Album of the year -so far

treeduck

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (fritz44 @ Sep 22 2006, 12:38 PM)
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the best album of the year is Rockford by Cheap Trick. It also has a great cover, but that's a different thread.

Don't forget - ROCKFORD - CHEAP TRICK

I mentioned it wink.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 29 2006, 12:24 PM)
WOLFMOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked the single that was out very much, what's the album like?

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 29 2006, 11:33 PM)
The Wolfmother album was enjoyable the first few times I listened to it, but it got old really fast. It all sounds essentially the same.

I agree it's derivitive to the nth degree, but I still love it.

The first time I put it on in the car after buying it I just laughed when the solo in 'Witchcraft' came on.

It's like "OK guys, we've covered everyone from Zep and Sabbath to The White Stripes......SHIT, we forgot Tull.......OK, my best mate's sister plays a mean Ron Burgandy Jazz Flute......Quick, call her up!!!".

QUOTE (Huck @ Sep 29 2006, 01:51 PM)
WOLFMOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK Huck, take every hard rock album from 1968 to 1974. Put them all in a blender, sift the results carefully through the complete White Stripes catalogue and voila......Wolfmother!!!!.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 29 2006, 06:59 PM)
WOLFMOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK Huck, take every hard rock album from 1968 to 1974. Put them all in a blender, sift the results carefully through the complete White Stripes catalogue and voila......Wolfmother!!!!.

Excellent summation!!!!

QUOTE (Roddy @ Sep 29 2006, 10:56 PM)
QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 29 2006, 06:59 PM)
WOLFMOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent summation!!!!

I concur!

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 30 2006, 04:40 AM)
Personally, most of those bands that do the whole 70s rock thing today annoy the hell out of me, Wolfmother included. At least they're not as bad as Jet though. 062802puke_prv.gif

Oh, I totally agree about Jet. Terrible band in every respect.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 30 2006, 11:19 AM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 30 2006, 04:40 AM)
Personally, most of those bands that do the whole 70s rock thing today annoy the hell out of me, Wolfmother included. At least they're not as bad as Jet though.  062802puke_prv.gif

Oh, I totally agree about Jet. Terrible band in every respect.

Jet sucks! Bring me some Triumph!

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Sep 20 2006, 11:21 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 19 2006, 05:55 PM)
QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Sep 19 2006, 11:32 AM)
David Gilmour On an Island
Rush Replay X 3
Iron Maiden A Matter of Life and Death
Wolfmother self-titled
Steve Miller Band Fly Like an Eagle 30th Anniversary

I envision a time when lists like this are actually made up of newly-released music, not reissues and compilations and DVDs and such.

The music scene of today is a cesspool of processed pop, women who wear next to nothing to sell discs, neutured hip hop and overrated crap like The Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam(Eddie Vedder sounds like he needs Pepto Bismol) and Tool. Tool was pitiful. Thom Yorke's The Eraser is OK but nothing to write home about.

Anniversary editions of albums count as they either have concert DVDs with them or new 5.1 mixes or lost concerts and demos on another CD.

Your not getting deep into the music dude...

Thats all radio crap you just listed...There are soooo many bands that people don't see and hear...sooo much stuff that is under-played and under-appreciated...it makes me sick! sad.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Oct 2 2006, 01:02 PM)
Rush Replay X 3
Wolfmother self-titled

I envision a time when lists like this are actually made up of newly-released music, not reissues and compilations and DVDs and such.

The music scene of today is a cesspool of processed pop, women who wear next to nothing to sell discs, neutured hip hop and overrated crap like The Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam(Eddie Vedder sounds like he needs Pepto Bismol) and Tool. Tool was pitiful. Thom Yorke's The Eraser is OK but nothing to write home about.

Anniversary editions of albums count as they either have concert DVDs with them or new 5.1 mixes or lost concerts and demos on another CD.

Thats all radio crap you just listed...There are soooo many bands that people don't see and hear...sooo much stuff that is under-played and under-appreciated...it makes me sick! sad.gif

I just heard some of Mars Volta's stuff and it is very good and am considering buying their albums at some point. I am working at an indy record store in Florida called Sounds Good Music and my boss intro'd me to Mars Volta and some local blues dudes in the Florida area which are great but are getting ignored in favor of what the crap labels are pushing!

Jet I just don't get what is great about them. Evanescene is the nu-metal Portishead. Amy Lee and Beth Gibbons both whine and cry and should be banished from Earth. When I worked in Quincy Records I was exposed to punk, teen pop and God knows what else.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Oct 2 2006, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Oct 2 2006, 01:02 PM)
Rush Replay X 3
Wolfmother self-titled

I just heard some of Mars Volta's stuff and it is very good and am considering buying their albums at some point. I am working at an indy record store in Florida called Sounds Good Music and my boss intro'd me to Mars Volta and some local blues dudes in the Florida area which are great but are getting ignored in favor of what the crap labels are pushing!

Jet I just don't get what is great about them. Evanescene is the nu-metal Portishead. Amy Lee and Beth Gibbons both whine and cry and should be banished from Earth. When I worked in Quincy Records I was exposed to punk, teen pop and God knows what else.

omg...your working at a local indy record shop??? and the majority of artists you have in your top 5 is old artists?!?!?!

Soooo wrong here. Dude! you work at the best place to get new material. It thrives there! Randomly pick records! Explore!

It was really hard to narrow this down, but here it goes...

1. Beck - The Information

2. Tool - 10,000 Days

3. Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death

4. Muse - Black Holes And Revelations

5. The Mars Volta - Amputechture

Honorable mentions: Keane "Under The Iron Sea", Thom Yorke "The Eraser", Adrian Belew "Side Three", David Gilmour "On An Island", The Flaming Lips "At War With The Mystics", Goo Goo Dolls "Let Love In", Belle & Sebastian "The Life Pursuit"

Evanescene is the nu-metal Portishead. Amy Lee and Beth Gibbons both whine and cry and should be banished from Earth.

Oh I know. confused13.gif I just downloaded the new Evanescence album, just to see what all the fuss is about, and...well...I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. It's the most boring album I've ever listened to.

Archived