progressive" band certainly from Rubber Soul onwards. They developed a certain ambience which was the essence of "englishness". This has been emulated by many bands but never quite replicated, though Genesis came close on some of their earlier recordings.

They were without a doubt peerless innovators and remain leaders in a field of one. Most of the music we enjoy today owes a debt of gratitude to some extent to this band, and this should never be forgotten.

IMO Geoge Harrison was a MUCH better guitar player than Petrucci et al. Could he play as many notes, or throw out the same legatos? of course not, but every note he played met something. You say Octavarium, I say here Comes the Sun blows everything on it out of the water. In another 40 years time, I know which will still be remembered.

Passion, feel, and songwriting ability will always count for much more than technical virtuosity. There are plenty of fretboard wizards out there who will never be more than session musicians.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Oct 4 2006, 05:47 AM)
Hmmm...

As far as I am concerned the Beatles were the first real "progressive" band certainly from Rubber Soul onwards. They developed a certain ambience which was the essence of "englishness". This has been emulated by many bands but never quite replicated, though Genesis came close on some of their earlier recordings.

They were without a doubt peerless innovators and remain leaders in a field of one. Most of the music we enjoy today owes a debt of gratitude to some extent to this band, and this should never be forgotten.

IMO Geoge Harrison was a MUCH better guitar player than Petrucci et al. Could he play as many notes, or throw out the same legatos? of course not, but every note he played met something. You say Octavarium, I say here Comes the Sun blows everything on it out of the water. In another 40 years time, I know which will still be remembered.

Passion, feel, and songwriting ability will always count for much more than technical virtuosity. There are plenty of fretboard wizards out there who will never be more than session musicians.

goodpost.gif

Archived